Samsung is all about the Options in the tablet market.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DanteMann, Sep 1, 2011.

1. DanteMann, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

DanteMann macrumors 6502

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

It's a very blah product for me. Too fragmented and priced too high.

3. jaytv111 macrumors regular

it's great they offer choice of screen size. I feel my iPad is a little large, the 7.7 and 8.9 look better for me. Though the Galaxy Note looks even better.

4. Liquinn Suspended

I agree. The iPad's a little tad too big.

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm curious if that 7.7" tablet is 16:10 or a little wider. They'll have a winner there if it is a wider screen ratio than the typical 7" tablets, but still at $329 or less in price.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

how can you say the price is too high? there is no announced price.

fwiw, the screen is gorgeous...196ppi (compared to the ipad 132ppi).

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

7 inches didn't sell. 10 inches didn't sell.

But 8.9. That MUST be the answer. Genius.

No no, hold on there . . . it's 7.7. There we go. NOW it'll sell. That fixes everything.

8. ruvil macrumors regular

Weird about all threads popping up in this forum about other tablets :p

9. tekker macrumors regular

10.1 inches did sell... hence Apple suing Samsung
    7 inches did sell... not Apple numbers, but still.
    8.9 isn't out yet.

BTW the new 7.7 is gorgeous.

10. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Don't forget about the 5.3", Samsung is just continuing the trend of fragmentation in the Android market, if I wanted an android tablet I would have no idea what one to choose, there are way too many options. Yes having a choice is good but only to a point, they have so many devices all with different specs, all running different versions of operating systems and all with no guarantee of ongoing support as they keep releasing new devices all the time.

11. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

Say what you will, but sales numbers don't always mean a superior product. The iPad currently has the perception of being The Tablet to get. And it's a great tablet, but it's not the only great tablet. It's true OEMs like Samsung that have the ability to change perception. And they're really out there trying to prove it. I respect a company that fights hard for my money by throwing everything out there. 7.7, 8.9, and 10.1; it's great to have all that choice. And now Samsung are even trying to bring back the stylus with the Galaxy Note. Even when the Dell Streak 5 failed, Samsung still brings out the Galaxy Note and its 5.3 inch SuperAmoled HD display. And it looks amazing.

Hopefully Apple can stop the litigations and start with the innovation. They've already had the Dutch court rule against them on 9 out of the 10 patents. Proving the Galaxy devices ARE NOT COPIES of the idevices. So time to move on and start offering more options. Bring out more devices so you can start competing with making a real ecosystem like Samsung and their full depth of products.

If you can't respect a company that will do as much as Samsung does to get your purchase, then.....oh well.

12. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Samsung are basically just throwing up as many devices as it can hoping that one sticks, it is not releasing all those devices to aid the consumer at all they simply don't know what consumers want.

13. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you find so wrong with that? A company goes balls to the wall; throws out all these different devices to fill the different needs that may exist and let's the consumers pick what they like. And you have a problem with that? Oh wait, are you another blind Apple follower? If so, then that explains it. As a blind follower, your not used to choice. Your used to being told what you should like. Not saying you are one, but just sayin.

14. paulcdb macrumors regular

Samsung is trying too hard, yes it's nice they are trying different sizes but as said already, throwing out so many devices so fast just leads to confusion... but then, it's worked well for RIM! Oh wait... :rolleyes:

I think apple hit the nail on the head in that all the 7" tablets are too big/bulky for your pocket so you might as well just carry round an iPad and enjoy the 10". I'm sure some people are going to disagree, but as they say you can't please some of the people all of the time... and with like 70bil in cash, Apple don't need to please everyone ;)

Also you know with apple that they aren't going to suddenly stop firmware updates just because they've brought out another 20 devices 3 months down the road.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I love a company that tries so hard to confuse me so that no matter what I pick I'm guaranteed to be disappointed since there are dozens of other similar products out there, all making me doubt my own choice.

Seriously, when a company tries hard to increase my anxiety as a consumer, well, that's just super.

Hmmm. Well you're the one urging Samsung to continue consumer-unfriendly practices which can only hurt them in the long run.

Are you sure you're not the blind Apple follower here?

16. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I just don't get it. After looking through the OP's history of posting. About 1 out of every 10 posts that are made refer to, "blind" followers, loyalists and insinuations of users being "blind". Is this strategy working for you OP?

As to my own personal view on the situation, the Android tablet market is like the crowded sedan market in the U.S. Sure there are a lot of choices but nothing is really that appealing. I'd rather take Windows 8 on an arm processor than an Android tablet.

17. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

There are Android phones about to be releases with 4.5" screens. Soon they will be so big that phones can be tablets and tablets can be phones.

18. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I can say so because the 10 inch one is $499. If they sold it at $299 it would be a killer tablet. I feel apple is the only one who can justify a $499 tablet.

----------

Exactly. Very well put.

Samsung is desperate. Even their so called popular galaxy S phones didn't sell well or get much attention after launches. The problem is they try to hype the product and the product doesn't have the hardware or software to back it up.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

Funny how the company that has jump-started the tablet market is viewed as anti-innovative but Samsung, who was nowhere on the tablet scene until it started trying to tap into the iPad craze (look! we're even thinner!) i viewed as "good" and "innovative" (we have different sizes!!) when nobody can dispute they're jumping on a bandwagon created by Apple. Infringing or not, they make no bones about trying to replicate every positive element of the iPad.

20. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

Cut the crap already, will you! Apple isn't telling anyone what they should like. So cut it out. They are making a tablet at a size that they believe is the "sweet spot." Consumer can choose to buy it or not buy it. How does that translate into telling people what they should like?

Look at this from a business perspective. A product can't be everything to everyone. The iPad can't be everything to everyone. Apple knows this as well as anyone else. But if Apple tries to make an iPad for every single person, they run the risk of spreading themselves too thin. It is better to do a good job on a few products than to do an okay job of many products. While it is possible to do a good job on many products, the size of the team has to be big enough to handle all those products.

Apple's approach is to design a small set of products that appeals to as many people as possible. If people like it, they'll buy it. Those who need something more specialized can buy something else. Let's take ruggedized laptops for example. One could argue that Apple should make a ruggedized laptop for military, law enforcement, and other people who need such devices. But Apple will ask themselves the following: How many people are going to want such a device? From their perspective, the resources spent on developing such a specialized, niche product could be better spent on improving what they're already working on.

Samsung is doing something else. They are trying to break up their target market into a set of submarkets, or focus groups, and create products that appeal to each of those groups. This results in a fragmented product portfolio. Samsung's desire to give consumer choice (which I think is baloney, btw) becomes their own worst enemy. By having products all over the place, they are unable to do a good job on each product, which costs their consumers a lot of innovation which they will not be able to enjoy.

21. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

In this particular market, they're also a barometer of whether a product is good enough to compete, or sputter and die. Very often there is no middle ground.

Tell RIM and HP your "sales numbers don't always mean a superior product" line. I'm sure they'll find comfort in it.

This particular segment of the market isn't the traditional computer segment. We're not talking about Macs vs. PCs here. It's an entirely different ballgame with different rules.
    It's well-earned. It's that way by design.
    Well they can certainly *try.* No harm in that. Unless you don't really know what you're doing and your "trying" is a complete waste of time to begin with.

If you're looking to give Samsung points over the sheer fact that they're putting *something* out there, then I guess they're due that. Though it's a pretty weak reason.
    Again, you can respect them, but if it's a subpar or weak effort (or worse, a desperate effort to remain relevant), all the respect in the world you give them for fighting for your dollar ends up being worthless for them, and more importantly (from the consumer's perspective) worthless to you. Trying is just not enough.

Alright. But choices between what? Out of the frying pan and into the fire? Like the choice between a 7-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch Playbook, for example? Same lousy device, just different sizes of lousy.

Choice doesn't matter when it's a deficient, flawed, or uncompetitive device to begin with. It doesn't do anyone much good. The term for that is "choiceless choices." The notion of choice rendered moot when the product is lacking to begin with.
    Or aping bad choices made by someone else.
    Start? When did they end it? All Apple does is innovate. And of course, protect that innovation. Something which others don't quite have the guts (or the case) to do, but which Apple for some mysterious reason happens to make quite a bit of headway with.

Maybe it's the competition that just needs to step up their game. why can't they pull off a June 2007 or a January 2010? Why do all the market sea-changes have to be started by Apple? It coulda been some other CEO of some other company doing that landmark keynote in June 2007 or January 2010. But no. It was Apple's Steve Jobs.

If everything was fine and dandy with Samsung there wouldn't be any delays. They keep having to hand over their stuff to Apple. That isn't normal.
    What depth?

One solid device, done right. All you need.

"Real ecosystem"? I know of none more solid and deep than Apple's. Interesting how the competition is not able to come up with one device - a single device - in either smartphone segment or the tablet segment that is an iPhone-Killer or an iPad-Killer. What's up with that? Why the need to offer all manner of sizes and at all price points? Apple doesn't do any of this and they are either the gold standard in the segment or have majority share, or both.
    A company's efforts are meaningless if they result in false starts, mediocrity and half-measures. They get my respect (as they should yours) when they get it right and offer a superior user experience.

Looks like Apple's rivals still have a way to go. "Trying hard" aint gonna cut it.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

but it's premature to say the least, that the price is high when the fact remains that the price hasn't been released yet.

23. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

<Typical "Competition is good for us" comment>

Dis is tha best 4 costum3rs, moar optionzzz.. Applezz iz tha 3vil, g00gle iz FTW.

24. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Apple should be worried about Samsung. The Galaxy S2 has sold millions and they've shown they are in this for the long term unlike RIM and HP.

As for different screen sizes, why is Apple the only one who can dictate the "correct size" for everyone. As this market matures, not unlike PCs, cars, TVs, etc. choice is important since everyone has different needs. This is how PCs beat the Mac in the 90s and Samsung is following the same playbook.

Apple will always be the most profitable manufacturer but may not always have the largest share.

25. bearbear macrumors regular

looks like a fantastic little tablet to me. Not everyone wants or needs a 10in tablet, and Samsung is filling that niche nicely. The iPad may only be 10 inches right now, but if one of those sizes were to take off, there's no doubt that Apple would offer something similar to compete. In this case, everyone wins.

I was kind of hoping they would release something with the Transformer's form factor, though. Then things could really get interesting.