Samsung is planning on suing iPhone 5 as soon as it's announced to ban sales from US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Sep 29, 2011.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Samsung just told reporters that they will be suing Apple's iPhone 5 on October 4th. They will be filling a patent dispute on October 4th to ban iPhone 5 sales in US and Europe...

I don't see how samsung is going to pull this one off...

2. ap3604, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

ap3604 macrumors 68000

All they are trying to do is get Apple to make it ok to have a similar design (which I applaud).

This is a good thing for the consumer :)

Apple: "We are suing you for having similar designs"
    Samsung: "We are suing you for using our 3g patents"
    Apple: "Oh... your suing us too? Ok lets just cross liscense and we both drop our lawsuits then"

Consumers: "Yay! Now we get to have nicely looking phones/tablets by both Samsung and Apple"

3. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

i think both sammy and apple should stop the whole thing and focus on their targets!!:eek:

4. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yea, but Samsung really did copy apple...

I don't see how Apple copied Samsung.

5. realitycheck69 macrumors member

No real point, prime is gonna crush the 4s anyways

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

No one ever said Apple copied Samsung...

Apple is using 3g technology patents owned by Samsung without paying for them. That is what Samsung is suing about in order to get it ok for them to copy the iPhones design.

Btw why in the hell would any consumer care if Samsung (or any other manufacturer) copies Apples design?! :confused:

It's a nice look and I like the option of having it on both Android, Win Phone, and iPhones. Why would a customer try to purposefully limit their own choices just to protect the profit margins of a $70 billion company that doesn't even know who you are? :confused:

If Kia came out with an identical BMW looking car for $12,000 I'd be happy to have the option of a nice looking car for cheaper. I wouldn't be screaming that Kia shouldn't copy BMW and make it so that I have to buy an actual BMW and spend $50,000 instead :rolleyes:

Makes no sense...

7. naths macrumors 6502

Ummm...3G.....samsungs patent

8. Muro macrumors 6502

What!Samsung seeks Dutch ban on iPhone and iPad

Are they f...ing out of their mind. I am already nearly stressed out on this iPhone 5 madness. I waited so many years for buying my first iPhone and now these chipmunks are planning to ban it in my beloved country and fill it with that Samsung junk...hell no!
    Help me guys, do something!!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/sep/26/samsung-apple

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple depends on the backbone of Asians to make their stuff. Look at the back of your iPhone and you will see "Assembled in China." Everything from Samsung providing the chip, LG manufacturing the "Retina Display", and Sony likely offering the camera module over OmniVision in the next iPhone. The design and software comes from Apple. That gets all the credit. But most of the dirty work of manufacturing an iDevice comes from the blood, sweat, and tears of Asian labor.

Samsung has never been a great software company. I can see why Apple sued them from copying. But when it comes to better hardware specs on a phone, I feel Samsung surpassed Apple six months ago and will continue to widen the gap while Apple falls on lawsuits from the look of a 4-year old GUI. Samsung already has a 5.3-inch screen phone with stylus for a capacitive screen as well as flexible OLED. I will be interested if Samsung can make Tizen (aka MeeGo) go beyond what iOS can do. Never underestimate the Koreans in tech or in nuclear warfare.

I predict the next iPhone will be pretty much on par with the Galaxy S II. The initial excitement is just from the waiting, the teases, and wanting to get something new to camp out for it. People do need to upgrade. Apple fans will be rejoicing they will have new features that has been available on other platforms and the JB dev community for years.

Serves Apple right for starting this crap. Just a bunch of marketers and lawyers. I can see why T-Mobile and Verizon are siding with Samsung. Apple has stolen many ideas from others and just ran with it. The mp3 players were invented by the Koreans. Sony made it possible to have portable music with this gadget called a Walkman over 30 years ago. The hard drives on the older iPods were from Toshiba. LG was the first to introduce an all-touchscreen phone that was capacitive. Xerox came up with the GUI. Cisco had the rights to the name "iPhone" first. Even Jobs' always wanted to emulate The Beatles success but had Apple Corps suing Apple Computer for nearly 30 years. The true engineering and cheaper labor from Asians that Apple just pays off to while they take all the credit.

I just hope Apple doesn't win. I would be pissed if the Samsung Galaxy Note doesn't arrive in the U.S.

A short history of Apple's aggressive legal tactics
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20003807-260.html

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Apple fired the first shot and now MAD has started. In terms of weapons here Apple is a little under armed. They lack some of the key patents that the players who have been in the cell phone production market since it began.

11. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Wake me when Samsung has an original idea for a product.

Copycating doesn't help the consumer -- it just remove any incentive for innovation when someone can do no work and make money off your good idea.

Incidentally, it'd be nice if our courts were in the bag for the hometown the way courts are in Korea and the rest of Asia. American products never get a fair shake over there in the justice system, I'd like to see their stuff get taken to the cleaners here every so often.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I dont think most people think through the "good for consumer" statements.

If people blatantly rip off designs, like Samsung did (normally I am skeptical about Apple lawsuits but this one has a point) then what is the motivation to innovate if someone else can come steal your designs right after you make them?

Not to mention all those out there who say "competition is good for consumers" don't think their statements through either. Competition can sometimes be good for consumers, but not all the time especially when competition leads to fragmentation or worse, standards set by competing companies that everyone is stuck following (like the U.S. cell phone system).

----------

Thats not copying if its licensed. Yes there is speculation whether Apple licensed 3g or not but honestly, I can't see Apple being dumb enough to not license something like that.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Apples motivation is profits.

Did Samsung coming out with a phone that looks similar to the iPhone somehow make the iPhone not successful at profits? I think not...

It wouldn't matter if Samsung came out with an Android phone that is an EXACT replica of the iPhone 4... people would still buy the iPhone due to iOS and Apple would make record profits as always so the whole argument of "whats the motivation?" when it comes to the look of a phone is complete ********.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No I'm sorry but you are wrong. How would you feel if someone was allowed to rip off a design of something you created? You absolutely cannot tell me that you wouldn't be mad about that. That is the reason patent laws exist in the first place is to protect people who create things from getting ripped off. To think this is OK is just silly.

15. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

f samsung

16. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If I had $70 billion in reserves and was going to make even more record profits with an iPhone 5? No I wouldn't be that dumb to get riled up over a similar look of a different phone...

17. Bojan macrumors member

Bojan

Thats simply not happening, so don't worry, we will get our iPhone 5s. Can't wait to migrate to to iOS, Android is still not stable enough