Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Samsung Launches Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Z Fold 2, and Galaxy Buds to Compete With Apple's iPhones and AirPods Pro

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
again, while the iPhones may not be great at multitasking, explain to me why the iPads can have several apps running at once, on the screen, with slide over, picture and picture, split view, and spaces, and yet they only need 4 GB of RAM. Even iPads with less RAM can still do all this

I was talking about iPhones not iPads. Yes iPads are good at multitasking. I use spilt screen and Picture in Picture a lot but the ram still isn’t enough.

There’s a reason why the 2020 iPad Pro’s have 6GB ram now as it needs it and in my experience even with 6GB there still needs to be more. Apps still sometimes refresh on 6GB of ram. All the multitasking the iPad has android phones have on their phones devices which is why more ram is needed. They also have pop up windows where you can have as many windows as you can fit which takes up more ram

Comment

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You make some fine points, but none of them really show how Samsung is better in any of the ways I mention. We can't just ignore inferior chip performance (regardless of limitations, it's a mobile device and that's the better move), the shady privacy practices of the very OS they use, a non existent Samsung ecosystem, a completely botched Fold roll out (again, Apple would never release a phone with a crease down the middle), 5 years of software support (unheard of with any Android phone), and the best available in store support. It's totally fair to have your preference, but your grasping with the points you mention.
Perhaps you misunderstand I am not here to persuade you of the better features of Samsung that excel in some areas as much as Apple excel in others :)

As you like to add in the Fold gain i equally note on trivia like no other OEM has released such a floored keyboard like Apple that's taken them 3 years to finally admit defeat, Apple is no exception to any other OEM

The Samsung ECO is leaping forward in some areas over of Apple now and say there is no ECO is just denial

I think it's yourself that's grasping to old rumors and have not kept pace of where Apple is lagging now both in tech and even utilization of raw power that's simply not tapped

I applaud Apple support but unfortunately they ignore so many users/owners world wide that many forget that they are not constant to all customers who pay the same premium price, your just simply lucky you live in a country with such support

As we noted before personal preferences and priorities is all that pushes most in one direction or the other their are no losers whatever flagship phone you choose these days :)

Comment

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
FYI the UTG glass Samsung used on the Z Flip/Flip 5G is used on Both the 2020 Galaxy Notes. Further more the Galaxy Note Ultra is the one with the slightly curved screen like last year while the non-Ultra doesn’t.

I see a major hardware decision issue between these products.

Note Ultra battery: 4500mAh
Note battery: 4300mAh.
why couldn’t the Ultra have a much larger battery? Most likely Samsung is using existo battery parts bin from the Galaxy lineup to save on R&D and manufacturing costs considering COVID-19 May resurge and affect sales. Recall last fiscal quarter of 2019 Samsung got butt hurt with significant drop of revenues and sales.

Note 6.7”
Note Ultra 6.9” screen at higher resolution; and limited 120Hz refresh usage - NOT at full resolution if enabled. What’s the point then?!

Apple doesn’t have anything to worry about with their iPhone 12 lineup, MacBoos using ASi cpu and with AppleWatch 6 this year.

speaking of which, isn’t the AW6 a little late in being announced?!

EDITED: Note battery capacity correction and screen sizes of Note and Note Ultra.

I thought the Notes had the typical Gorilla Glass? I did research and it does look like the UTG glass of the flip is on the Fold 2 which is great news. Back to the Note yeah it looks like the curved screen is on the Ultra, which is a negative for me as I hate curved screens, I'd much rather have no curve on the sides, but it's a moot point as I highly doubt I would buy a Note. Now the Fold 2, I've been wrestling with that decision since the Fold 1 came out.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Perhaps you misunderstand I am not here to persuade you of the better features of Samsung that excel in some areas as much as Apple excel in others :)

As you like to add in the Fold gain i equally note on trivia like no other OEM has released such a floored keyboard like Apple that's taken them 3 years to finally admit defeat, Apple is no exception to any other OEM

The Samsung ECO is leaping forward in some areas over of Apple now and say there is no ECO is just denial

I think it's yourself that's grasping to old rumors and have not kept pace of where Apple is lagging now both in tech and even utilization of raw power that's simply not tapped

I applaud Apple support but unfortunately they ignore so many users/owners world wide that many forget that they are not constant to all customers who pay the same premium price, your just simply lucky you live in a country with such support

As we noted before personal preferences and priorities is all that pushes most in one direction or the other their are no losers whatever flagship phone you choose these days :)

:)

Comment

spinedoc77

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2009
I was talking about iPhones not iPads. Yes iPads are good at multitasking. I use spilt screen and Picture in Picture a lot but the ram still isn’t enough.

There’s a reason why the 2020 iPad Pro’s have 6GB ram now as it needs it and in my experience even with 6GB there still needs to be more. Apps still sometimes refresh on 6GB of ram. All the multitasking the iPad has android phones have on their phones devices which is why more ram is needed. They also have pop up windows where you can have as many windows as you can fit which takes up more ram

iPads suck at multi tasking IMO, even with the 6gb RAM. What really makes them suck is how many apps refresh or lose what they were doing when backgrounded, to me that's as far away from multitasking as it gets. I know you were referencing more multitasking with apps onscreen which is a bit different but is still meh IMO. I don't think RAM is the issue though, that aggressive backgrounding is more due to wanting to conserve battery life.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

if you mean Apple is just as capable as Samsung (note 7) of releasing products that could have problems, that’s correct.
Maybe you can explain your thoughts on this because I don’t see it.
The two thoughts are opposite one another. Apple designing better processors mesns they lead in tech. Are you referring to headphone jack? Cellular modem? ir blaster? As screen? Camera? All of this can be picked apart.
No matter where you live your iPhone 5s will get an iOS 12 update. But hardware support, yes there are differences worldwide, similar to Samsung.
True.

Comment

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Maybe you can explain your thoughts on this because I don’t see it.
Thanks for your thoughts :)

I was referencing to the Samsung/MS collaboration as we have seen the integration and cross functionality is increasing way beyond simple ECO of answering calls. messaging, clipboard, photos etc etc on your laptop

Your Phone app was already becoming quite powerful and the new functionality emerging takes it to another level

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Can you really call it an ecosystem when neither company owns all aspects of it? Feels more like a marriage of convenience.

It also shows that Samsung has pretty much abandoned any hope or ambition to compete with the giants and move into content distribution. I find it funny that Apple’s efforts in developing apple music go largely under-appreciated (especially when it forms such an integral part of the core experience of products like the Apple Watch), yet people are cheering Samsung collaborating with Netflix and Microsoft?

I am surprised nobody has discussed the possibility of this partnership falling apart or dissolving one day when either company feels it is no longer in their interest to remain a part of it.

But at the end of the day, it shows why Apple is able to earn the handsome profits that they do (because they do all the hard work of building out their own ecosystem), and why other phone companies don’t.

They each reap what they sow.

Reactions: I7guy
Comment

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Can you really call it an ecosystem when neither company owns all aspects of it? Feels more like a marriage of convenience.

It also shows that Samsung has pretty much abandoned any hope or ambition to compete with the giants and move into content distribution. I find it funny that Apple’s efforts in developing apple music go largely under-appreciated (especially when it forms such an integral part of the core experience of products like the Apple Watch), yet people are cheering Samsung collaborating with Netflix and Microsoft?

I am surprised nobody has discussed the possibility of this partnership falling apart or dissolving one day when either company feels it is no longer in their interest to remain a part of it.

But at the end of the day, it shows why Apple is able to earn the handsome profits that they do (because they do all the hard work of building out their own ecosystem), and why other phone companies don’t.

They each reap what they sow.
By all means give it another name :) but you are likely more exposed to divorce by Apple than the marriage of convince you like to note

The whole issue of single source and monopolistic like control is the concern of many countries and governments who seek to protect their citizens

We have already seen how Apple at a whim can change a simple cable or delete apps or change OS that impact millions of people directly.

Millions of devices/accessories made obsolete, or app purchases etc developers time gone etc this is far worse that a some collaboration drop out you imply as this is what Apple has done to customers already

The very thing that makes the Apple ECO is a double edge sword of entrapment in many ways leading ultimately to all your eggs in one basket, they hope

The very fact they have successively lured many an owner in to a single source environment for little gain these days is to their success by making freedom of choice a financial impact to encourage re-purchase

I do not believe any Apple owners has deliberately committed knowing the full implications as it's simply been a stealth development that suddenly one day you realize the magnitude and implications that have been accepted

Of course there are many happy Apple ECO owners who are contented on the presumption of the convenience it brings but never forget it is Apple who own the Pandora Box

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thanks for your thoughts :)

I was referencing to the Samsung/MS collaboration as we have seen the integration and cross functionality is increasing way beyond simple ECO of answering calls. messaging, clipboard, photos etc etc on your laptop

Your Phone app was already becoming quite powerful and the new functionality emerging takes it to another level
In the back of my mind I thought you might be referencing cross-vendor functionality. Dell connect is doing something with iMessage and through edge on iOS I have my browser hooked up to windows 10. So good attempts on Microsoft’s part to expand ecosystems beyond the OEMs.

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
By all means give it another name :) but you are likely more exposed to divorce by Apple than the marriage of convince you like to note

The whole issue of single source and monopolistic like control is the concern of many countries and governments who seek to protect their citizens
From a company that has a minority share of the smartphone market?

We have already seen how Apple at a whim can change a simple cable or delete apps or change OS that impact millions of people directly.
Like the 30 pin to lightning connector on the iPhone 5 in 2012? To a connect that was better in every way than the 30 pin.

Millions of devices/accessories made obsolete, or app purchases etc developers time gone etc this is far worse that a some collaboration drop out you imply as this is what Apple has done to customers already
How were millions of devices and accessories made obsolete? Don’t forget Samsung also dropped the headphone jack on some of it’s models rendering headphone accessories obsolete as well.

The very thing that makes the Apple ECO is a double edge sword of entrapment in many ways leading ultimately to all your eggs in one basket, they hope
This is a clear benefit to consumers, imo. With market competition nobody is forcing anybody to buy Apple products if the way Apple runs their business doesn’t meet consumer expectations.

The very fact they have successively lured many an owner in to a single source environment for little gain these days is to their success by making freedom of choice a financial impact to encourage re-purchase
There’s an old expression about fooling some of the people some of the time. Lured is absolutely the wrong word here. Apple has figured out how to give the majority of it’s customer base an experience that makes them want to come back.

I do not believe any Apple owners has deliberately committed knowing the full implications as it's simply been a stealth development that suddenly one day you realize the magnitude and implications that have been accepted
You think Apple customers are that ignorant?

Of course there are many happy Apple ECO owners who are contented on the presumption of the convenience it brings but never forget it is Apple who own the Pandora Box
Apple isn’t perfect, but they are a far cry from a Pandora box. And Samsung has no ecosystem to speak of and is dependent on Qualcomm and google.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE
Comment

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
From a company that has a minority share of the smartphone market?

Like the 30 pin to lightning connector on the iPhone 5 in 2012? To a connect that was better in every way than the 30 pin.

How were millions of devices and accessories made obsolete? Don’t forget Samsung also dropped the headphone jack on some of it’s models rendering headphone accessories obsolete as well.

This is a clear benefit to consumers, imo. With market competition nobody is forcing anybody to buy Apple products if the way Apple runs their business doesn’t meet consumer expectations.

There’s an old expression about fooling some of the people some of the time. Lured is absolutely the wrong word here. Apple has figured out how to give the majority of it’s customer base an experience that makes them want to come back.

You think Apple customers are that ignorant?

Apple isn’t perfect, but they are a far cry from a Pandora box. And Samsung has no ecosystem to speak of and is dependent on Qualcomm and google.

I think you may be reading too much in to this :)

I an simply noting there are pros and cons to a closed or even open ECO/system whatever you wish to call it

Of course Apple owners are not ignorant but there is not many relatively inconsequential purchases that suddenly become a limiting factor when you may wish to consider other OEM alternatives for whatever reason

Hate it or love it Apple have extraordinary control over owners due to single source, hence my reference to monopolistic like control

Sure ultimately users/owners can vote with their wallets, Apple just make sure for many it's a more painful process to walk away :)

Reactions: I7guy
Comment

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
QHD is 1440p no?

iPhone is 1242p
Technically it is 2560 x 1440
Max is 2688 x 1242, so not standard qHD but -just- under it in total amount of pixels to push. It’s smudging the facts to say “Apple had crap resolution they could do 120hz at native unlike qHD android”. They could easily do it on their cheap phones, but it obviously is a feature they want to start with on the expensive phones.

Last edited:
Comment

Klyster

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2013
Technically it is 2560 x 1440
Max is 2688 x 1242, so not standard qHD but -just- under it in total amount of pixels to push. It’s smudging the facts to say “Apple had crap resolution they could do 120hz at native unlike qHD android”. They could easily do it on their cheap phones, but it obviously is a feature they want to start with on the expensive phones.

Yeah, my comment wasn't to bag Apple displays, we all know they have great displays in the top end phones.

It was more about the "exceeds" part, not that it's really important, I'd agree that there's not really any visual resolution difference at the size of these displays though, the same with what Samsung calls QHD+, its really just either an slight extension or slight reduction to one of the axis.

Anyway, displays these days are amazing, when the notches or punch holes are eliminated, they will be even better.

I'd imagine Apple want 120hz to work all the time and not be a battery issue.

I can see why they're waiting, and yeah, people will be paying a premium initially, like you say, top end only.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.