Samsung phone explodes in little 6 year old boy’s hands, burns him

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by wongster41, Sep 11, 2016.

  1. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
  2. widgeteer macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2016
    #3
    Hoping it's a hoax, myself. Hate for anyone to get hurt.
     
  3. jamezr macrumors G4

    jamezr

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    US
    #4
    I hope the little boy is ok!
    This is bad parenting! Your child should not have the Note 7 in his hands. It has been recalled. Samsung says turn it off and return it.
     
  4. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #5
    Its possible they are unaware of the recall. Were tech nuts - not everyone's world.
     
  5. widgeteer macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2016
    #6
  6. thats all folks, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

    thats all folks macrumors 6502a

    thats all folks

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2013
    Location:
    Austin (supposedly in Texas)
    #7
    unfortunately, there in not yet an recall (official or otherwise), even if media outlets all calling it such, simply an offer from Samsung to replace, with a different model, any device brought in. and it appears Samsung stopped deliveries before announcing that there was a potential problem. So far it has been essentially 3rd parties (such as CU and the US CPSC) urging people to shut down their phones and not connect them to chargers.

    clearly more immediate and stronger action is called for.

    edit: I may be under-representing Samsung's response. every article I looked at just quoted the same press release.
     
  7. jamezr, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

    jamezr macrumors G4

    jamezr

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    US
    #8
    No they got emails and texts from Samsung and their carriers. That is much is factual. I have Note 7 and have received numerous emails from TMO and Samsung that have said to power down the Note and return it. I have received texts from TMO saying the same thing.

    Power down your Note7 and exchange it now‏
    Read for an important update regarding your Galaxy Note7
    [​IMG]
    Your safety remains our top priority

    Dear ****, In response to our recent announcement regarding battery cell issues with the Galaxy Note7, we are advising that you power down your Note7 and exchange it now through our U.S. Product Exchange Program.

    We strongly advise all customers to use this exchange program because your safety is our top priority. Additional sales and shipments of the affected devices have been stopped, but if you already have a Galaxy Note7, we strongly advise that you replace it.

    Details on how to exchange your Galaxy Note7 can be found at www.samsung.com/us/Note7exchange or at 1‑800‑SAMSUNG.

    Click here to get started.
    You received this email as a valued subscriber of Samsung updates and promotions.
    To ensure delivery, please add MySamsung@email.samsungusa.com to your address book. Learn how.

    Please do not reply to this email. If you need to contact us with questions or feedback, please contact Customer Service.

    If you no longer wish to receive email from Samsung, click here to unsubscribe.

    Legal | Privacy Policy
    © 2016 Samsung Electronics America, Inc. Samsung is a registered trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Use only in accordance with law. Other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners. Screen images simulated. Actual appearances may vary.

    Samsung Electronics America
    85 Challenger Road
    Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660
     
  8. FFR macrumors 65816

    FFR

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Location:
    London
  9. Michael Goff macrumors G4

    Michael Goff

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    #10
    Are you serious?
     
  10. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

    GrumpyMom

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2014
    #11
    If the parents knew about the recall, then yes, that was careless of them. But it is entirely possible they didn't know. It depends on when they got a notice from their carrier. I didn't get an email notice from Samsung urgently telling me to shut off the Note 7 (that I already returned last week) until Saturday morning--the 10th. It was an email, not a text, so could have easily been overlooked by the parents in the barrage of welcome emails and junk sent by Samsung. And it is well over a week since they notified carriers.

    My carrier, AT&T was far more proactive and contacted me via text as soon as Samsung had informed them of the problems. Still, most of what I learned of the problem, I learned here on this forum well before AT&T contacted me.
     
  11. Savor Suspended

    Savor

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2010
    #12
    I remember when I lived in SoCal, alot of wild fires especially during late summers when the air was very dry. Media suggested they were started by arsonists to collect insurance money from their homes.

    I need to see actual videos of the Note7. I see a burned up jeep but who knows if "some" of these stories are fabricated by arsonists and have insurance for it. Not saying all of them are fake. But not all of them could be true either. Someone just lit something and wants to blame the Note7 for it. Samsung has officially acknowledged it is a battery problem, so we know many of the stories are true. But are they ALL true?

    A sealed battery problem which I hope they rectify by going removable for the Note8. Karma on planned obsolescence with this non removable crap. I don't want to base my lifetime usage with a phone from a sealed battery's life expectancy. I want to control my own fate with my phone. Leave the planned obsolescence, disposable fashion accessories for the iPhone users. ;)

    What could end up worse is if the Note7 replacements also causes battery explosions. We have arsonists to sell these stories to the media. Then it becomes a total fiasco which I hope really convinces Samsung to go removable battery next year. This is karma on the greed dealing with planned obsolescence like having sealed batteries.

    So we think, forget the service center. Go buy a new one. More e-waste. The mindset needs to change. Samsung needs to change their approach next year and go back to removable like what LG and Nokia are still doing. Glad I waited on the Note7 and didn't rush with the iPhone 7. Let the early adopters rushing to buy it for full price and have no clue of the problems be my beta testers. If the problem still persist, S7 edge. Samsung still gets my money either way.
     
  12. ronntaylor macrumors regular

    ronntaylor

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    Flushing/Queens, New York
    #13
    It's a damn shame. The CPSC should have instituted a mandatory recall by now. Samsung was aware of this issue about two weeks ago, if not longer. Are they waiting for someone to be put in critical condition? To die?

    It's easy to blame the parents, but given most Note buyers aren't being offered loaners and new, improved Note 7s are only available starting later this week, what do you expect people to do? There truly is no option for the vast majority of buyers. Going without a phone is not viable.
     
  13. ceva321 macrumors 6502

    ceva321

    #14
    This "incident" allegedly happened, more people trying to cash in , disgusting
     
  14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    #15

    I never got any emails or texts from Samsung or my Carrier. And I even checked my spam section. So I wouldn't be surprised if other didn't eithier.
     
  15. MRU, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

    MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Other
    #16
    Likewise if someone was gifted a phone, or bought from Swappa / craigslist or similar - they too would not get any email or carrier message.

    Likewise even if the device was turned off, the situation in this case seems to be a child was being minded by a grandparent. Children being children can pick up anything and turn it on, the grandparent likely would not have known anything was wrong.

    Likewise there has been a plethora of misinformation on the internet about this 'only' affecting devices if they were being charged. That was said/claimed/reiterated a number of times in this forum too by members here.

    There is far far too much deflection & excuses going on in the forum. This is not Apple's fault or anything to do with apple. This is not fault of parents or users or even carriers. There is NO 'greater' conspiracy here other than a mess up by Samsung.

    This is simply Samsung having serious QC issue, that is a greater problem than people first assumed, and whilst Samsung did at least make an effort to combat this with a voluntary recall early, the fact remains that they need to do more. Mandatory national TV / Radio and News/Press spots highlighting the recall - something I am sure Samsung has wanted to avoid, should be implemented as is usual for an 'official' recall.
     
  16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    #17
    They supposedly will disactive all Note 7s after Sept 30. IMO, they should already be doing that. It would be an inconvenience to some, but users would have to understand
     
  17. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Other
    #18
    Agreed. Merely inconveniencing your customer is far better outcome at the end of the day than putting them / leaving them at actual risk.

    When they say 'deactivating' I assume they mean to simply blacklist the devices so they can not be used on a carrier, they still are not remotely 'turning' them off. Whilst this may prompt users to change the device, it still doesn't stop them being turned on.
     
  18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    #19
    Yea, you can still use it on wifi.
     
  19. ronntaylor macrumors regular

    ronntaylor

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2004
    Location:
    Flushing/Queens, New York
    #20
    They have said it's not true. I doubted that option, especially since Samsung didn't even work with the CPSC initially for the recall.
     
  20. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

    Suckfest 9001

    Joined:
    May 31, 2015
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    Total hoax, the phone pictured is not in fact on fire. Heil Samsung.

    /mi7chy
     
  21. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #22
    Makes sense. I recant my statement :)
     
  22. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Other
    #23
    That was Jamezr's email from his carrier. It does not mean the owners in this particular case got the same email, likewise in this instance it seems the child was being minded by a grandparent. We do not know if the device was initially turned off, not being used and then the child, being a child (as children do) went and turned it on to play with. The grandparent themselves was likely oblivious to the recall even if the parent was, and the potential danger of using the device.

    All this is by the by. At the end of the day a child is injured by a device and Samsung need to increase the awareness of the possible dangers the device represents to a much greater extent rather than relying on email or text messages to spread awareness ...
     
  23. mrex macrumors 68020

    mrex

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2014
    Location:
    europe
    #24
    no one reads news anymore? i have seen so many headlines already so many times that what the hell people do, if they dont know...

    if you dont act after seeing it, your own fault.
     
  24. burgman macrumors 65816

    burgman

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2013
    #25
    Another earth is flat, Tinfoil hats protect you, well done there.
     

Share This Page