Samsung seek to ban iPhone and iPad in Netherlands

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, Sep 23, 2011.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

I find if funny how so many Apple loyalists seem to think Sammy is just some copycat company that doesn't innovate. Seriously, do you follow Apple so blindly that you don't care for the facts. If Samsung aren't innovators, then what exaclty are they supplying Apple with. Well, since Apple started this mess, it really looks like Sammy is intent on finishing it.

Read

2. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

Just got back from Seoul. Even people there don't think Samsung innovates.

3. Qoo macrumors 6502

if samsung is innovate enough then apple won't become a leader in the market now. Technology Century things keep changing every single minute, if you aren't innovate enough you will fall behind immediately.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Take an iPad, a Samsung tablet, and a Sony tablet. You will see that two of them look very, very similar, and the third one, made by Sony, looks completely different. Two companies, Apple and Sony, have developed their own design. One company, Samsung, has acted as a copycat. I think the opinion that "Samsung is just some copycat company" doesn't come from being a loyalist, but from not being completely blind.

5. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

So again let me ask, if Samsung don't innovate, what exactly are they supplying Apple with. Copycat components? They are the world leader in advanced memory technology, they hold more patents than most. I think IBM are the only ones who have more. Seriously, you wanna blanket them with the term "Copycat" because their tablet "resembles" the iPad? They win engineering awards for their display technology, and the list goes on and on. Are you sure your not completely blind?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The argument is "Samsung vs Apple" in product design and software, not about components.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

"The patents in question are so called standards-essential, which means they are incorporated in internationally accepted technology standards—in this case, 3G and UMTS standards as ratified by organizations such as ETSI"

this basically means that, best case scenario for samsung, they can make apple pay to license the technology...and they'll need damn good lawyers to get that

nothing is getting banned as a result of this, and they know that, but if they just asked for what they wanted, they wouldn't get it...they need to ask for more and then "settle" for what they're really after

----------

samsungs component business (chips, memory, etc) is essentially seperate from their consumer electronics business

their component business innovates; their consumer electronics business does not

8. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

Those components that they made, are not what they designed. Apple is the sole owner of what they supplied, do you see an A5 somewhere else? Or perhaps, a retina display?

You got to think with eyes open.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I agree with everything you said, except that which I bolded for you. One does not need to innovate a darn thing to sell parts for a product. Samsung has huge manufacturing plants to pump out these parts. Doesn't mean they have innovated a thing (except maybe the production line and/or equipment needed to take raw materials and turn them into the parts Apple buys).

10. kaizenmx macrumors regular

Who did you talk with? Bunch of immigrants and not actual Seoulites? If Samsung is not innovative, then their TV products would be a complete joke.

I swear, sometimes you apple drones don't think before you talk.

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Samsung all but runs the government in South Korea. I doubt that its very easy to find an unbiased opinion about the company one way or the other.

As to innovation, a lot of people do it.... but then they rush to emulate any products that have commercial success.

This is how ALL industries work. Notice that I said emulate, not copy. This is why not all TVs are RCA and not all cars are Fords.

You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to somehow think that a Galaxy Tab is an iPad if you have used either device for more than 30 seconds.

Its funny that the same people who say that Samsung is 'copying' Apple are the same ones who point out the huge differences in usability and style of iOS over Android. Hypocrite much?

I'm not sure how far Samsung's suit will go. If Apple's component suppliers are paying royalties on the technology, then the judge might find an outright ban to be too harsh.

Either way, a tried and true technology patent is more serious/significant than a trademark regarding look/feel/aesthetic.

Its dirty pool and hypocrisy by Apple. They are trying to slow Android down as much as they can because in the end Android is going to eat their lunch due to positioning/framework/advantages. It isn't a coincidence that Apple is furiously trying to expand into the cloud as they litigate.

Android has been a cloud OS since day one. iOS has been a plug-me-into-your-dekstop-computer-for-sync OS since day one.

Remind me again who is copying who?

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Actually most true Apple fans know that they DON'T innovate for the most part, they refine (mostly) existing concepts into make high quality, easy to use hardware and software. Seriously, you think there weren't MP3 players, smartphones, iTunes-like software or network/cloud based backups before Apple came along?

13. kaizenmx macrumors regular

You hit the nail on the head.

There was Sony Walkman, then there was portable CD players, then there was MP3 players.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's definitely a weird situation. Samsung is launching factories that will solely produce components for Apple products, and Apple is relying on Samsung to build key iOS device components. Yet they are suing the hell out of each other in court.