Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of iOS 12.3, both AirPlay 2 and the new Apple TV app are available on compatible Smart TVs, Samsung announced today.

All 2019 Samsung Smart TVs and select 2018 TV models with a firmware update will be able to access Apple TV channels and iTunes movies and TV shows through the TV app and will support AirPlay 2. Samsung says that the TV app offers content in more than 100 countries, while AirPlay 2 is available in 176 countries.

samsungsmarttvairplaytvapp-800x506.jpg

On compatible Samsung TVs with the Smart TV platform, users are able to select the Apple TV app icon to access their Apple content. With the Channels feature in the Apple TV app, Samsung users can subscribe to services like HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, and watch content from those services directly in the Apple TV app.

Samsung users will also have access to more than 100,000 TV shows and movies to buy or rent from iTunes, including content that's available in 4K HDR.
"For the last decade, Samsung has been at the forefront of offering the broadest selection of content available to consumers on our Smart TV platform," said Won-Jin Lee, Executive Vice President, Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. "As the first TV manufacturer to integrate the Apple TV app on a Smart TV platform, Samsung continues to offer our customers incredible value and access to the Apple TV app experience on the largest screens available today."
The TV app available on Samsung Smart TVs will allow Apple customers who are already in the Apple ecosystem to access their previously purchased content without needing to have an Apple TV set-top box, which is a first.

All iTunes content and other content from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac can also be AirPlayed right to a Samsung TV for the first time, making it easier to get content from Apple devices to the TV. Samsung TVs compatible with AirPlay 2 and the TV app are listed below:
- Samsung FHD/HD 4, 5 Series (2018)
- Samsung QLED 4K Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9 Series (2018 & 2019)
- Samsung QLED 8K Q9 Series (2019)
- Samsung The Frame Series (2018 & 2019)
- Samsung The Serif Series (2019)
- Samsung UHD 6, 7, 8 Series (2018 & 2019)
Samsung says that the Apple TV app will "work seamlessly" with other Smart TV services, including Universal Guide, Bixby, and Search for a consistent experience across Samsung's platform.

Samsung is the only TV manufacturer that's getting the TV app at the current time, but other smart TVs are gaining AirPlay 2 support. It's likely we'll be hearing about AirPlay 2 compatibility from Vizio, LG, and Sony now that iOS 12.3 with AirPlay 2 support and the new Apple TV app has officially launched.

Other TV sets are also expected to integrate with HomeKit, allowing users to control them via Siri commands and through the Home app, but this is not a feature that is coming to Samsung TVs.

Article Link: AirPlay 2 and TV App Now Available on Samsung Smart TVs

Last edited:

Billyjimbob

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2018
Up north
I have a new 2019 Q90 and the app is showing up when I do a search, but states it’s not supported on my tv also I’m in the U.K

atmuwben

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
I just bought a 2019 Samsung TV. I was still trying to decide which service to rent 4K movies (Amazon, YouTube, Apple TV 4K box). Decision made!

Reactions: GreginNJ

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Technical question: Does this mean I won't need to buy a separate :apple:TV? Will I be able to just sign in with my account details onto the Samsung? I'm thinking of replacing my tv if this would be the case.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I got a little excited when I decided to check my LG TV for updates and one came through. Turns out it's totally unrelated. :(

I don't really care about having the AppleTV app or AirPlay directly on my TV. I have an AppleTV for that. But updating the TV to be recognized as a HomeKit device is important for someone with a connected home and is basically resource free. It can work on any connected TV, yet LG chose to keep it from its existing user base. They're pretty much telling LG users to go buy a Vizio or a Samsung next time they buy a TV.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
Update now was greyed out on the Samsung TV’s settings. Able to fix by holding down power button to hard reset, but not seeing any updates. But then 5 minutes later, the TV showed up in the AirPlay menu! We got the TV yesterday and I had to reset the TV entirely earlier today for unrelated reasons, if that helps.

On my first experience: looks like screen mirroring works, I have had some issues with AirPlay 1 apps. AirPlay uses an Apple TV like light mode UI for selecting subtitles and alternative audio. Mirroring photos from the Photos app does work too. Audio works with a similar interface to Apple TV. There is a scrub bar in Music & Stitcher, but not Overcast.

This is all with the most recent beta of iOS 12.3, need to update to GM soon.

Apple TV app installed just fine in the US. I was kinda hoping for an integration with 3rd party apps, but doubted it. If the content is not available on Apple TV channels or iTunes TV & Movies, it appears it won’t show in the app. No sports tab since sports currently all redirects to 3rd party apps. Looks like you can add more than one Apple ID.

My TV model is UN43RU7100FXZA.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Makes me insanely regret opting for Sony only TVs a few years ago. Stupid me figured it'd get more updates and all due to Android TV, doesn't even have stuff like Sky Ticket support. What a waste of cash...

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
I have a 2017 Samsung TV that I bought a year ago and this being excluded is yet another reason why I’ll never buy another Samsung TV. Too many compromises already.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
4K iTunes content on a Samsung TV, but not on a 5K Apple iMac! Any iMac since it went retina probably has more processing power than any TV, so that shouldn't be the issue. Is macOS not trusted enough?

Reactions: Ghost31

epelba01

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
I have a 2017 Samsung TV that I bought a year ago and this being excluded is yet another reason why I’ll never buy another Samsung TV. Too many compromises already.

I agree with you. I can understand limitations of AirPlay 2 support as it may be a hardware limitation. The Apple TV app should be available on most smart TVs. Hopefully they will reconsider.

Reactions: unfunfionn

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Makes me wonder if Apple have a fix update on tvOS for AppleTV itself. The current version is buggy expecially when try to scroll forward and reverse, sometimes it works sometimes it won't. Really frustrating! i guess that's what happens when are too busy to develop to other platform and neglected their own product.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Not seeing an update here. See the Apple TV app in the Samsung App Store on the tv but says can’t connect to network when everything else works. Anyone get an update to the firmware of their Samsung tv?

kcslc

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2018
So no Q65FN on the list? I imagine Costco sells a lot of these. But Samsung seems to ignore these models when releasing firmware updates. :/

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
4K iTunes content on a Samsung TV, but not on a 5K Apple iMac! Any iMac since it went retina probably has more processing power than any TV, so that shouldn't be the issue. Is macOS not trusted enough?

Pretty positive the Tv has hardware accelerate chips in them for decoding/handling signals, the iMac does not have this, it would consume considerably more power to do so.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Samsung TV Users: you need to update your TV software then go download the Apple TV app on the Samsung App Store.
[doublepost=1557774155][/doublepost]

Lol take a seat. LG doesn't ever support the 2018 model still being sold

Reactions: Steve121178

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Samsung TV Users: you need to update your TV software then go download the Apple TV app on the Samsung App Store.

My 2018 model is on the list of supported tvs yet there is no update for the tv available yet. Have you downloaded an update successfully?

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany

Duly noted. I'll add LG to my list. Pretty soon my only alternative will be books at this stage :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.