Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400rpm 2.5 HD for 13' MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeus86, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Zeus86 macrumors member

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

The aerial density of the platters should help offset the speed difference between the disks rotational speed (5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM). The reason for this is because the read/write heads will not have to travel as far across the disk, improving overall performance.

That being said, there will be a difference between 7200 RPM and 5400 RPM, but it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Hope that helps, and have a great day. :)

3. Zeus86 thread starter macrumors member

Does anybody have a 1TB HDD in their Macbook Pro's?

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The density will improve performance, but there will still be a noticeable change in performance. This change will be noticeable but negligible for a majority of people, but many people still care about performance, so your choice.

Also, tons of thread document 12.5mm 1TB 5400RPM hard drives in MBPs.

I think the sweet spot with current technology is 750GB 7200RPM, or a SSD.

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I recently switched from the Hitachi 500GB 7200rpm drive to the Samsung 1TB 5400rpm Spinpoint M8. Check this thread for benchmarks.

6. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

I've got it in mine.. and i gotta say I love this drive. Its super quiet and quite responsive. I had a 7200 RPM in my old MBP and it was pretty snappy. I can't really compare though since I'm on a new computer now though. Either way, the 1TB drive is awesome.

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

The Samsung Spinpoint M8 is significantly faster than the WD. It also uses less power.
    The WD is slow, especially in random performance the Hitachi is way faster.

Compared to the Samsung M8: Only in launching applications there will be a slight drop because the Hitachi has better random read performance.

8. r8pedbyaclown macrumors newbie

I actually have the spinpoint m8 in my macbook pro right now. its a late 2008/ early 09 15". Speed is about the same if not faster than my hitachi stock drive. The biggest complaint i have is battery performance, but my battery might be going bad too, I'm not entirely sure. But on bootcamp running windows 7 battery life is horrible I got about 20 minutes today. But all and all if you're going to be plugged in most the time then I'd highly suggest it. I purchased mine from new egg as well for about 80 bucks although i guess the price went up already? idk, but I hope this was somewhat useful. If anyone else is having any battery issues refer me to the correct thread. :apple:

9. Philflow macrumors 65816

It's very unlikely that has anything to do with the hard drive. Unless you have a defective unit, but still sounds unlikely.

10. r8pedbyaclown macrumors newbie

So is there a test or something i should do to check out my battery?