Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung will be the main supplier of Apple's upcoming A9 chip that will power the next-generation iPhone, reports South Korean newspaper Maeil Business (via Reuters). The newspaper notes that Samsung will supply around 75% of chips for the next iPhone, and that the processors will be produced at the company's factory in Austin, Texas.

A8.jpg
Apple's A8 chip​
Last month, a report from Korea's ET News said that Samsung had begun work on the processor in Texas. Previous reports noted that Samsung and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) would be producing the A9 chip, although Samsung was chosen to be the primary supplier in a deal that was said to be worth billions. BusinessKorea reported last month that Apple would be relying more heavily on Samsung for iPhone 6 and Apple Watch components including RAM, NAND flash storage, and batteries.

Apple's A9 chip is expected to power the iPhone 6s and presumably the next-generation iPad Air and iPad mini. Apple is also expected to launch a larger-screened iPad Pro at some point this year, although that device has been rumored to utilize Apple's A8X processor.

Article Link: Samsung to Produce Majority of Apple's A9 Chips for Next-Generation iPhone

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
III smartphone
Exynos is a series of ARM-based System-on-Chips (SoCs) developed and manufactured by Samsung Electronics and is a continuation of Samsung's earlier S3C, S5L and S5P line of SoCs.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Why don't Samsung and Apple get married already?

I can only dream of the day Samsung and apple make phone together. I know it'll never happened but I can still dream. That phone would rule them all.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Thoughts

Well, I'm not surprised about this. Samsung is still one of the few (if not the only one) that is able to produce such chips on such a large scale. Also, you have to consider that the Samsung that produces chips is not the same division as the Samsung that makes phones. And ultimately, it's all business. :D

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Fine with me as well since Samsung makes the best Arm CPU's as wel.

I see what you done did. You're right, Samsung does make the best. Too bad for them it's an Apple custom design.

----------

I can only dream of the day Samsung and apple make phone together. I know it'll never happened but I can still dream. That phone would rule them all.

I agree. Maybe Samsung could convince Apple it's okay to include more than 1GB of RAM on a phone.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Good news. Samsung produces quality in quantity for Apple. Apple is going to need a lot of chips as the ever increasing wave of iPhone updaters clamber for their next iteration.

My rock solid iPhone 5 shall be passed on at that point. *sniff sniff*

[Seriously, this thing has been bashed and trashed in a 2+ years of solid use + accidents. The home button died twice and then came back to life again!:eek: {after being dropped}]

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
So this is Apples version of Intels "Tick Tock"

If you have enough manpower and money to customize the chip for the manufacturer this is probably a really good idea!

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Hmm, déjà vu. Didn't we have this same piece of news a couple of weeks ago?

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Every year Samsung is the seamstress who makes the dress to the smoking hot girl that Apple takes to the prom.

holydude

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Funny how TSMC claimed that they have better yields.

Well they have seen this coming as what they said was not true. Samsung won once again and we are all happy.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
If today's fanboys knew how these companies work internally, most forums would be closed because of no activity. Apple is no longer a company looking for wise users who appreciate good design. It turned into a new Microsoft when they decided to pursue quantity. So, fanboys, get used to it: Microsoft=Google=Samsung=Apple. No difference between them anymore. Yes, this turns Linux into the almost only really independent player, and yes, Linux is a step backwards if you enjoyed Apple. But these are the times we're living.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
So, fanboys, get used to it: Microsoft=Google=Samsung=Apple. No difference between them anymore.

You are wrong, but I'm not going to list why. If you've blindly landed on that conclusion now, nothing I will say will make a difference.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Companies shouldn't do business with patent trolls.

That's Ok. Apple only does business with Samsung's semiconductor branch, not with their mobile branch (which was in danger of getting a 13 billion dollar fine in the EU for being a patent troll).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.