Samsung's Galaxy Ace blatant copy of iPhone (photos)

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Have you noticed how Samsung's Galaxy Ace is almost the same as iPhone?

At least by design. Here I've edited photos of both devices so only external design is visible, so no logos or front buttons.

And they still b*tch about Apple suing them. Shameless.

Last edited:

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
OP just joins and his very first post is a thread trying to start a Samsung copying Apple flame war? :rolleyes:

An obvious troll is obvious...

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Well, you removed the Samsung logo and the buttons from both devices.....

This is the Galaxy Ace:

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Exactly. As you can read in first post.

So, by your logic, I can copy exact same design of some product, slap a different button or two on it, add my logo and everything is fine? :rolleyes:

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

Exactly. As you can read in first post.

So, by your logic, I can copy exact same design of some product, slap a different button or two on it, add my logo and everything is fine? :rolleyes:
Apple wasn't the first to have that design though. A lot of people tend to think that if Android or any other thing copied Apple that Apple was the one to do it first. That's not true.

Before the iPhone was launched there was a phone called the LG Prada, remove the everything to where it's only the screen and it looks like the iPhone.

Same thing can be said about the iPad. There were things that had the same look as the iPad. Even a Samsung clock. This means iPad wasn't an original design.

Last edited:

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Sorry guys, but you cannot mistake iPhone for a LG Prada due to its considerably larger dimensions.

Would it be OK if Apple did this?

It's HTC EVO 4G

Last edited:

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Apple wasn't the first to have that design though. A lot of people tend to think that if Android or any other thing copied Apple that Apple was the one to do it first. That's not true.

Before the iPhone was launched there was a phone called the LG Prada, remove the everything to where it's only the screen and it looks like the iPhone.

Same thing can be said about the iPad. There were things that had the same look as the iPad. Even a Samsung clock. This means iPad wasn't an original design.
Here's LG Prada next to first iPhone. Dimensions are right (+- few pixels)

You can clearly see the difference. Can't you?

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
ok so now what? am I supposed to be upset about this?

take the buttons away from many smartphones and you're going to end up with something that looks like something else. big deal.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
My bad. No buttons now.

But why would I remove that chrome?
Because the LG Prada has the chrome look around the phone as well, you just can't see it from that picture.

I'd say they look the same except the chrome is a bit thicker on the iPhone, but the iPhone isn't the first phone to use the "chrome" outline.

FYDave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
Have you noticed how Samsung's Galaxy Ace is almost the same as iPhone?

At least by design. Here I've edited photos of both devices so only external design is visible, so no logos or front buttons.

And they still b*tch about Apple suing them. Shameless.

You... are aware that the majority of touch screen smartphones on the market are candybar designs and as such follow the tried and true formula of being rectangular in shape with a black frontside, right?

And also, how can you make the determination that it's effectively design plagiarism of an Apple product if you had to modify both devices pictured by removing the logo AND front facing buttons to achieve the comparison?

Placement and the styling of buttons is absolutely part of the design of a device. It's not as if you can decide that since you don't like the button placement on a phone that you're going to buy that particular device while changing the button placement and styling or removing them altogether.

This is obviously subjective but I feel that it's very unlikely that anyone would mistake a Samsung Ace for an iPhone if the two pictures were placed side by side with no modifications.

Last edited:

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
You... are aware that the majority of touch screen smartphones on the market are candybar designs and as such follow the tried and true formula of being rectangular in shape with a black frontside, right?
True, but make yourself at least little bit original, like SE with Xperia Arc or Nokia with its new line of phones.

Wonder how this would go on court?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
ok so now what? am I supposed to be upset about this?

take the buttons away from many smartphones and you're going to end up with something that looks like something else. big deal.
lol - yes. When you take away stuff that makes things look different they begin to look the same.

Angryipadguy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Lol what phone don't look like other phones? iPhone looks like phones that come out before it. There's only so many ways you can design a rectangle with a screen! Take the buttons and logos away from most phones and they look the same. But saying that even though he did that with the top pictures I can still tell that it's not a iPhone and I have never seen the samsung in person.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
So this kid edits images then cries wolf? Why isn't this Randomoneh character just banned and dealt with? We don't really need such stupid troll threads here.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Thread title: Samsung's Galaxy Ace blatant copy of iPhone (photos)

Reality: My modified and specially selected Samsung's Galaxy Ace pictures are a blatant copy of iPhone (photoshops)

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
True, but make yourself at least little bit original, like SE with Xperia Arc or Nokia with its new line of phones.

Wonder how this would go on court?

I really doubt Microsoft will make a Zune device that looks like that knowing that Zune is already dead and is only available on Windows Phones now. They won't make anymore Zune players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.