San Antonio--Northstar Mall iPhone 6 Line Info

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by jasonapr78, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jasonapr78 macrumors member

So I got here at 2:20pm and am still first in line. After an hour in line, a guy name Ozzie (head of security) and one of his guys stopped and talked to me for about 15 min. He said there will be no lines allowed to form until 4am outside the mall entrance closest to the Apple store. I explained to him that he doesn't want a 300 person group rushing the door at 4 am to get in line. I also talked to another nice security guy named Adam and they are assessing their options so hopefully they change the 'no line rule' for everyone's sake. Anyone else planning to join
    me?

2. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

After meeting again with Mall Security Head and Apple Store Lead, Mall Security will not change their stance. No line or loitering will be allowed until 4am no exceptions. I am running the sign-in list as first in line. List is currently 10 deep.

3. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

4. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

If you show up and walk towards the mall doors some of the guys are rotating 'watch' and will direct you to my vehicle to put you on the list. We are doing this to keep it orderly because security thinks having a couple hundred people lining up on their own without order will go well :)

5. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Well, I would, but those do not seem like safe instructions for a lady to follow! ;)

6. C30T5 macrumors newbie

I was just there! Asked the guy standing by the store entrance with the pony tail. Didn't mention a sign in list :( going to change real quick... But not sure if I should return?

7. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

Just ask they will point you in my direction. It's the only way we can keep order. La Cantera is allowing them to line-up in parking lot so I wish they would let us do the same.

8. C30T5 macrumors newbie

9. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

I am parked right outside that entrance by Apple Store. Might have to move to Bust Stop at 9pm when mall closes because Mall GM decided we can no longer stay in our cars in garage all night like was previously allowed so they keep changing their minds to make it more and more difficult and dangerous for everyone.

----------

10. c2one macrumors member

I've done a few 'lines' at North Star for iPhone and iPad releases and the security there really tries to flex their muscle with this 'no lines' policy.

First couple of years we were actually allowed to line up inside the mall! But then when the 3GS or maybe the 4, we queued out in the parking lot for really humid night/morning. Not good.

Another year, apple had done the pre-order and even said there was going to be 2 different lines, 1 for pre-order and 1 for not but no one told this to security and they were only letting in 5 people at a time, into the mall, not the store. Then once you made it in, you finally got to talk to an apple person to put you in the right line. Just didn't seem fair for people who pre-ordered. Finally an apple rep came outside to talk to security, almost 9am at this point and they finally let everyone inside and were able to line up correctly.

11. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

32 deep now. Moved to bus stop because security changed their minds again and made us move before 9 since the list was "encouraging loitering" despite 3-4 people telling me tgeir names then walking away.

12. c2one macrumors member

I hope you can keep your list together, it's going to catch some people off guard.

"Hey buddy, wanna get in the line? Go talk to my friend in the car over there"

I wouldn't do that, I would just hang out until security told me something. Then I would just go to my car and wait. Then at 4am, go stand in line. And then I will be attacked by the people on the list and just make for a bad experience.

I'm not saying I'm going to do this, I see there is a list already but saying just be prepared. Luckily you have already started to build a rapport with security.

Good luck to all.

13. C30T5 macrumors newbie

So if you get on the list... Can you leave and take a break or grab a bite to eat? Or do you have to stay in line the whole time?

14. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

You need to answer to the people. Nobody will fault you for grabbing food and coming back but the intent is not to get on the list and take off until 4am. I volunteered to do this to try and get some semblance of order. Not fair to those who wait like me to have someone run to the front at 4am. They would be upsetting me and everyone they cut so I don't see that happening. Security has a guy watching us entire time no kidding.

15. c2one macrumors member

I think that's a good thing security is there, they are acknowledging that there is a line so no one can sneak up from somewhere else.

I'm curious if anyone is there that pre-ordered a phone for store pick up... Do you know?

16. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

17. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

Great job by everyone staying patient and being civil! Our list/line held and we are in front of the mall doors with security out here with us!

18. c2one macrumors member

Have any apple employees come out to check out the line?

19. jasonapr78 thread starter macrumors member

Yes we are already in the store outside Apple now. Store Manager already explained their new electronic system that serves as a "ticket" guaranteeing you will get a phone.

20. c2one macrumors member

That's cool, congrats are being first. And thanks for keeping the thread updated!

Have they started a seperate pre order line?

21. c2one macrumors member

Just got to NorthStar. Line is Huuuuuhggggeeeee. But at least inside.

Pre order line is seperate, about 6 people.

22. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

Anyone lining up for the 6s? I started a new thread but haven't gotten any responses...

23. Jgarcia750 macrumors newbie

I'm lined up, but going in a different direction from the Apple Store. I'm at a sprint store waiting in the parking lot.