SAN BERNARDINO: 'Instead of bombs throw books' at terrorists, Nobel Peace Prize winner says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No, it wasn't Barack Obama who said that:

Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi told a crowd at Cal State San Bernardino on Thursday night that fighting terrorists with military force is a lost cause. Education and the loud voices of what she called "modern Muslims" is the answer, she said.
    Same newspaper, same day:

[Syed Rizwan] Farook graduated from Cal State San Bernardino in 2010 with a degree in environmental health. He attended one semester in Cal State Fullerton’s graduate program for environmental engineering in 2014, according to a spokeswoman.​

So according to Ebadi, the terrorist who killed 14 people in cold blood, wouldn't have become a murdering psychopath if only he'd had education! The Nobel Prize sure ain't what it's cracked up to be.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

rebuke.gif

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes thats the thing. education helps people from making poor choices from stepping off the deep end. got a better solution? killing terrorists does not stop them. it just makes them more determined. the only way to battle extremism is education. nothing else works it just makes it worse. the only way to stop isis is to educate and treat their target audience well, alienate them and they will jump over the line easily.
    religious wars never work.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Are you dreaming about zombies? I'm sure a DEAD terrorist is no longer a threat and the only determination he might have is trying to figure out will give him his 72 goats

5. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Priceless.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

has it worked so far???? let me check the news.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Please show me a determined DEAD terrorist

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I will show you a determined live one. every one you kill you create more. you seem to have missed history show me how fighting against religion has worked well. when people are willing to die for their beliefs you are not going to change the faith by killing them it just martyrs them. if you keep people from converting you stand a much better chance,

9. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

It was working just fine until Obama got into power. Obama claimed that Iraq was in great shape and that ISIS was the JV.

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

really worked well has it? sure it is oboma's fault.

11. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Your argument is that we can't win against people so dedicated that they're willing to kill themselves to get at us.

I'm sure the Japanese military thought the same thing when they unleashed thousands of kamikaze pilots against us. But we won the war in the Pacific anyway.

Kill the extremists and/or play one side off against another, and everything settles down. That's how the British Empire held sway for hundreds of years with a ridiculously small army.

12. dec. Suspended

dec.

Oh right, 9/11/2009.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

no we can't just by killing them. Japan was not a fight of extreme religion. you seemed to miss history religious wars don't end well.

14. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Various groups in the Middle East have been killing each other for thousands of years. Unfortunately, some of our unwarranted "adventures" there have drawn us into their never ending battles.

In my own jaded and pessimistic opinion, it will never end. Never. Ever.

15. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You're mistaken, the Benghazi terrorist attacks that Hillary lied about occurred on 9/11/2012.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

right unless you educate them and get them away from that culture. We see how extreme religion causes christians to go off the deep end here. only education can stop it force just makes them more determined. but there is no guarantee anything will work. but we know how once has worked throughout history.

17. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Israel has managed just fine, even though she is outnumbered by almost 50 times her population in Muslim enemies.

18. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

But there are still periodic terrorist attacks in Israel, and I don't believe they will ever see an end to those wishing to destroy them.

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

You're funny. Anyway, good to know that there are people out there who evaluate 9/11 as "working fine". :)

[without "double post", although I've nailed it, I won't get THAT excited that I'll mash my "enter" button hysterically to submit my genius reply]

20. DUCKofD3ATH, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015

DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Maybe we should send them to our Ivy League universities so they can learn how to detect micro-aggressions and cringe in safe spaces!

What we've learned this year is that Liberal-dominated colleges are the worst places to send people to prepare them for useful roles in society. I wouldn't even wish that fate on Daesh.

A lot fewer since they built the fence around the West Bank. Given the huge disparity in numbers, Israel is managing very well.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Had Japan been willing to wage a guerrilla war in their home islands rather than bother with holding territory we couldn't have won. If we go after ISIS they won't be signing surrender documents when we send our tanks into Raqqa because they don't care about holding territory. They care about an idea and an idea cannot be defeated by military force, each person we kill will become a martyr and inspire more to rise up. The only way to defeat extremism is through education and providing opportunities for people so they don't feel that they only have the choice between starving to death or fighting.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If someone insists on not (or is incapable of) understanding the point Ms. Ebadi was making, then thats their loss.

I just finished watching the Showtime documentary: The Spymasters - CIA in the Crosshairs; which features extensive interviews with all of the CIA Directors of the past fifteen years or so. There is extensive debate and disagreement among them on such topics as the use and effectiveness of enhanced interrogation practices; the use of drone strikes; and the failings and successes of America's intelligence agencies in the lead to both 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq.

But one thing they are unanimous about: We cannot kill our way out of terrorism. Military and intelligence operations may be effective in temporarily removing individuals who pose an imminent threat. But in the long run; all they do is buy our leaders - and us - space and time before the next threat arises.

The only way that we are going to permanently destroy radical Islamic terrorism is by enabling the people of the regions beset by those forces to build thriving dynamic and effective societies. There are various tools we might use to make that happen. But sure education has to count as one of the most effective weapons any society has at their disposal.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

lol only the right wing would openly mock universities and people trying to get an education

24. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Call me a pessimistic crotchety old man, but in my opinion...

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    His friend will be pretty damn determined. Then his friend. Maybe his brother. Then their cousin, and so on, and so on, and so on.

The point is, you can stop an enemy, but you can't stop a people. If the entire region takes arms against us while we're occupying their countries, we'll lose. All the bullets in the world can't change that, and we, the richest single country in the world, don't have the cash to sustain the war required to do so. If we continue to bomb indiscriminately, killing their brothers, sisters, and everyone else, we'll give them reason to fight.

If we want to win the war in the ME, we can't just go in guns blazing. We have to aim for stability at some point, education in the future. It's the best way to diffuse extremism.