San Diego vs. New Orleans Voluteerism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Oct 25, 2007.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/evac.qualcomm.scene/index.html
    Would some like to suggest reasons as to why the volunteer rescue situation is so different in San Diego as opposed to New Orleans?

They are both similar in scale as far as being evacuated.

And I dont want to hear any crap about wealth vs. poor, people lost EVERYTHING in both situations...

I am truly perplexed.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You don't sound perplexed at all. Someone who's perplexed wouldn't rule out out of hand a possibly explanation or factor.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It comes down to attitude. San Diegans pitched in and knew they had to depend on each other. Nagin and company expected a deus ex machina solution from the Feds from the git go.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Has it occurred to you that San Diegans might only know this after watching the Federal response to New Orleans?

5. shecky Guest

shecky

really.

so you do not think there is a difference between a population of wealthy, mostly white, successful people in san diego and a more racially mixed, poorer population in new orleans getting aid in a country under a republican administration?

really?

on top of which san diego has the bonus of knowing what did happen in NO already.

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Just tossing this out, but didn't the Feds prohibit a lot of people from going into New Orleans? Including volunteers? I keep thinking all the flooding may have played a part as well.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What you want to do is point a finger without examining the differences between SD and NO.

For the most part, the roads in SD are open. While the fires have closed a few, it's not nearly the same scale as in NO where people simply had no access to the city. Qualcomm stadium is open and accessible unlike the stadium in NO.

Hospitals are functioning, drug stores are open, gas stations are open, etc, etc, etc.

To compare the two is the ultimate in naivety.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Speaking as a former 25 year resident of San Diego - No.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Whereas a disaster had never taken place prior to Katrina for New Orleans to learn from...

Are you saying Nagin and his city council was incompetent because they are black or because they are democrats? It certainly isn't because he or the other public officials down there are poor. Or is it harder to evacuate sleeping people when they have more money? Just trying to figure out your line of reasoning.:rolleyes:

10. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

If you read the op it refers to "Volunteerism" and not the response by the government.

I am just looking for insight about the attitude of the people who responded on a volunteer basis.
    violence in NO and a carnival in SD. :confused:

Im gonna agree with swarm about your comment^^^

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The OP is setting themselves up for a self-fulfilling prophecy. As you, and others, have pointed out, the two events are not the same.

When I was watching NO, I was shocked, and appalled by the lack of coordination, and total confusion that 'ruled the day'. I had seen many TV disaster coverage's, and nothing even came close to NO. I remember thinking, who in the h*ll is in charge here? As it turns out, it was the WH political hacks and our newly polished private army, known as 'blackwater'.

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Actually it's a class thing. And I know that you wouldn't want to bring it up... but when rich businesses are gone the govt is more rapid to save those because of a better ROI.

New Orleans didn't have much of an economic utility to the feds so they deemed it as being unworthy to bother in the first place.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And I'm sure you have proof that the government at both state and federal levels were selectively putting out fires at businesses in San Diego county over the past couple days? Are you saying the N.O. as a tourist destination that even ranks a professional football team had little or no economic value at either the state or federal level?

Man, you need to share whatever you're smokin'.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think this is a big part of it. The "chaos factor" between the SoCal fires and hurricane Katrina are worlds apart. A huge quake hitting SD that topples buildings, buckles roads, cripples water and power supplies, etc., would be a more apples to apples comparison.

Lethal

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It really does boil down to money. Chances are more of this people had insurances and were not living pay check to pay check and just barely getting by. They more than likely had money in savings for reuilding. There credit ratings would be a lot better (again easier to get money)
    Lets add to the fact more of the are college educated which means they will a much easier time getting back on their feet (plus larger incomes to boot and unlike NO they should at least get another month worth of pay checks the advantages of being salary)

NO was a broke city. Almost all their money came from tourism. The hurricane destroyed that so there goes the economy. People relocated and did not move back because they had found new jobs. So for NO it hard to rebuild when most of you original population where poor and lack a college education.
    Also SD will have companies wanting to rebuild so they will pay money to move their people back there. It boils down to money.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What does losing everything have to do with wealth? Let alone all of the other factors already mentioned? I'm amazed that there are still people blaming everything on local Dem politicians in that case and nothing on the federal response, which we already know actually made things far worse. No one is going to say the Dems did a great job, they didn't, but to ignore the part the feds played in the chaos of NOLA is just naive. As is the very different situation of the 2. Remember it was the breech of the levees, not the storm itself, that really did the most damage. And FEMA's continued incompetence only making things worse.

I've been fairly happy with our leadership here, much more so than that of all branches in NOLA. But we also can't ignore that maybe we've learned from some of the mistakes made then. Yes, there were disasters prior to NOLA, but most of them weren't made worse by the gov as that was. We've gone out of our way to be the anti-NOLA, both with the people ourselves and with the fact that we've actually asked the federal not to make things worse, the way they did then.

Maybe you've missed our Lt. Gov asking Bush NOT to come out here, and to just send what we need (some of this is happening on federal land), unlike in NOLA, where he's made promises and done nothing after lots of photo ops that only make it harder for those trying to do their jobs to do them.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly. And even in sheer numbers of evacuated it wasn't even close.