San Fran Middle School Cancels Student Elections Because Too Many White People Elected

cfedu

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/19/san-fran-middle-school-cancels-student-elections-because-too-many-white-people-elected/

A student government election at a San Francisco middle school had its results ignored after a principal decided the candidates elected were too white.

Elections were held at Everett Middle School Oct. 10, but on Oct. 14 principal Lena Van Haren sent an email to parents saying the results were being ignored, without being made public, because those elected did not reflect how diverse the school is. While Everett is more than 80 percent non-white, Van Haren said the election results “weren’t representative” of that.

“That is concerning to me because as principal I want to make sure the voices are all heard, from all backgrounds,” Van Haren told local KTVU News.

But at least one of the middle schoolers who ran is calling Van Haren out for her rhetoric.

“The organizers are saying things like, ‘we want everyone’s voice to be heard,’ but in truth, the voters’ voices are not being heard,” seventh grader Sebastian Kaplan told KRON, another local news station. “The whole school voted for those people, so it is not like people rigged the game, but in a way, now it is kinda being rigged.”

Van Haren went on to say that she is considering a variety of fixes to the problem, including appointing several new positions in order to ensure more minorities are represented without kicking out those who actually won the election.

“We’re not nullifying the election, we’re not canceling the election, we’re not saying this didn’t count,” she continued.

According to KTVU, Van Haren wants this to be a “learning experience” for those involved. But at a glance, it’s not clear what the lesson is, beyond telling kids

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
“The organizers are saying things like, ‘we want everyone’s voice to be heard,’ but in truth, the voters’ voices are not being heard,” seventh grader Sebastian Kaplan told KRON, another local news station. “The whole school voted for those people, so it is not like people rigged the game, but in a way, now it is kinda being rigged.”
smart kid.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I checked out the story from the San Francisco's TV station KTVU (http://www.ktvu.com/news/33724074-story), and it appears to be a case (IMO) of a misguided school principal. The racial make-up of the student body is 80% minority, and it appears that the election was won by white students.

To that I'd have to say, "tough noogies."

You either need to rig the election beforehand, or you accept the results according to the rules by which it was run. After the fact, it's too late to change the rule, just because you didn't like the outcome.

Very smart, courageous too. Yet now I fear for his safety.
Yeah. SF liberals are notorious for resorting to violent retribution when their PC plans are thwarted. :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If the school is 80% minorities, then it's not like the white students won by all voting for the white student, 20% of the vote doesn't let that happen. Either it was only white students who bothered to run, in which case the other students should let this be a lesson of what happens if you choose not to exercise your rights, or these were the students that they actually wanted to vote for in which case the results should stand.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
I checked out the story from the San Francisco's TV station KTVU (http://www.ktvu.com/news/33724074-story), and it appears to be a case (IMO) of a misguided school principal. The racial make-up of the student body is 80% minority, and it appears that the election was won by white students.
4 of the 10 elected positions when to white (18% of students),asian (5% of students) or mixed race students.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-principal-middle-school-election-winners-6578286.php

Renzatic

Suspended
Reactions: Grey Beard

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
"not as smart or as good looking as punch master, but I charge 1/4 of what he does & I take coupons"

...I ALWAYS KNEW YOU WERE A GOONY HOOKER! :mad:

Also, Denzel Washington wouldn't make a good Bond. He's not British enough.
just sent you some coupons :p
Denzel Washington is a decent actor, when it comes to movies I really don't care if they swap genders/races as long as they do a good job at at. I could have been Yoda is he had a mexican accent or one of the hobbits as well, they could have saved so much money on make up by hiring me, but nooooooo, my accent was not good enough

Renzatic

Suspended
just sent you some coupons :p
Better be a BOGO... :mad:

Denzel Washington is a decent actor, when it comes to movies I really don't care if they swap genders/races as long as they do a good job at at. I could have been Yoda is he had a mexican accent or one of the hobbits as well, they could have saved so much money on make up by hiring me, but nooooooo, my accent was not good enough
He is a good actor, but some things are an institution. Getting anyone else but a Brit to play James Bond would be like getting an American actor to play Doctor Who. It just isn't right.

Reactions: Grey Beard