San Francisco Catholic Church Installs Watering System To Ward Off Homeless

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

Just like when hoses were turned on Joseph and Mary when they needed a place to rest...

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, since they're removing it I guess it's a non-story now. However, many municipalities are installing barriers in areas where homeless congregate. This example is in China:

3. dec. Suspended

dec.

It's still not a bad thing to know what some people really would like to do :) .

Sbigot. lol.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ha ha thread about the church, but it probably makes more sense given the severity of San Francisco's homeless situation. Because where you have homeless congregating, you've got burgeoning public health concerns.

Some fair and balanced news on the subject: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6400238

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Homeless spikes have been a bane of content in london recently, as well as council attacks on the homeless.

I'm not surprised its happening elsewhere.

6. citizenzen, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

The city ordered them church to remove it. The church didn't do it out of the goodness of their own hearts. So it hardly qualifies as a non-story.

It raises some interesting points, such as how an institution (supposedly) dedicated to helping the poor could be so cruel to them.

I've also taken part in PRSI discussions where it was suggested that churches, charities and nonprofits should take care of the poor and not the government. Well, here you have one of the biggest churches around and they can't even offer an empty doorway to find shelter.

So this would appear to me to be anything but a non-story, and is a subject ripe with issues to discuss.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I know of tale that involves at least one gentle hobo who could.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think you're a bit quick to dismiss a rather cruel act by an ostensibly compassionate and charitable organization.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the church doesn't want homeless people in its doorway maybe they should invite them in so they have a place to stay.

11. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. Makes perfect "sense." Because shooing the homeless elsewhere fully solves the problem. :rolleyes:

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Someone has misread the Bible.:mad: Again.:mad::mad: "Foxes have dens, birds have nest, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." (Luke 9:58 AND Matthew 8:20)

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

When I was little some of the bigger catholic churches had doors open 24/7 so people didn't have to sleep on the street.

And many homeless like to sleep on church grounds for a sense of security and spiritual assurance. Being hosed down doesn't sound like a christ like action.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

OK, what do you want me to do about it?

----------

It's not being hosed down; it's an automatic baptism. :D

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm just giving you my thoughts in a spirit of friendly discussion.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

OK, no snark intended. My point was that the Church voluntarily removed with no issues so the story is complete. No doubt MSNBC and Fox will yak about it, but so what's new?

17. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

No, they removed them under compulsion of government order.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yes, that's true. Compelled by the all-powerful San Francisco Department of Building Inspection. Damn that Big Gub'mint.

19. mobilehaathi, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Blech, I ignore Fox and MSNBC.

As far as I'm not the biggest fan of the Catholic Church, I have to admit I was still a bit shocked by their actions in this case. Church officials have reportedly said that they installed the sprinklers specifically for this purpose and kept them operational for a long time. Since the Church has been so vociferous about their newfound compassion for the poor, it seems to me that this deserves some discussion.

Although as far as PRSI on MR is concerned...I'd just as well watch Fox or MSNBC...

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

What, you expected a solution to an ages old problem?

It solved the church's immediate problem for a while there. And the homeless got a free shower out of it. And the area got cleared of urine and feces in the meantime.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This or this or this is how Christians should deal with homelessness.

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Pics or it didn't happen.

23. numlock macrumors 68000

brilliant idea. reminds me of the story a cop told me the other day about the city removing crossings from a particular section of the road because there were too many accidents there. obviously people wont need to cross the road anymore.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Just came back from a trip along the borderlands where all religious groups work to feed and clothe homeless migrants after they're deported. Most of these operations are operating on a shoestring, so to compare the Catholicism of San Francisco's Diocese with the charity of a few dusty border towns is striking.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The Catholic Church, AFAICT, does not itself specifically dedicate some of its resources to helping the poor, it just has satellite groups run by Catholics doing that. And anyway, what is the point of being poor if you are not also suffering. They are making poverty suck, so that the poor will get it together and find their own bootstraps.

Not really surprising. Stuff and wealth tends to take people's minds off of piddly little things like helping others. The people who have it hard are going to be the ones helping out people who have it hard.