Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Woohoo! My boyfriend and I have just booked a week in San Francisco for the new year, leaving 29th Dec returning 4th Jan. I'll miss out on MWSF by a few days though!

Andy.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Anyone got any must-sees for San Fran, or any advice for when I go? What will the weather be like that time of year?

Hope I bump into Steve and Phil - could go clubbing together.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you are spending that kind of money already, why not stay over for MWSF. I'm jealous that you can afford a visit to SF. Although my first choice for that kind of money would be a G5. My understanding is that the weather is great.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
nesbitt_a said:
Woohoo! My boyfriend and I have just booked a week in San Francisco for the new year, leaving 29th Dec returning 4th Jan. I'll miss out on MWSF by a few days though!

Andy.

I never knew girls were called Andy! HF (have fun) and hope you have great time. Keep us informed! :D.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
nesbitt_a said:
Anyone got any must-sees for San Fran, or any advice for when I go? What will the weather be like that time of year?

Hope I bump into Steve and Phil - could go clubbing together.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"-- Mark Twain

manosira

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
SOMA - S.F. - Cali
Maybe Andy is a boy, after all it is SF. But I'm excited I just book tickets for MacWorld for the later part of that week. It's been like ten years since I've been there. Can anyone suggest the Top cheap MUST DO or SEE places in SF?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
manosira said:
Maybe Andy is a boy, after all it is SF. But I'm excited I just book tickets for MacWorld for the later part of that week. It's been like ten years since I've been there. Can anyone suggest the Top cheap MUST DO or SEE places in SF?

Why since you're in the SF area...go to Apple Computer Headquarters in Cupertino of course! :D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
you can go visit Alcatrez, visit the techtv studio, o yea that was sold. Take a trolly, eat some ricearoni after all its the SF treat!!! :cool:

WCat

macrumors member
Hmmm...here's my short list:

Take the trolley cars (there are 2 lines) end to end. One goes through China Town (great places to eat--I like the Empress), the other goes to Fishermen's Wharf. Interesting things to see at each end of both lines.
Walk up to Pier 39 from the Wharf (5-10 minutes). Very touristy outdoor shopping, but great fresh Dungeness (sp?) crab right now!! Cooked while you wait. Sample crab cocktails and other fun, cheap seafood dishes at both the Wharf and Pier 39. Avoid the stores offering cheap pearls you can dig out of your own oyster--they'll talk you into a $500 setting.

Stop and gawk at all of the sea lions barking at each other on the north side of Pier 39 (behind all of the stores). Better than any zoo I've seen.

Take the "F" streetcars in a loop from Market Street around past the Wharf (again!?). They are all 1930's to 1950's resurrected streetcars from all over the world. Again, very touristy, but cheap and interesting. Also provides an easy way to get up and down Market Street and the Embarcadero (which is where all of the piers and the Wharf live).

Take the BART (subway system) for quick and easy movement in and around the city, especially at rush hour, since the streets jam up. It doesn't go everywhere, but it covers quite a bit of territory, especially connections outside the city.

Go up to Coit Tower. Great view of the city, cheap access, interesting historical landmark, but you need a car to get there--maybe a taxi. I've walked it from the Embarcadero--about 20 minutes uphill, though.

Walk through China Town. Lots of interesting things and people to see. Mostly stores and restaurants. Great food, as I said before.

Drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, then walk it as well. Very good view spots on the north side in Sausalito. While you're there, take some time to go into Sausalito, down by the water. Very artistic and laid back area.

Buy tickets in advance for the boat trip and tour of Alcatraz island and prison. Cool (literally--bring a warm coat).

Go down to Cupertino (45 minute drive) and have your picture taken in front of 1 Infinite Loop, then go see the Apple campus store--not big, but eventually everybody goes in there. Even Steve. Has Apple logo clothing and lunch boxes not available everywhere else.

There's lots more to see/do, but I gotta go. Don't forget that it will almost certainly be rainy and cool most of the time. However, I've also sat outside an "In n' Out Burger" (sp?) there on Christmas eve in my shirtsleves enjoying the sun, but your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

WCat

WCat

macrumors member
Forgot to tell you that you won't find the store at Apple HQ open on weekends. Hours are 8 to 5:30 PM weekdays. Don't bother going there (unless it's just for a picture in front) before Monday, Jan. 3rd, since most employees will be home with their families the previous week and the store might also be closed.

Better yet--go to the BIG new Apple store in San Francisco. The "F" trolley goes right past it on Market Street!

Happy to help with any questions you might have, since I live in the area...

WCat

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2003
Andy is a guy

Andy is a guy! It is San Francisco after all. I'm extremely busy at the minute, but will be in touch with you all soon!

Cheers, A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.