San Francisco South Bay Area - AT&T vs Verizon vs Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Oct 7, 2011.

1. saintforlife, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Which of these three has the best service in the San Francisco South Bay Area (Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, San Jose) today in terms of voice and data service currently?

When carriers roll out the 4G networks in 2012, which will be the best carrier to be on next year and beyond?

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You said you have an iPhone 4 with AT&T , how's the coverage? My cousin lives in San Fran and she said she doesn't have a problem with iPhone on AT&T.

If AT&T works out good for you then that should be your answer.

3. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Edited OP for clarity and conciseness. Will appreciate any input.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

According to my cousin in San Fran she says she has no issues with iPhone on AT&T.

Are you concerned about getting an LTE iPhone next launch?

5. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am happy with AT&T for the most part. But there are some terrible blind spots with AT&T at my office. Also the fact that AT&T doesn't have any service in any of the National Parks in California is another bummer as my wife and I go on frequent trips.

But having said that, having simultaneous voice and data is important for me, hence my reluctance to switch to Verizon/Sprint. Also AT&T has the fastest 3G data speeds I think which is good. Not sure how the 4G LTE network will affect things when it comes out. But I will definitely be upgrading when the 4G iPhone comes out. I just want to make sure I make the right choice which gives me the best voice and data service.

6. jhuang macrumors member

I'm from San Jose and I currently live in SF. I'm on AT&T.

SF: I lived in Inner Richmond last year and reception was terrible. I'm in SOMA now though and no problems so far -- everything is actually very snappy down here.

SJ: Reception is terrible. Especially recently. Not sure if it's my parents' house (in ESSJ) but generally I find that I constantly get dropped calls, especially on 3G. When I am in SJ I have to stick to EDGE. My boyfriend has similar problems, so it's not just me. Too bad, too, because before iPhone (or maybe right when I got my 3G) AT&T service was excellent and I never had any problems, like my friends did with Verizon.

Hope that helps! I'm really hoping that the bump in data speeds on AT&T will help matters. This is only my personal experience, though. I could just have bad luck :D

7. wateron macrumors regular

Wish someone would answer these questions

8. HiRez, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't know who you people are [who love AT&T in the BA] because I have to know two dozen iPhone owners in the SF Bay Area (including me), and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM loathes AT&T. I can't go to a dinner or party or work without people ranting about AT&T's dropped calls, and even though it gets old, I get it because I lived through it myself. I've driven to every corner of the Bay and AT&T is consistently horrendous. Sure, you can find pockets here and there that work OK. But don't go anywhere, don't even move your arm, turn around, or change the grip on your phone because you're risking a dropped call.

Verizon is WAY better in SF as far as coverage and voice quality and reliability, there is no contest. Now I will say that was before the iPhone 4S, does that make AT&T suddenly awesome? I don't know because I took the opportunity to bail to Verizon, but I doubt it.

9. wateron macrumors regular

"I don't know who you people are"

People who are trying to get answers to information we don't have and feel
    this forum is a good way to get those answers

10. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I live in the east bay and travel around the bay area. I been with AT&T well before the iPhone and their network has gone down hill for the most part. Rf issues have become a norm along with dropped calls. The network comes to a halt where many people are gathered. I switched to Verizon with the 4s and have been happy so far. Coverage is better and haven't seen much of a slowdown with data. Verizon has a faster ping than att so pages render quickly.

I also have a 4g lte provided by work. Verizon has a good lte footprint here and offers the fastest speeds out of any carrier. AT&T doesn't have lte here so verizon will likely have leg up on them come lte iPhone time.

11. leftpinky macrumors newbie

I've been in Palo Alto and Richmond and had great service on Sprint for the past 5 years (NY and Chicago before that). No dropped calls and pretty fast data. We'll see how it goes with all the new iPhones, but I've been very happy over the past 13 years with Sprint. No dropped calls (there is one dead spot on the freeway near parents place in Sacramento), but other than that, network is good and relatively fast 1 Mbps average and upto 1.5. Plus you can't beat the price.

12. DerekTS macrumors regular

Those speeds are slow as hell compared to ATT customers. I am in SF on ATT and I almost constantly get 8-10 mbps download and 5-7mbps upload.

Check out all the threads of angry Sprint customers complaining how slow their speed is.