San Francisco sues Trump admin. over sanctuary cities order

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jdillings, Jan 31, 2017.

1. jdillings macrumors 68000

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

3. zin Suspended

I never knew enforcing the law could be this controversial.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Technically one of the sole purposes of the federal government is to protect and defend this nation. If San Fransisco wants to protect illegal immigrants who break the law and that immigrant goes out and kills someone in another city, it becomes a federal problem. I know they've been wrapped up in deciding whether a 48yr old man gets to pee next to a 6yr old girl, but immigration law is what the federal government should be doing.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Regardless of what people think, The majority of undocumented immigrants that are already here are not going nowhere, at least not anytime soon(willing or forcefully). The OP link made some great points on why Trump's actions will just deteriorate neighborhoods.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

But I thought this was something everyone wanted? I read it right here on PRSI

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

suit has no merit as immigration is a FEDERAL issue, not a state one, that is why Obama was able to take on AZ.

8. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Here ya go: Why Trump’s executive order on sanctuary cities is unconstitutional

Why do right-wingers hate the constitution so much?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I hope San Fran is ready to get it's stuff pushed in. Or go bankrupt I'm okay with either. All this talk about protecting illegals, no such talk or sympathies about US citizens that die by their hands.

11. 5684697, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ok but we can all agree the ones who break the law need to be sent back right?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that is one thing I don't understand, IF the illegal is in police CUSTODY because he obviously committed a crime, then WHY release him back to the gen population instead of sending him back to where he came from?

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Wouldn't need the feds to come in if the states and cities would follow the law. When they can't do their job daddy has to come do it for them.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It's like double standards. If you're a citizen you get punishment, if you aren't they can let you go? What? Honestly if they want to live here so bad and commit crimes maybe we should treat them the same. Of course the death row wait in Texas would be absurdly increased.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'd say money. Don't want to pay the money to house them. Don't want to pay the money to transport them to whatever federal facility. Or don't want to wait to be reimbursed for transport and security. Just me guessing.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there you go a huge waste of money that. A right wing wet dream come true and again a big failure and waste of money. I mean we all know all people on welfare are lazy good for nothing, druggie, beer swigging, baby making,never work layabouts.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Lawmakers need to be locked in a room and forced to come up with a plan. But there is one rule: the plan cannot be to have laws that are not enforced. They can either change the existing law or throw it out. If we are going to have a law then they have to enforce it. But if they don't want to enforce it they have to get rid of the law. Get that sh%# done and lets move on.

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

As a constitutional law professor Obama must be rubbing his hands in glee at all the interesting supreme court cases that are about to hit the courts just as his schedule frees up to give him time to read up on them.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Of course. But besides that fact of being undocumented, the majority don't break the law. And as long as they get due process.

21. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Drug test congress first.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

8 years of bending it to a hair short of breaking would lead people to believe that following the law is wrong.

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

24. jerwin macrumors 68000

The trouble is that the right sees law primarily as a tool to punish and harass classes of individuals.