San Jose U Hate Crime

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"Three university students in California accused of taunting their black roommate with racial slurs and references to slavery, once trying to clamp a bicycle lock on his neck, have been charged with hate crimes in an incident that has roiled the campus."

http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...tudents-chargedwithhatecrimesatcacollege.html

Wondering what the hell these guys were thinking when they pulled this crap? Just a joke?!?

2. Shrink, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How about that it was not a joke, it was the behavior of two sub human, racist ***holes.

Just thought I'd get that in before all the "what if" justifications come pouring in.

EDIT/Correction: THREE sub human, racist ***holes.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I can totally believe that the three white roommates thought they were joking.

We're talking about 18 year-old males.

They're generally not a very self-aware group.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Man PRSI has really let me down. I was expecting at least ONE post defending these kids.

I suppose there is still time. No need to lose faith quite yet.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well give it more than an hour on a Sunday. A lot of PRSIers are probably still in church.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think you'll get anybody actually defending them.

It is more likely that you'll get someone posting, "But what about 'X' incident? Why wasn't that also a hate crime? Why didn't that incident receive the same amount of attention as this one?"

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would take such a deflection as implicitly defensive.

Anyway, I shouldn't be here. I, uhh, don't mix well in PRSI. ;)

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You will not be disappointed...see Post# 3 (just above you post quoted!)

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It seems these were some racists looking to get into the Arian Brotherhood. I just wonder if this will come out into the trial.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think that qualifies as defense.

I'm suggesting that the predominant motivation for these acts was teenage male stupidity, not necessarily racial hatred — although it wouldn't surprise me to find that one of the students did harbor racial hatred and the other two followed along because of teenage male stupidity.

I'm not trying to excuse the acts ... only suggesting a more common alternative.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It is not my intention to get into a long discussion of adolescent psychology or neurobehavioral development. I would stand by my initial post and suggest that if you think adolescent behavior is not motivated by racism, misogyny, and other forms of group hatred...I would disagree categorically.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I get where you're coming from — and I'd love it if we could start a trend here in PRSI where we can disagree and discuss without animosity — but I think that where I'm giving these young idiots some benefit of the doubt is whether they we motivated by "hatred".

Hatred is a very distinctive emotion. And I'm willing to bet that if asked whether they hated their roommate or his race, they'd all genuinely answer 'no'. You'd probably hear the typical, "some of my best friends are black" response. That doesn't legitimize or excuse their actions.

I simply wonder whether they were motivated by racial hatred, or whether race was a component to this incident—which are two different things, IMO.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What defines hatred?

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

Not defending them, but bet I know where they got the bike lock around the neck idea from - Workaholics, a show on Comedy Central. 3 man childs live together and two of them do this to their roommate. Pretty funny on the show, not so much in real life.

15. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Wow. Just wow. :D

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It feels very distinct when I feel it.

Loathing, disgust, complete aversion ... a desire to react violently against.

I can believe it if one of those roommates was motivated by racial hatred and led the other roommates into acts that on the outside could be seen as racial hatred, but were sold at the time as, "wouldn't it be funny ... wild ... crazy ... if we did 'X'".

----------

This, + Jackass + Borat + all the other prankster programming on TV and the internet.

Excusable? No. Suspend those kids regardless.

But racial hatred? I need more evidence.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is it possible that these feelings, subconscious perhaps, could manifest such 'joking around?'

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. That's what I've been saying the whole time.

Teenage boys are not the most self-aware creatures on this Earth.

A tremendous amount of pain and suffering has been inflicted under the guise of "I was just joking around."

I am more inclined to believe that this is yet another case of that versus self-aware hatred.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If it involved nothing more than an occasional tasteless slip, and the kid in question got a little more bothered than he should, I'd agree with you. Sometimes people can say things they should've known better than to say without actually being hateful about it. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity and all that.

...but then you have situations with people writing racial slurs on whiteboards, hanging rebel flags, and putting a bike lock around a kid's neck and claiming to have lost the key.

They knew what they were doing.

On top of that, it's not like we all walk around in a semi-sentient haze until we're 24. Teenagers tend not to think of the repercussions of their actions, but that doesn't mean they're completely incapable of doing so.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I guess I would still see it as hate then.

I have a hard time understanding how anyone could treat another like that without harboring those feelings on some level.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They very well may have.

I'm not discounting the possibility.

----------

I totally agree with you.

But then I remember how stupid I was at 18 ...

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's kinda hard to considering the amount of times it happened. An isolated incident is easy to dismiss, but this sounds like an ongoing harassment campaign, which makes it hard to dismiss.

Yeah, they could've been joking around and took it a little too far, but I severely doubt it. There's a fine line between having a little fun at someone's expense, and being outright hateful. They very much crossed that line in my opinion.

We all were, Zen. We all were.

But it wasn't like we were incapable of thinking. Of all the stupid crap I did, and I did my fair share, I always at least gave a passing thought to the consequences. There was always an "maybe this isn't the best idea" floating around in the back of my head. Problem was, any and all concerns were always overridden by "well hell, **** it, this is FUN"!

...and then I set fire to a stolen shopping cart filled with gas soaked newspapers, hopped on my skateboard, and pushed myself down a really hilly street at breakneck speeds. At 3AM.

Sigh. Those were the days.

23. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Good point. Where is the line between joking with each other about our differences and going too far (those jokes really just masking your true feelings)? Don't get me wrong, these tools are way past that line!

----------

Should have filmed it. You could have been the original jackass.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

"Could've" been? :mad:

...well, actually no. They do some really nasty stuff I'd never dream of attempting.

25. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Nope, this has to be fake.

This is 2013, we elected a black president.

RACISM IS OVER!

I'm told this all the time.

/sarcasm