Sanders: "I will never tell you who to vote for. If I do, don't listen to me" ? Snopes = half-true

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The spirit of the answer is unequivocal. It's at least 80% true.

2. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

"After Hillary Clinton won the 2016 Democratic primary, rumors circulated that Bernie Sanders informed his supporters that if he ever told them whom to vote for, they shouldn't listen to them."

What a mess of an article.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't think Bernie has done a very good job. He keeps saying he doesn't want Trump elected, but his weak half hearted effort to steer his supporters could very well lead to that.

4. zin macrumors 6502

It's not up to Bernie to steer his supporters. It is up to Mrs. Clinton to earn their trust.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Incorrect. It's up to both if they really don't want to see Trump president.

It wouldn't even make sense for someone to passionately say that they think Trump would be dangerous and then sit back and do nothing.

6. zin macrumors 6502

It would make sense if you had any principles. Sanders called Clinton a war hawk, a puppet of big money, and unqualified. His lukewarm support for Clinton doesn't translate into support for Trump.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

If the net result is a Trump presidency, does it matter? Might as well throw outright support for the candidate you are supposedly against in that situation. As with all things in life, if you are in a position to make a difference, as Bernie certainly is, than do so. 100%. I don't feel 100% effort has been given at this point.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

It's neither. The onus is not on the candidate, it's on the voter to become informed and make a decision based on the information at hand.

Aside: I'd love to see a campaign where the candidates never mention their opponents or their opponent's policies. They would just talk about their own vision. They should never campaign based on fears about the other guy, just their own qualities . . . . . . wishful thinking, even up here in Canada.

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Where does said voter get that information? The candidate.

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

If the candidate is your only source for information you've already lost and, frankly, shouldn't be voting.

11. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

So if I want information about Clinton and her views, who do I go to for that? Wouldn't the horse's mouth be the best source? Or do I rely on addicting info for what they tell me Trump thinks?