"Sanders: Think hard about a protest vote this year"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Sep 16, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he is a worthless sellout, him & his horse can go...........

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This old geezer is hoping so much that Hillary croaks...

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I thought it was excellent. Especially the part about his grandchildren. Do we want a candidate who acknowledges climate change, or do we want to rally around the one who denies it?

Not to mention all the alt-right/race baiting crap that is part of the Trump campaign. Seriously, what kind of world and what kind of legacy do you want to leave your childern?

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The irony that he was a protest vote appears to be lost on Bernie.

5. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Bernie's speech sounds like a lot of repeated sound bytes that everyone else has used.

Also, if a candidate wins and imposes environmental regulations, won't companies just go offshore to countries that have fewer regulations? But I probably missed out on the days that and related issues were discussed by these same candidates, do you have any links we could read/watch/listen to?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    It's possible, but seems strange, I must agree.

6. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Berned

Berned.jpg

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Possibly at first. But change has to start somewhere would you agree? Can't be an inspiration to the world with our hands in our pockets. It all starts with speeches and actions. And yeah, it may be an uphill climb, but again, you have to start somewhere.

Trump starts nowhere.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

looks like neither of you were actual bernie fans because the first thing he said was, if he didn't get the nomination he'd vote for clinton. so calling him a sellout makes no sense

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I never heard that until it was pointed out.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Bernie should be in Brooklyn selling Seltzer water, not doing nothing in the Senate like he has for the last 30 years

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I can't figure out why some people are so crazed that Sanders urged his supporters to support the nominee. This is par for the course for the candidates who finish behind the primary season winner... yes even if they are quite a bit farther left (or right) of the candidate. The only reason not to endorse the nominee is if you actually want your party to lose the election.

Just because it's a year where some of the primary candidates were more populist than others, doesn't invalidate any of those ideas about still wanting your party to win over the other party. I mean I can't imagine Sanders supporters, if they actually undersatnd his policiies and the Sanders-affected policies of the Democratic Party, wanting any other candidate to win the general election. None of the other candidates is advocating anything like what the Democrats are advocating.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

When I saw the title of the thread i thought it meant to think hard about the option of casting a protest vote.

But that wasn't the case at all.

In an interview after the rally Bernie said ...
    I have to assume that given fuller context, "Think hard about a protest vote this year" didn't sound as positive in his speech as it does in a headline.

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I want a candidate for President that's never held a real job in his entire adult life, and whose wife bankrupted a college ...oh wait the DNC made sure he didn't have a chance.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

There's still a chance for your dream to happen. That's what write in votes are for. :D

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Write ins=worse than 3rd parties.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've been thinking maybe that's not true in the era of internet grassroots politics... we should start making a list of possible attractors. I mean going past populism, if you really want to send a message about the level of disgust we have for where the two parties have brought us, the proposed write-in candidate (just one, a real smasher) should be someone who as a total spoof candidate for President could appeal across the board. Some pop culture figure everyone's either heard of or get it with the top hit on a search engine query.

Marcel Marceau

Roadrunner

Mikey that kid from the wayback cereal commercial ("let Mikey try it"")

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Once again, Idiocracy proving it's a documentary.

[​IMG]

I honesty thought about it after Cruz backed out, then I thought about the consequences.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

As you know, I don't support either of our nation's choices for candidates. I also share a concern in preserving the environment.

But frankly I don't have much respect for politicians or celebrities going around preaching about environmentalism when their words don't line up with their actions. I understand the need for private transportation and such on the campaign trail and such, I'm speaking in their personal life. Trump obviously has a massive carbon footprint. But Hillary being schlepped around in a Suburban and purchasing a 5200sq ft+ 120 year old house (mind you for two people) doesn't sound like a remotely energy conscious.

We live in a free country, I'm not saying people can't own such houses. My parents live in a similar sized house 35 minutes from the Clinton's (at least we had 3 kids and 1-2 dogs). I just find it very hypocritical to profess the impact of climate change to the public but not model environmental responsibility.

Again, just my personal opinion speaking about politicians personal lives FWIW.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What do you think she should be transported in, a Prius? A Volt? You are completely forgetting her security needs which are far different from your own transportation needs.

As for house, well, unless they tore it down that house would still be standing there with someone in it. The same as all the other 120 year old houses in the area. If we replaced all the old houses, what kind of carbon footprint would that leave I wonder? And there still is that security need. I guess they could live in some hire rise building like Trump, but I'm not sure that would be much of an improvement.

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

Not to mention that Hillary and Bill aren't likely living their lives or using their house like your average suburban couple. I am willing to bet that they do way more that makes a larger house more reasonable.

I am also willing to bet that most former presidents lived in a larger house after their presidencies - I don't think many of them were living in a small rambler in modern times.

21. thermodynamic, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Who wouldn't agree? As far back as Kyoto or earlier?

Since "possibly at first" already took place, decades ago and increasingly so, my post you directly responded to already spelled it out.

Respectfully, your comment is not much more than a pale runaround as the companies who bark at customers about having to be green and not wasteful while being very non-green and wasteful (brown?) behind the scenes because they do not believe in the issue in their, what was that word you used again, "actions"? Or that they want the same supply side magical thinking and to cloak and shift blame?

China is an example of proof of the results of companies leaving America citing "environmental regulations hurt us" since, for a "developing country" (since that's what we were told China (still is)), they could have been built up by The West(tm) using more efficient and cleaner energy but guess what had not happened? There you go. Also, Snopes pointed out a thing or two as well, especially to those who made money off of preaching gloom and doom to us while sitting back and making runaround proposals that resolve nothing. THAT, more than any other reason, is why people stopped believing in "global warming". When the people getting rich off of selling the idea don't live the way they speak, for an issue that affects everybody - every last body - the "do as I say and not as I do" issue gets seen through.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Excellent and fair points, especially the first paragraph. Security is a valid issue for ALL of these candidates. We learned from the JFK era that things are not as Mr Rogers Pleasant Shiny Happy Valley as people numb themselves to believe. Hybrid and electric technologies are still not viable for those conditions, though technology still improves - it's one of the few facets of the facet of globalization that's actually genuinely noble, if that was the intent and people will debate for a month on that alone...

Okay, so specifics would be nice to read. And please don't keep making it partisan with examples since the core issue (the environmental "crisis") doesn't care about either and I doubt the Republicans are doing any better, apart from George W Bush's ranch (yeah, that surprised me too when I read up on it from a fact finding source several years ago).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    A certain amount of leeway is expected, but there is a point where it stops being leeway but becomes outright "do as I say not as I do". Especially when it's people we see or sell themselves as being leaders where leaders have (not unreasonable?) expectations to be sincere.

Trump, to my current knowledge, has never said he believes there's an ecological crisis. In which case, depending on facet discussed, he would be incorrect. But he's not said "Oh, gloom and doom!" to us while selling lies, being wasteful, making hollow incentive bills that do nothing to resolve the problem, needlessly take personal jets, continuing a company's wasteful philosophy of planned obsolescence or not use open standards to help reduce waste (e.g. removable camera sensors but keep the same body, standardized battery packs for wireless devices, etc), or even make a token effort. Possibly because they're insincere, possibly because they want to make a difference but are stuck in an incompatible economy, at some point are people just not going to care because they see the dichotomy and sheer level of double standards? It's insulting, to all of us, when they play games.

I just did a quick search with two key words, "environment Trump". The first result was a quote:

Sounds nice, but seems to not provide any solutions. And for blaming Obama, Trump forgets how Obama proposed clean water and EPA funding cuts around the time of the Flint crisis despite the Flint crisis (look it up, or I'll help out once again since I only parrot news sources and I presume many of them don't spin, but some do, but that's still their problem since that is what they're selling and they should know better to begin with than to swindle: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/obama-clean-water-cuts-flint-218949 If Politico is telling the unaltered truth, how pro-life and progressive does Obama look as a result? So is Politico telling the unblemished truth?)

22. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

There's plenty of more environmentally vehicles than Suburbans that are not hybrids.

She wasn't forced into buying a 120 year old house, let alone a 5200sq foot one.

This isn't a Trunp vs Hillary issue. And it doesn't only apply to Hillary. It's a put your money where your mouth is comment.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

How is buying a 5200 sq ft home not environmentally friendly?

I agree w/ you otherwise on all your other points

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

With bulletproofing? With steel plating? With different suspensions. Fine. Let's hear the specific vehicle you think she should be riding in.

Ah okay, so if someone doesn't speak up for the environment they can live as waste fully as possible. Got it. Like the car I am curious what kind of house you think she should have. You seem quick with criticism, not so quick on alternative solutions.