Sandy Bridge MBP not likely to use quad cores, but still dual cores

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pooprscooper, Dec 14, 2010.

1. pooprscooper, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

pooprscooper macrumors regular

The Sandy Bridge version of MacbookPro's isn't likely to use the quad core version but instead a dual core version with hyper-threading much like the existing lineup offers.

According to current Sandy Bridge listings:
    [​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_%28microarchitecture%29#Mobile_processors the quad core Sandy Bridge mobile CPU is 45W TDP while the current i7 processor used in MBPs today is only 35W. Due to size constraints and Apple's push to have 8+ hours of battery life they will be incapable of continuing to offering 8 or more battery hours if the switch to Sandy Bridge 45W quad cores is chosen.

The current 35W offering of Sandy Bridge is only a dual core with hyper-threading. There's still expected to be some improvement in performance as early benchmarks by Anandtech are showing a 10-30% performance boost per core on the desktop variants.

MBP 13" and regular Macbooks should see the switch to Sandy Bridge dual cores due the the integrated IntelHD 200 graphics(which appears to be on par with an ATI 5450) eliminating the need for a discreet Nvidia 320M in lower end models.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yikes, 45 and 55w TDP for the quad core, and I thought MBPs ran hot now.

3. skiltrip, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

skiltrip macrumors 68030

Sweet. Here's hoping my next 13" has a 2.5GHz i5 in it, AND keeps the DVD drive! ;)

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Regarding the i5's.... does the 0.1 GHZ spec difference per core warrant separate chips?

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hmm but dont the SB now include these heat reducer thingy or something.. i read it on macrumors, i believe or cnet.. one or the other :p

*grr i hope the macbook pro does offer as much typos.. i hate typos! (like the keyboard is much more typo friendlier(if thats possible)

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What kind of a heat reduction unit?
    If any it is going to be worse, because the new Turbo breaks the TDP barrier and overclocks for a few seconds even higher if the chip was cold before. Thus it will heat up faster and I cannot imagine how this helps to keep a cold notebook.

As for the topic. That is nothing new the SB specs are out for months now and while you can never rule it out entirely (with a redesign), it was always sort of expected to be Dual Core again.
    Still it is on DIE IMC much better low latency design. This will be the true nehalem dual cores.

Quad Cores will show up in MBP with the next shrink to 22nm I guess. Ivy Bridge.

7. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

I would love to see a quad-core in the MBP, but I have to agree... heat and battery life are an issue. My late 2009 (I think that's what it's called) MBP17 (Core 2 Duo 2.8) gets pretty freakin' hot at times, on the left side and between the keyboard and display. Sometimes I don't bother to fire up the stove to cook dinner, I just put a layer of foil on the computer and cook there. I don't do it often because it's a pain to clean the grease off of the display.

Rob

8. spacetoaster macrumors newbie

i dont really think that apple will release the next 13 inch Pros with an intel GPU and if they do they should remove the "pro" before they do. The white macbook would be fine with integrated graphics as the entry level product, even though the price should be lowered then imo.

i mean look at alienware, except for the fact that they are ugly and thick, they got an 11.6 inch notebook with an i5 and 1024mb dedicated graphicmemory. So i think if apple really wants to put dedicated graphics in the 13 inch then they can, and if they dont want to then they just shave our balls.

9. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

This was pretty much known when the Anandtech article was released in late August.

This is Intel we're talking about, so yes.

10. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Speaking of Alienware... I ordered one of those 11.6" monstrosities. Fifteen minutes after getting it, it was back in the box ready to be shipped back to Dell. What a complete, tacky, POS. It's almost as big as a 13" MBP, is twice as thick as my 17" MBP, and nearly as heavy. What's the freakin' point? Yikes.

The whole case looked so tacky. All the different backlighting options, while neat from a geek standpoint, just added to it. It was awful. But I can definitely respect it from a hardware standpoint.

Rob

11. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

obviously it wont be quad but it will still be fast.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

We've known this for months (at least I have) so I don't really see the point of this thread. We don't know what Apple will do. By improving the cooling system, a quad core is not impossible.

13. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

The appeal is for portable PC gaming. It packs great hardware compared to it's size and it's cheap. It's built in customizable lights and physical shape are definitely gimmicky but it's part of the experience. I purchased one a few months ago because of an outstanding back to school promotion and it's been highly reliable and versatile. Battery life peaks 8 hours too with the right settings.

If you want to see a heavy, laptop abomination you should checkout Alienware's M17x. You think the 17-inch MacBook Pro is a desktop replacement? That thing is a mini-tower with an LCD on a hinge. It weighs as much as a small child.

I've had great luck with both Apple and Alienware. Not everyone's needs are the same.

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+1

15. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

I hope apple uses those 45w quads on 17inch MBPs, removed the super drive and then use the space for more battery! :)

16. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

agreed, theres enough space in the 17" to house a burger factory.
    i could easily imagine a TT shaped heatsink with 3 fans

17. dime21 macrumors 6502

This ridiculous push to make everything "thinner" is why the MBP is limited to 35w TDP processors only. If Apple actually took the MBP seriously, they would make it a little thicker and a little heavier, in order to accommodate a Quad core CPU.

It would also accommodate a real GPU, instead of the watered down mid-range GPU we have today.

If you want a thin notebook, get the MBA. MBP owners want big computing power and don't care about a few extra millimeters here and there.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Speak for yourself. Women aged 15-19 and 23-27 love the current configuration of the 13". :p

19. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

quad core or bust

seriously, mac is only getting farther and farther behind

20. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I would like to see quad cores as well although I also wonder about the issues with heat. We were discussing this momentarily in the MR chat room. The cooling system needs to be reworked in order to handle quad core.

Right now Apple is going with a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mentality. It would be nice however if for people such as ourselves, they rolled the dice a bit.

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Looks like my nearly three year old MacBook Pro will have to last me through another MacBook Pro revision. I'm not getting a new one until I can get a quad core processor in it.

22. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

lol people just make up stuff.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Some people might even prefer a quad core 2.5 GHz with the Intel IGP, rather than a 35W dual core with a fast GPU (e.g. AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830). It would be a nice choice to have. But, putting in both quad core and discrete GPU would require re-engineering with a bigger power supply (too much current for the existing MagSafe connector?) and much better cooling. Nice idea, but, not likely at the moment.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It will be interesting to see what happens in the PC market after Sandy Bridge is released...they may very well either use a unique advertising method, update it, or change it all together. Most marketing research has shown no more (averaged) interest in it than other current and future technologies through at least mid 2011. The increases it provides are not seen as anything different from the standard progression of computers, which has been occurring since the very first processor was developed. With all of that said, I doubt you can apply the above to most Mac users as there is a strong repeat customer following, Mac users are on average more likely to have a higher interest in having up-to-date technology, and on average will spend significantly more than the average PC purchase. And to be honest, I will probably buy another 13 inch once it is updated myself. I'de assume it is still at least a quarter away from more specified announcements and probably three quarters of a year away from being released to the public. I'll cross my fingers for better cooling as I constantly sit my laptops on my lap!!!

25. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Other than the Intel logo (which they do now) it will probably be a "non event" given the fact that all manufacturers will eventually be using this chip.

Mac users are weird. And I disagree that the "average" user cares that much about the next technology update. Those that do simply know that Apple has a somewhat predictable update schedule.