Sandy, only the beginning?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, the biggest storm ever is about to hit the east coast. 50 million people will feel its effects in some way or another.

Will global climate change bring more such storms? Will the economic costs destroy economies?

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

No doom and gloom

The issues we have to worry about are droughts in the Midwest, soil erosion, and losing out ocean species. Florida has been dealing with hurricanes for a long time now, we can handle them and other storms.

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Florida doesn't have hurricanes that meet massive snow storms, nor does it have to deal with 11 foot tidal surges. Nor does Florida have the population that the NE does. I think that's the biggest issue with Sandy, the sheer numbers of people who live in its path.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"Will global climate change bring more such storms?"

Well yes. The prediction has always been that warmer waters will bring storms that are fewer in number but greater in intensity.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

We were hit in NYC with a hurricane last year and a bigger one now. I suspect this will be the new normal thanks to climate change.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, I'd argue that all of these are driven by climate change. Also, ocean acidification, which is definitely happening and is driven largely by the gigatons of carbon we're pushing into the atmosphere.

Of course, since climate change has become a political loser thanks to the doubt merchants, it's unlikely we'll see much movement there.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Has it been classified as the biggest ever?

I still have faculty calling from the east coast so it doesn't seem that bad as of yet.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

They are driven by over use I think. Either way, both are still a problem, climate change and carbon (btw, hasn't the US been reducing it's carbon output?).

But the whole "super storms" thing I think is just too preachy.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Not to mention tornados are becoming the norm here in NYC area.

10. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Are you on Facebook? I'll give you my page. It IS bad!

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This was a perfect storm for a reason, a lot of things had to come together just right for this to happen. The last perfect storm was 1992. Can we blame this on global worming the fact that the storm hit on a full moon or was that a coincidence. Or is the moon causing global warming too?

The last storm of this size was 1938, was there global warming then too? This will be considered the 100 year storm. Now if it happens again in 5 years you might be on to something.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, there's definitely a tendency to ask of any weather phenomena is this the sign of climate change and to a point the answer is yes and no. What climate change tends to do is increase the frequency and intensity of storms.

This particular storm and its effects could have been magnified by warmer ocean water, so the storm can have been driven by climatic shifts. Keep in mind that looking at the trend, that the number of hurricanes has been steadily increasing and they are also tend to be more powerful storms.

During the 1970s, the average number of storms in the Atlantic hurricane season was around less than 2 hurricanes per year, in the 1980s the average was about 5, the next decade it was 6.5 and in the 2000s 7.4.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This was not your average hurricane, in fact it wasn't really a hurricane, it was a freakish nor'easter hybrid that got sucked into a strange weather pattern. To me a bigger sign of global warming was the freak October snow storm that dumped 15 inches of snow and knocked out power to 800,000 in CT.

It is far too soon to say that this storm was global warming when the north east gets most of its big hurricanes late in the season. I think in a few years this storm will be studied and then we can decide.

For now I have to go to bed as there is a lot of flood mess I have to deal with in the morning.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

As as understood it, Sandy formed over Jamaica, making it a true hurricane, but it was pulled up into a nor'easter, making it as you said a "hybrid."

Yeah, also 90 degree weather here and the droughts in Texas.

Yeah, the climatologists all seem to be saying that they don't know, but the number and intensity is changing. I was surprised to learn that the hurricane season can extend into November.

Good luck with that. Stay safe and dry tonight.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It's not only the USA, extreme weather is happening all around the planet.:(
    For us that built a whole country under sea level it's worrying to say the least.

I for one see a link between these events and global warming.

16. MorphingDragon, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

It was warm and humid in Hamilton today. That's like Britain having good weather.

Oh, and I also got to deal with Christians going on about how hurricane sandy was Gods way of saying vote for Romney and that the events of 2012 are happening, but don't want to derail a thread now do we folks?

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

If that's the question, than the answer is currently no conclusion.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You guys are nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Climate changes, that's what it doe.

Always has.

Always will.

Do you remember the Coming Ice Age prediction from the 1970s? I do.

The pop-scientists were wrong then too.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well climate changes. That's a definite fact.

The issue here is how much humanity is influencing that change and how it will affect us.

Climate change can range from super storms, to smog, to depleting ocean resources.

I'm mostly worried about the latter.

20. APlotdevice, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

What you remember was a myth... in much the same vein as pop rocks and cola... not the actual scientific consensus of the time. In reality scientists were already coming to the conclusion that the earth was warming.

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Your attitude towards global warning is causing the glacier to push the envelope even faster now than your demeanor.

Maybe you should hurry up before the paper gets soggy.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Are you forgetting all the flooding and record setting that had been done prior to Sandy? Are you forgetting about Irene? And that was just last year. To have this much flooding, this many tropical storms is unprecedented. You don't need to wait and see if it happens again in 5 years. The pattern is already there for all to see, if only people would open their eyes.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

overfishing the oceans is very likely the most overlooked ecological disaster currently unfolding at the moment ...

it's bizarre how here in austria (where seafood consumption is below average) is actively pushed by the industry and for "health" reasons

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Pop-scientists? Is that your way of putting scare quotes around "scientists" without actually doing so? What makes climate scientists less qualified than scientists in other branches of the science?

Funny how scientists have given us EVERYTHING that makes modern life so awesome, and you accept their views on everything BUT man-made climate change and (wild guess here) evolution.

Yeah, yeah, Appeal to Authority fallacy and all that....but these guys are the experts. Quit armchair quarterbacking and admit you don't know what you're talking about.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Appeal to Authority isn't a fallacy simply because you appeal to authority.