Santa Rosa MBP Keyboard and Trackpad not working in OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by remyink, Mar 8, 2009.

1. remyink macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I'm kinda in a dead end. I bought my MBP back in 07. It was my first Mac and had been working flawlessly until a couple days ago. It's a 15" Santa Rosa Macbook Pro.

I have not had any of the video card failures. Everything has been working perfect on it since day one. I had my iPod touch plugged in to my USB port and was synching with iTunes. The AC power cable was not plugged in. I was running on battery power. I had about 80% battery left. Then all of a sudden my MBP went dead. Like if the battery had just been pulled out. I went and plugged it in. To my surprise when Leopard booted. It does boot fine wireless works the processor and hardrive are working. The keyboard and trackpad don't respond to anything I do.

I tried to see if the USB ports have any power, and they don't. I reset perissions, reset ram pram etc......... Been doing my research on this issue. I guess it's not so uncommon with Santa Rosa MBP's. The thing I don't understand is, when I put in my recovery disk and boot up while holding down either C or D. My keyboard and trackpad work fine. Even plugged in my iPod and iPhone thru USB and they start charging.

Not sure if my problem lies in Leopard, or if it's a hardware failure. Like I said. Everthing works fine in when I boot with my original Leopard disk. I don't have any money to repair it at the moment. It is my only cpu. I have a lot of info on it and don't have a backup hardrive. I don't even know if its possible to back it up now.

I would really appreciatte any advise you guys can give me. I don't want to spend 4 to 5 hundred dollars repairing something thats worth 800. It is my only cpu and love it. I am hesitant to take it to the apple store cause I don't have apple care. I don't want to find out I have a POS on my hands.

Thanks

2. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

its a problem with leopard, because as stated they work fine when booting!
    Gunna have to backup, wipe and install. :)

3. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

Here are two lengthy posts on this problem from other forums -- There is another on Macrumors if you search. Good luck.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/283006588831[/URL]"]

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1129578&tstart=0[/URL]

4. remyink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you responses. In particular SVD. I found my Leopard upgrade disk and did an archive and install on my MBP. It did it fine. I've done all the updates and im typing this on my brought back to life MBP. Thanks for the responses. You guys helped me out a lot.