Santorum just S*** the bed... Again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rampant.A.I., Sep 17, 2012.

1. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Wow. I am now definitely not voting for Santorum.

3. classicaliberal, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

For the record, I dislike Santorum. He's a raging right-wing social conservative without an ounce of real fiscal conservatism or real small-government conservatism. He opposes basic human liberty on a regular basis. I wish he'd just go away.

That being said, I think you're taking his comments completely out of context, and I think his point is valid.

First and foremost, 'smart' is what he said 'people who think they're smart' is what he meant to say. Obviously.

Second of all, people who are smart or who think they're smarter than the rest of society, are often the very same people who think they can create rules, regulations, laws, and tax policy that will manipulate free people into becoming better people, into their preferred society.

History has shown us that these attempts at manipulation often backfire, and usually damage society more than it was improved.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Are you referring to the history of the "church"?
    -------

The conservatives have no media backing them up? The conservatives have no academics backing them up?

This is quite an appalling fragment of his speech.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

For fellow USA citizens

Are you guys ****ing kidding me? Arguing over the word smart. Listen to the rest of it. He starts by saying the elite want power over you and then talks about how without the church America has no values and no future. If this doesn't scare the living **** out of you then I don't know what America you think you live in.

6. Rampant.A.I., Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Rampant.A.I. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I probably should've prefaced this by saying I'm aware this is spin... Just look at the YouTube channel it comes from. Obviously this is something taken "out of context" to "make conservatives look bad."

But the difference here is that regardless of context, this kind of thinking as you've summarized above: Well, it does look bad, sound bad, and it is scary.

The problem is, he isn't just talking about people who think they're smarter than everyone else. He's talking about Academia and educated people as a group, and pitting them against "the regular folk."

We've seen the same kind of party rhetoric for some time now, the kind of "us-vs-them" belief that rejects expert testimony, scientific information and study in favor of belief, and even rejects the idea of expertise.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- this guy is an idiot.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People in universities on "think" they're smart?

:rolleyes:

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cuz, ya know, they gots GOD. I mean with God telling you everything you need to know, who needs brains?

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The Devil and Rick Santorum

This is just the latest variation on a theme Santorum has been preaching since as least 2008...