Sarah Palin - Beauty Contestant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    A video of Sarah Palin competing in the Miss Alaska beauty pageant in 1984 (about 24 years ago). It was pulled from YouTube but has now resurfaced:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woIKv7NzXLE

Should the McCain campaign be concerned about this? It reminds me of the curfuffle over Carmen Kontur-Gronquist, who posted "racy" photos of herself on MySpace, prompting a "recall" vote.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23375835/

Is there a double-standard? Can we have a male politician like Arnold Swartzenegger appear nude in a relatively recent movie like Terminator 3 and in past body building photos, but for a female to show body-building contest pictures or appear in a beauty contest, and she's flirting with scandal?

The unpleasantness over Miss Teen USA's Miss South Carolina commentary has been a black-eye for Beauty contestants everywhere, and for time immemorial, the stereotype of how winners would make themselves role-models and hope for world peace has been a running joke. Having a past beauty contestant become vice President of the United States would certainly radically transform expectations.

But there is another perspective: From unwed teen daughters, to ethics investigations, to beauty contestant videos, to suggestive photographs circulating around the net... it just sounds like a candidate like Palin would be absolutely vilified as a Democratic candidate. As it was, Hillary Clinton was often vilified for suggesting being a stay-at-home mother was an unworthy career with her infamous quote:
    What was intended as a note of feminist empowerment, came to be re-characterized as an indictment on the value of full-time child rearing... proving that every step up the ladder for women is met with a powerful series of debates on dichotomies of the complex American culture.

Are there any stereotypes to burst here?

~ CB

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I have to admit, my off-the-cuff reaction is that this video sure doesn't help her credibility any. But then I thought the same thing about Schwartzenegger and his movies.

I do like the music they played while she was strutting around. Sounded like some cheap strip club band. I was waiting for them to play "Harlem Nocturne" or something.