Sarah Palin doesn't know what Bush Doctrine Is

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jplan2008, Sep 11, 2008.

1. jplan2008 macrumors regular

This is even scarier than the War with Russia part. More evidence of not just lack of knowledge, but lack of even basic interest in foreign affairs to not know this. This is terrifying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eJmviNyhfk

2. voxnj macrumors regular

You have to admit, Sarah and John deserve each other. The Belignorant One wants to war with Russia and her senile sidekick wants to Bomb/bomb/bomb Iran.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I've lost enough sleep worrying about McCain being in charge of the US, let alone what would happen if he...

Gahh.

4. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

I agree, they do. America, however, deserves much better than this. Much better than the lunatics running the asylum. Is this what the American people want, another 4 years of ignorance in the White House.

I despair.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've seen deer in my headlights that look less confused than her.

7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

If she is ever president, we should ask as a nation for someone to invade us and take us over. We're not better than a colony for the idiots of the world.

Maybe Japan would like to have us?

8. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

OMG. I'm watching right now.

Someone give me a hug. I'm terrified. :(

And I wish I were joking.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In her defense *gods help me* asking someone to explain / defend Bush's doctrine in 2008 is like asking someone what the Lamarckian theory of evolution is. Now the fact that her second response, when redirected, was that, based on intelligence data, pre-emptive strikes are justified, and that she could say this without any mention of the risks of faulty intelligence data, in 2008, is somewhat more disturbing.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

She does not have a clue, does she? What a complete hoser. You could walk into any DAR meeting, grab some neocon biddy at random, and she would probably know more about running the Country than Palin.

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I completely disagree. Anyone who has paid serious attention to US politics for the last 6 years or so should know, at least generally, what the Bush Doctrine refers to.

I'd be interested to see a list of books she's read over the past 6 years...

#1) The Bible
    #2) ?

12. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I agree.

13. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Truly, she makes Dan Quayle seem Einstein-like. It breaks my heart to admit it but I just can't seen Obama winning this election, so this moron of a woman will end up as Vice President of the United States of America?

Good God.

Well, one positive way of looking at it is that your enemies will laugh themselves to death - a cost effective way of winning the 'War on Terror'. :rolleyes:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you gave me a multiple choice test, yeah, I do remember Bush originally outlining this doctrine and what it means, and of course I understand its import for politics. I understand why it's called the "Bush Doctrine," in line with things like the Monroe Doctrine. But I think Bush is an idiot. I have a hard time remembering which of his stupid policy decisions is called the "Bush Doctrine" and which one is called the "Bush fiasco" and which one is called the "Bush cluster." If I have anything to say about it, the next president won't be following any Bush doctrine anyways. So in hindsight, other previous foreign policy doctrines are remembered historically by name because they were followed by multiple US presidents, IIRC. I have no intention of letting another US president follow this doctrine.

So yeah, sorry. I do follow politics, I probably could not have recalled without any help in 2008 what the term "Bush Doctrine" means, even though I recognize it and with the cue, can remember its original enunciation.

If that makes me ignorant, I apologize.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Well, let's not forget that she's been "boning up" on foreign affairs too. What does that say for her and her tutors?

16. jplan2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I don't agree that there's anything esoteric or outdated. This doctrine was used as the excuse to get us into the two (official) wars we're involved in, and has a lot to do with the official US stance in its "war on terror." -- "you're either with us or you're against us." Those two wars are the major foreign policy issues that the public cares about, and are the ones that are talked about. People are wondering if she knows the names of heads of state of whatever country, but she doesn't even know the governing tenet of the US for this major area of foreign affairs. This isn't a matter of learning by January 20. This, like I said, is someone who has a layperson's knowledge and INTEREST in foreign affairs (because if she had the interest, she'd have this basic knowledge). And she covers up her lack of interest and knowledge with rhetoric she's heard on TV or learned to prep for interview. This doctrine (along with the false "intelligence" data you refer to) has a lot to do with the way the U.S. is viewed in the world, and that (negative) view is a major threat to our security (an international poll just came out, of people from countries around the world -- less than half believe that Al Quaeda was responsible for the 9/11 attack. It's not just the lies in the "data," but what we did with those lies that give people such a negative view). Even though I don't agree with Bush or the Doctrine, there are ways to hedge through and defend the Doctrine ("Terror is a new kind of threat and we need new weapons against this insidious enemy" or whatever BS), but to do that, you'd obviously have to know what the Doctrine is.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I get confused also ...

But all she has to do is show that she at least passed he college courses to make me feel a bit better.

This slacker frat boy looks to much like a Cheney puppet, at least we know Palin won't control the President -- unless she likes to wear stained blue dresses. (err, I take that back, won't know how much power she'll end up with)

18. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

But you're not a Republican Governor running for the office of Vice President of the USA.

19. jplan2008 thread starter macrumors regular

You're not running for Vice President of the U.S. You don't claim that your "executive experience" and ability to "not blink" equips you to be President should that day come. (and as Ntombi said, you haven't been prepping for foreign affairs questions these past weeks.)

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's fair. I'm not running for Vice President. But neither Sarah Palin nor I is going to be Vice President next year. :p

I guess I'm just trying to say that being pop quizzed on what the phrase "Bush Doctrine" means, rather than the actual underlying policy stance, to me, seems like something that many politically knowledgeable people can flub up. To me, it's in a different class, say, than her gaffe regarding Fannie and Freddie or her Bridge to Nowhere situation, which deal with poor judgment or ignorance on the core issues, and not just an inability to identify a policy by its historical name.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I didn't remember what it was either, but that's ok because we're not running for vice president ;)

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Anyone that's running for VP or president should know it like the back of their hand. Hell, even I could have recited it to you and I'm 20.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The band of their hand? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that expression.

24. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Must be an Oregon thing.