Sarah Palin: Going Rogue

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Anyone interested in Sarah Palin and her new book? What role do you think she still has to play within the Republican Party and/or the conservative movement? Do you think she'll run in 2012, and if so, what do you think her chances would be?

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I don't think she'll run for Pres in 2012, but we'll see. She'd get hammered by the left. I think her chances of winning would depend on how much national dept we've accumulated by then. She'll more likely run in 2016.

I haven't read her book... maybe I should...

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I am proud of Alaska's former Governor; she is a model for American women! Strong conservative, working mother, sportswoman, and Republican politician, she exemplifies the character this nation needs! I see a great difference in the manner she was and is treated in comparison to Democrat Vice President candidate Geraldine Ferraro; Sarah was harassed and mocked during 2008 campaign yet Democrat Ferraro escaped such treatment. Nonetheless, I hope Sarah's book tour goes well and credit to her...

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of a possible presidential run. :D

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I don't get it. And I say this as a Republican who voted McCain/Palin (purely as a lesser of two evils pick, but all the same...).

In her favor, she took a horribly corrupt Alaskan state government and did improve that. (Then again, her predecessor didn't exactly make it hard to be an improvement...) However:

She's not especially intelligent, she's a quitter (couldn't finish her term as governor), she's as bad as any of them about wasteful spending (see bridges to nowhere & road to bridges to nowhere), ethically compromised (used her travel budget as governor to take her family sightseeing), and doesn't even have a decent media presence (seriously, she couldn't handle a softball interview from Couric? For shame...).

So, in short, I don't see much to like, and hope that her political career is over. I could easily name 5 people I'd rather have run in her place for the GOP come next election. Yes, she got grilled by the media, while Obama got/continues to get a very kind eye from the press. However, if the positive veneer of her presence was so weak that the American media could shatter it so easily, I'd hate to think what would happen when she was put in a truly demanding situation.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm undecided whether she'll run or not, I'm thinking she won't. If being governor was "too hard" being president will be even tougher. I think the other Republicans will tear her apart during the primaries. She just cares about raking in the cash, she'll do some talks, right some more books and have an easy life.

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Sarah Palin's primary interest now with her book, based on my understanding, is to tell her side of the 2008 campaign and address some of the inaccuracies the media depicted in their treatment of her. I am anxious to read through the book and contrast her depiction of events with the liberal media's account.

In terms of a possible presidential run, Sarah is quite influential as NY-23 reveals. She may take a ringside stand in 2012, preferring instead to press the conservative message rather than being a candidate herself. Or, she may decide to run herself. I'll support her in any capacity, since, due to her accomplishments thus far and conservative credential - she has my endorsement.

8. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I'm curious: what accomplishments and credentials in particular stand out to you as worthy of garnering your endorsement?

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The AP did a fact check on her book:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/ne...ins_book_goes_rogue_on_some_facts.php?ref=fpa

Sounds pretty inaccurate to me (or are they the liburl meddya?).

Yup, as NY-23 reveals, she is a great asset… for the democrats.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I think sysiphus put it pretty well.

I don't know if she'll run in 2012, but I'm pretty sure the Republican party will try to dissuade her. They know a potential disaster when they see it.

As for whether I'll read her book: no. I saw and heard quite enough of her opinions on the campaign trail and throughout the health reform debate. And if I do want to read some poorly thought out right wing polemics, I can always come here.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The book isn't even out yet and fact checking has turned up countless lies and spin. I'm shocked that anyone can even think this woman is capable of being President. Let's face it, she quit on her constituents to sell a book. Hardly Presidential material.

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Thanks.
    Holy crap, we agree on something related to politics! :eek: Haha. I know (by the standards of this board, at least), I'm usually one of the more right-wing posters--but I just don't understand the support for Palin.

13. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Interesting since book isn't yet released! Did "AP" do a similar "fact check" on Obama's books? How about Obama's birth certificate? Can we expect "AP" to do a fact check on it?

Palin's endorsement in NY-23 race propelled a relatively unknown businessman in race to a near statistical tie in votes counted - Democrat Bill Owens's lead over Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman narrows in absentee ballots. But the issue here is Palin's influence in conservative values: Palin exposed the RINO Republican (Dede Scozzafava) for what she was and she was forced to resign from race. That sort of influence is powerful and we appreciate Palin for it.

14. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Are you serious? How do you think that media organizations have reviews ready on release of anything? It's called a pre-release copy. Very interesting stuff ;)

I'll let somebody else jump on the easy target that is the birther question.
    I am still curious, however, what specific qualifications/accomplishments merit your support of Palin...?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you want to be taken seriously?

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Try reading next time, it's a great skill to have.

fixed that for you

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I won't buy much less read the book. It was ghostwritten simply to raise cash for the Palins and I see no reason to support a quitter.

This book is Palin's comet tail and although she will probably be popular as long as she keeps her looks, she has no staying power. Just like Michelle Bachmann in Minnesota, she's too far right to have any long term success in the republican party. What the repubs need to do now is recoup all the right leaning independents who jumped ship because of 8 years of bushco. Embracing pitbulls with lipstick isn't going to get them anywhere.

18. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Sarah Palin was governor of one of this nation's largest states and held equivalent experience as other state governors and held the state's support while in office; Bill Clinton brought such experience when he ran for president.

Yes she stepped down before completion of her term from the Governor's office; much like, for example, Obama stepped down from his junior Senate term to take the office of president.

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Palin' has no political career to speak of (if her disastrous performance in the Presidential election campaign didn't do for her, her quitting as Governor of Alaska surely has) but she well be a powerful voice within the conservative wing of the Republican Party for some time, probably through an extremely lucrative job as an opiniontainmenteer with Fox News, radio shows, books and the like.

20. awmazz macrumors 65816

And this helps her Republican credentials how? That's one batch of enemies she's made within her own party already. Plenty more to come if she holds true to form.

Her book title says it all. She's not a team player. It doesn't need all those extra pages to explain that, just why. She won't be running as a Republican is my bet.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yes, by land mass, Alaska is the largest state, however, only 686,293 people lived there as of July 2008 Source: U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. And according to any number of reports, she spent most of her time in as governor in Anchorage.

Not only that, the sum total of her political experience was 6 years of mayor of Wasilla, a small town with a population of just over 10,000 people. She spent just slightly more than two years as governor of Alaska, the last months of course she was on the campaign trail and writing and selling a book, so in all honesty, only about a year and a half in office.

She obviously has very little political experience as shown repeatedly by her actions as mayor and as governor, much less by her constant missteps on the campaign trail.

22. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I'm going to take your second argument first: Obama dropped his Senate job to become President. Pail dropped her Governorship to...do what, exactly? Sell books and stump for other politicians? Please tell me you're not really putting those on the same plane.

As for Palin's qualifications/merits: first off, you still haven't pointed out anything exceptional or impressive that she's done to merit one's support. Even if you're willing to write off her experience as governor as good enough, then yes, Alaska is huge--but it's also pretty empty. The hardest thing she had to do was sell Murkowski's jet and sign deals with oil companies.

23. awmazz macrumors 65816

The Australian electorate of Kalgoorlie covers 2,295,354 sq.km. A single electorate 30% larger than the entire state of Alaska. And your point being?

[​IMG]

I don't recall Obama needed to step down from his junior term to write his own book. Nor did he need someone else to write it for him. So, not so 'much like' to the casual observer.

24. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Intra-party fighting

Andrew Sullivan piles in:

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

"One of the most substantive policy books I've read."- Rush Limbaugh

LOLz