Sarah Palin needs to go to college

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 25, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here it is, your Thursday Sarah Palin thread. BTW, didn't she already go to 4 or 5 of them? :D

Link

I guess that means her critics were right, she knew little when plucked from obscurity to be McCain's running mate and still knows little.

I don't think her 'college' will take kindly to the crib notes o=written on her hand.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So now she'll be the pawn of some other people.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

College? She needs to go back to high school at the very least.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Palin is not unlike Ross Perot's pick, Admiral Stockdale, who was a warm body to put into the VP spot without too much thought.

I read Palin's biography, and while it shows a lot of admirable things about her as a local politician, a maverick against a lockstep GOP, a good mother and grandmother, it shows she is not a foreign policy person.

If she is to run for President in 2012, she will have to know a lot more about the Middle East, Venezuela, Mexico, and current issues with warlords in Africa. If she becomes President then, or in 2016, these issues may be key problems if she's in the White House.

On the domestic front, she wants to cut government spending and limit lobbyists. I get that. But a President who is blind to what is going around in trouble spots around the world is a very scary thing.

I don't think it's possible between now and November 2010, when the first 2012 hopefuls start announcing for the primaries, that she will be able to study enough to take on more seasoned politicians like Gingrich, Jindal, Huckabee, and Romney. Even Dan Quayle and Pat Robertson know a great deal more about foreign policy than Palin ever could in such a short time.

Palin's political experience pretty much amounts to local politics of a small city, and an isolated state with a small population and that's just not enough. To get up to speed she would have to have somebody like Henry Kissinger and Madeleine Albright move into her house tomorrow. :)

5. macfan881 macrumors 68020

you got to rember though College is for the Liberal Elites.;)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=865996

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Unfortunately this is why advisors surround the POTUS, and it's been going on for years. We really haven't had a "qualified" POTUS since, well, I really don't know when. I am NOT defending Palin in any sense of the word. I really wish she would just fall off the planet and we can all move on to someone that is WAY more qualified than her. But the truth remains that apparently, a warm body in the white house is really all it takes these days, which is really sad.

Obama is a decent breath of fresh air, but even he is not fully qualified in all aspects of what a POTUS should be qualified... Bush was not qualified in any aspects, Clinton etc etc etc all the way back to probably Truman. Being the POTUS has become the American Idol of politics. it really isn't about how qualified you are it's more about how popular you are. Which is sad, very very sad... And thus why Palin has a following, and dare I say (holding my hand to my chest to try and calm my heart from exploding) why she may have a shot in 2012. God help us all...

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Here amid yet another drive-by Palin-bash threads we have a reasonably thought out post... hallelujah... though I disagree with your findings apropos of Governor Palin your post is worth a response...

Okay I agree... Palin's not a diplomat. That much is clear. But there again, how we doing in foreign policy now with our much vaunted Harvard-educated scholar? What has he done and what are his accomplishments in foreign policy? Moreover, the current leader was so attuned to foreign policy that he appointed someone to the office of Secretary of State with less foreign policy experience than he has! Yes less... Clinton had zero diplomatic experience when appointed, unless you count dodging non-existing sniper fire as International Diplomacy! So if you attest that Palin is not a "foreign policy person" you'll get no argument from me. Palin will simply have to appoint someone to assist her. There again, what are you comparing her against? Someone who gives a $19.95 DVD movie collection as a state visit gift? Someone who bows to Baltimore mayors? That's what your holding up as the Gold Standard of international policy?

In 2012 the focus of American voters will be our DOMESTIC front not our INTERNATIONAL front; we will be facing enormous inflation, continued unemployment, staggering deficits, and a republic fractured under the Obama experiment. Trust me: it will be more important for the leader of the nation in 2012 to know about tax cuts and fast job creation than the Middle East.

How's that Harvard grad doing internationally for ya? Name a single international accomplishment thus far? (Oh wait... there was that success about getting those two journalists released from NK but that had Bubba's name all over it)... Anything else?

I am not convinced that Palin will run for office; I hope she does but it is uncertain at this point. She may be far more effective for the GOP to act as a bridge between the ultra-conservative Tea Party movement and the RNC GOP actors to keep candidates in the party honest to party planks. Nonetheless, Palin serves in a key area and brings a fresh outside-the-beltway voice to the GOP. If she serves as lightning rod for criticism she certainly takes the attention and focus away from others, who may benefit. That's a strategic value to GOP.

Palin has been second guessed and attacked mercilessly since her nomination as VP candidate, yet she still stands. Moreover, she is fully vetted - that means her opponents have thrown all their dirt and stones and yet she still stands. Whoever the GOP picks to run in 2012 has to be subject to all the new dirt liberals throw and at the moment no more dirty stones exist to throw at Palin, whereas a new face is subjected to new ridicule. This is also a strategic consideration for a campaign. Insofar as when she becomes president, Palin could appoint anyone to handle international policy; President Bush was well served by Dr. Connie Rice.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im assuming everyone knew that O'reilly didn't mean actual college, but from the responses I am not too sure. :p

9. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

blinded by hate they are.

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Actually, I am not a drive by sniper or major supporter of Palin. I try and keep it fair.

I admire her from what I know about her as a person from her book. It paints a portrait of a very decent person, yes, but the the foreign policy brain we will have to need will hopefully be in every candidate from both parties. Obama may not have come in as a foreign policy person with experience, but believe me, he has that now.

Romney, Gingrich, Jindal, Huckabee, and others in the GOP have taken all the attacks from pundits from the Democratic side, and some fire from the conservatives. They are all standing, too.

No GOP candidate who has a serious chance of getting the 2012 nomination has any scandals big enough to disqualify them. It would have to be something huge.

What it will come down to, perhaps, is a body of qualified, educated, experienced Republicans hashing it out in a very harsh primary and the last one standing (if any good feelings are left over for that person) will have to run for the GOP in 2012. I don't think any Republican will play "nicely" in the primaries. It will be as dirty and bloody as the Democratic primaries were in 2008, maybe worse.

You don't think Palin will run? I didn't either but her latest comments on Fox shows that if she doesn't get the GOP nomination, she has not ruled out a run in a "third party" as she has mentioned. She has a "just in case" scenario if she doesn't get the GOP nomination.

Say what you want about Palin, but she is not quitter, and is a very tough competitor. If she doesn't get the GOP nomination, she won't just "go away". She has far too many supporters who will vote for her in a third party run.

It's hard to predict now, but if she ran on a third party ticket, she can be as successful as Ross Perot, who is the most successful Presidential, third party candidate in US history. Many millions voted for him and he got nearly 20% percent of the popular vote. Palin can get those types of numbers as a third party candidate in a Tea Party, the Constitution Party, the Reform Party, the American Independents, or just as a self certified independent candidate.

Her environmental stances against big oil, while admirable, are not enough from the Greens to employ her. The Libertarians are far too socially liberal to consider Palin. Those are the #3 and #4 national political parties, respectively.

The Constitution Party can't get on enough ballots, though they have a huge following in California, but could never carry that state. Their California membership trumps the Libertarians and Greens in their national memberships. The former Reform Party got the most votes with Perot, but they are pretty much at odds with themselves right now.

If I were Palin, and I wanted to run third party, I would create my own party.

The Tea Party has too many socially liberal Libertarians for her to get enough honest support and it would be a house divided. She could only be effective with the Tea Party if she dodges all social questions and sticks mainly to lowering taxes. She would also have to take on the non-interventionalist views of many of the Tea Party members. I don't see her doing that.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So why did she quit as governor of Alaska?

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh Sarah, please do run 3rd party. That will guarantee another term for Obama. In fact, I may have to vote in the republican primary just to cast a vote against her in the hope that she will go 3rd party.

The Alaskans who elected her to a 4 year term as governor beg to differ.

20% isn't a win. It didn't even equal a single electoral vote for Perot. But 20% would be enough to split the right and both halves of the right would get their asses kicked in an Obama landslide.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's more like, "Say what you want about P***n, but she's a quitter."

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Stepping down from the executive office ("quit" is a matter of interpretation) was the best option both for Alaska and its citizens, given that the 2008 campaign left the Governor many legal issues in which to address, among these, frivolous politically-motivated complaints against Governor, lodged by Democrats and her political opponents, that divided her time away from the governor's office to the exclusion of her official duties. Moreover, the legal expense of addressing these legal issues (all but one dismissed by the Alaska Personnel Board) would have precluded her attention on the office of Governor and the job of governing. Thus, the Governor's selfless actions of stepping down from the office, and Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell taking over as Governor, was in Alaska's interest as well as her own.

Indeed. I feel her folksy outside-the-beltway attraction contrasts well with the Chicago mob disaster; throw in a depression as 2012 is shaping up to be and Palin gets the nod and wins in a landslide...

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just make sure it's a college with lots of white people so she feels comfortable... :p

16. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Seriously dude. How the hell do you write this stuff and still be able to look at yourself in the mirror?

I don't think I have even seen someone more partisan in a forum.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

1) If going as third party, it will guarantee a win for the Democrats. I too would like to see Obama get a second term. For one year, I think Obama's accomplishments, or at least the over 5% GDP growth, is far better than any of the eight years George W. Bush had. I expected better from Obama, but he still is far, far better than any Republican would have been, imho.

2) I think Palin may have quit the Governor's job to get ready for a third party run in 2012. This is just a hunch but I think Palin's falling out with McCain's campaign people, especially chief GOP strategist Steve Schmidt ('04 Bush/Cheney campaign, Karl Rove's key assistant, 2 conservative Supreme Court Justices getting in, and the Govenator), sealed her fate as forever being an outsider in the greater GOP. Whoever the GOP runs in 2012, be sure they will get Schmidt, the GOP's equivalent to the Dem's James Carville.

3) 20% of the popular vote will make an historical statement, but it won't get one electoral vote for her.

18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So.......

...someone decides to run for president, and then works on getting the knowledge to apply for that credential... afterward?

She sure isn't a progressive. This seems a little more... "regressive."

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. No one resigns to run, they resign after winning. Did Obama, McCain, Kerry, Gore, etc, resign from their respective positions to run? No, they didn't.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sarah Palin goes to College? Is that a movie?

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's the sequel to Animal House. And just like Bluto, she probably thinks the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

22. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. Whose Nailin' Paylin is though.

[​IMG]

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is that your own personal copy of it? :p

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WOW.

Thats all I can say. If the tables were turned you would NEVER shut up about Obama being a quitter.

25. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I wouldn't be surprised if she thought Spain was a city in Mexico :rolleyes: she just doesn't deserve what she's already gotten, much less a VP or worse