Sarah Palin: nukes are best Putin containment strategy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 8, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed.

She seems to forget that not a single nuclear warhead was fired at the USSR by Reagan, yet he was able to not only contain Gorbachev, but helped to bring down the entire Iron curtain and end the Cold War…

Without firing a single shot.

And people wanted this woman as vPOTUS? It's about as crazy as Ted Nugent joining PETA.

BL.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

As Pres. Obama, once said "Last I checked, Sarah Palin's not much of an expert on nuclear issues..."

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yeah, sure, go ahead and nuke Russia. Because there is defiantly nothing wrong with such a decision. :rolleyes:

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. Sarah Palin would have made an excellent president.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No denying nukes are a deterrent.

You see anyone proposing storming the Ukraine like we did in Kuwait? Nope. If Russia didn't have nukes "peacekeepers" would blowing stuff up already.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

What worries me more than Sarah Palin saying this stupid statement, is there are people who take her seriously.:eek:

But the point about being a deterrent I hope is not lost on Iran.:rolleyes:

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This whole CPAC conference is an embarrassment to the US. Nothing more than a bunch of conservatives playing a game of can you say something stupider than I did. I'm not even sure that Palin's remark would make the top 5 of the dumbest comments made there.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The woman couldn't hit the floor with her hat.

Monumentally, epically stupid person.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is unfortunately a good point IMO.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

So what.

Sarah Palin's statement is moronic. What exactly is she proposing? We should have armed Ukraine with Nuclear weapons on the assumption that they are "good guys" that we can trust with nukes?

Should we arm all nations that we consider to be good guys with nukes? Or is she saying we should make a declarative statement that if anyone invades countries we consider to be good guys? Or we should say we'll nuke anyone who does anything we don't like?

Or is she really just saying nothing of any meaning or substance? Is she just saying something that sounds slightly clever until you spend a second thinking about it.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You got it. This is Sarah Palin's style of politicking to a T. Lots of noise, very little substance.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You are a diplomat and a gentleman, Sir.:D

No substance at all...says I!:mad:

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Apparently you haven't read my post in the favors thread. :p

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You were a gentleman, your acquaintance was an asshat...fully deserving of some retribution!

There are limits...:mad:

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Lets have Canada put nukes on the Alaskan border and call it the best Palin containment strategy. ;)

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

With Palin this is usually the best guess. She probably just heard people saying that the only thing that'll stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun and took it to its logical conclusion when it comes to disputes between countries.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He's just lucky I forgot to refill my bucket of throwing rocks. :mad:

...something, apparently, Sarah Palin never has a problem with.

19. Technarchy, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You're injecting your own narrative into the quote.

It's pretty clear she's talking about a deterrent, which is a nicer way of saying mutually assured destruction.

The Neo-USSR antics of the Russians in the Ukraine can and will continue because they have nukes. The western world is not walking on eggshells out of courtesy.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No. Can. Do.

We are one of the signatories of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

The best I could suggest is the Northern border of Washington State.

But be careful not to have them fly over Canadian air-space. Another no-no.

:p

She just shakes her head and another one pops-out.

21. VulchR, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Meanwhile in both the Kremlin and the White ambulances are called due to odd outbreaks of cracked ribs from laughing so much at Palin..... Seriously, they day she gets elected to a federal position is the day I apply for Russian citizenship.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The utter idiocy of Sarah Palin sometimes defies belief. I honestly don't believe she is capable of logical thought.

The United States currently has several thousand nuclear warheads. And these apparently did not dissuade Vladimir Putin from sending his military to take control of Crimea.

Ukraine did at one time have a nuclear arsenal. But was persuaded to surrender their weapons in an agreement signed by Ukraine, Russia, the UK, and the US: the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances. Ukraine at the time had the third largest nuclear arsenal in the world- and getting them to become a non-nuclear state has to rank of one of the most important, but quiet, diplomatic triumphs of the past thirty years. Literally making the whole world a lot safer.

Is the idiot half-term former Governor really suggesting that Ukraine would have been better off if it had kept its nuclear weapons? And, if that is the case, then what sort of message is American's favorite hockey-moron sending to, uh, Iran or North Korea?

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I think her point is glaringly obvious, that as an ally of the USA, Ukraine should be protected. And in the case of Russia especially, part of the protection that the USA offers is a nuclear deterrent.

You'd have to inject a liberal :D amount of your own bias into Palin's comments to think she was even remotely suggesting that we give Nukes to Ukraine or anyone else.

24. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

One of the key aspects to any message is who the audience is. The people who enjoy this kind of message are why we keep hearing them.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How is Ukraine a US ally?