Sarah Palin Tax Cheat

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Oh my. Tea Bagging and Tax Cheating.

Link

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- Records show that Sarah Palin has not paid any property taxes on cabins that have been built on two backcountry plots partially owned by the former Alaska governor.
It's unclear how long ago the structures were built, but records show that there are no tax assessments for the buildings. Property taxes were only paid on the land - and not the structures themselves.
The issue has attracted the attention of local tax officials who conducted a scheduled aerial survey of the property on Thursday.

Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, says it is not the responsibility of property owners to report structures that go up on their land. But local assessor Dave Dunivan says owners are required by state law to report any omissions or errors in their tax assessments.
Developing

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What? How is it not the property owner's responsibility to report building? Isn't that why you always have to jump through hoops to even build a ****ing shed?

What kind of lame excuse is that?*

*Of course, things may be a little different in Alaska for zoning and building permits, but you still certainly have to pay taxes on buildings you own!

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Developing
I'm confused. So is it: "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [period]" or is it "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [question mark]"? Personally, I don't care, but some of the recent threads have caused great consternation amongst contributors for having alleged inflammatory or misleading thread titles.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I'm confused. So is it: "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [period]" or is it "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [question mark]"? Personally, I don't care, but some of the recent threads have caused great consternation amongst contributors for having alleged inflammatory or misleading thread titles.

I don't see a question mark there. Do you?

The developing was merely commentary on my part but you know that since it was outside the quotes tags.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Do contributors have more sway than everybody else? Or do you mean the contributors of the thread?

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Can't even build a cabin out of your surrounding land without the government taking a piece anymore. its sad. You know, if I bought a piece of land up in CO and wanted to chop my own wood to build a house, the government can go **** themselves.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Can't even build a cabin out of your surrounding land without the government taking a piece anymore. its sad. You know, if I bought a piece of land up in CO and wanted to chop my own wood to build a house, the government can go **** themselves.
Thats property and a building, you can't cheat out ownership laws "because its just a cabin."

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Because I bought the land and anything on it, if I can manufacture something from that same land I shouldn't have to pay extra property taxes.
So because you've circumvented a 3rd party building a home, you shouldn't have to pay for owning said home? I don't get how that doesn't make it a home.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So because you've circumvented a 3rd party building a home, you shouldn't have to pay for owning said home? I don't get how that doesn't make it a home.
If I dig a hole into the ground and sleep in it do I have to pay property tax? Probably not, same rule applies, if I cut trees down on my own land and manufacture a space then I shouldn't pay extra.

Ive actually thought of this before, I should just buy a plot of land and build an underground bunker.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Kind of true, allways coming after everyone and then spending 10 times what they get. Say you throw up a shed then they want more? Govt is becoming the problem. Everyones problem. Freedom & Liberty is becoming a lie.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003

Does your cabin look like this?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
This sounds like a sort of non-issue. Of course, the article doesn't go into enough detail for me to feel totally comfortable saying that.

In MD, we get assessed every three years. If something is built on the property to increase the value of the home, the taxes won't be affected until the next assessment. IF AK runs the same methodology, it sound like the home wasn't completed in time for the 2007 assessment, and therefore could rightly have been excluded. It sounds like the debate is when the cabins first became habitable.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I might be right.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Developing
:rolleyes:

Hard to pay taxes on property for which there is no formal assessment! Nonetheless, property taxes were paid in 2009... From The LA Times =>

Records show that cabins on Sarah Palin's Alaska properties weren't noted in tax assessments
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-palin-property-taxes,0,7699231.story
"There are no tax assessments for the two-story, house-sized cabins, a workshop and a sauna spotted Thursday in an aerial survey. Property taxes totaling $156.13 were paid on the land in 2009 — but that bill did not include anything for the structures because the local assessor didn't know about the new construction nearly 100 miles north of Anchorage...Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said it is not the responsibility of property owners to report structures that go up on their land. "It is the borough's job," he said in an e-mail. "The property taxes on this parcel are fully paid and have never been delinquent."

This sounds like a sort of non-issue.
Exactly and thank you...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I think she needs to produce the documentation individually to anyone who asks for repetitive scrutiny, otherwise she's Kenyan a cheat by default.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
So, its ok to make excuses for someone who from their position should've known better?

I dont think so.

Everyone, especially the ex-governor of the freakin' state, should know that building something requires assessment and taxes and permits and all that govt crap people seem hell bent to complain about.

Complain all you want, the law and code is there and just because you dont like it doesnt make you exempt from it. Chop down the trees, build something with it. But when someone notices there's new structures un-assessed and taxed, you will be paying for it.

I think the fact this was spotted from a damn airplane should prove how much the big bag govt knew this kind of stuff goes on in AK and how they go about enforcing it.

Sure, it sucks I have to get a damn $100 permit just to put up a 10x12 shed in my backyard, but its the LAW around here and I follow it because if I dont, the big bad city govt gunna charge me alot more for not telling them I built it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
:rolleyes:

Hard to pay taxes on property for which there is no formal assessment! Nonetheless, property taxes were paid in 2009... From The LA Times =>

Records show that cabins on Sarah Palin's Alaska properties weren't noted in tax assessments
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-palin-property-taxes,0,7699231.story
"There are no tax assessments for the two-story, house-sized cabins, a workshop and a sauna spotted Thursday in an aerial survey. Property taxes totaling $156.13 were paid on the land in 2009 — but that bill did not include anything for the structures because the local assessor didn't know about the new construction nearly 100 miles north of Anchorage...Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said it is not the responsibility of property owners to report structures that go up on their land. "It is the borough's job," he said in an e-mail. "The property taxes on this parcel are fully paid and have never been delinquent."

Exactly and thank you...
Under the law, she was required to inform them of any errors or omissions on her tax bill. She did not. By her lawyers own admission, construction began in 2006. Sounds like a mavericky move to me.