Sarah Palin Tax Cheat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh my. Tea Bagging and Tax Cheating.

Link

Developing

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess we'll see what happens. I'm sure she was just "too busy" to get around to it. ;)

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What? How is it not the property owner's responsibility to report building? Isn't that why you always have to jump through hoops to even build a ****ing shed?

What kind of lame excuse is that?*

*Of course, things may be a little different in Alaska for zoning and building permits, but you still certainly have to pay taxes on buildings you own!

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm confused. So is it: "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [period]" or is it "Sarah Palin Tax Cheat [question mark]"? Personally, I don't care, but some of the recent threads have caused great consternation amongst contributors for having alleged inflammatory or misleading thread titles.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

WOW!

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see a question mark there. Do you?

The developing was merely commentary on my part but you know that since it was outside the quotes tags.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I don't. Oh, wait; you were asking a sarcastic, rhetorical question. My apologies. I guess it is a period indeed. Thanks.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Do contributors have more sway than everybody else? Or do you mean the contributors of the thread?

10. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Can't even build a cabin out of your surrounding land without the government taking a piece anymore. its sad. You know, if I bought a piece of land up in CO and wanted to chop my own wood to build a house, the government can go **** themselves.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats property and a building, you can't cheat out ownership laws "because its just a cabin."

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anything I build with my own two hands should be exempt from property tax.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why?

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because I bought the land and anything on it, if I can manufacture something from that same land I shouldn't have to pay extra property taxes.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So because you've circumvented a 3rd party building a home, you shouldn't have to pay for owning said home? I don't get how that doesn't make it a home.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If I dig a hole into the ground and sleep in it do I have to pay property tax? Probably not, same rule applies, if I cut trees down on my own land and manufacture a space then I shouldn't pay extra.

Ive actually thought of this before, I should just buy a plot of land and build an underground bunker.

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Kind of true, allways coming after everyone and then spending 10 times what they get. Say you throw up a shed then they want more? Govt is becoming the problem. Everyones problem. Freedom & Liberty is becoming a lie.

20. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does your cabin look like this?

[​IMG]

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This sounds like a sort of non-issue. Of course, the article doesn't go into enough detail for me to feel totally comfortable saying that.

In MD, we get assessed every three years. If something is built on the property to increase the value of the home, the taxes won't be affected until the next assessment. IF AK runs the same methodology, it sound like the home wasn't completed in time for the 2007 assessment, and therefore could rightly have been excluded. It sounds like the debate is when the cabins first became habitable.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I might be right.

22. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

Hard to pay taxes on property for which there is no formal assessment! Nonetheless, property taxes were paid in 2009... From The LA Times =>

Records show that cabins on Sarah Palin's Alaska properties weren't noted in tax assessments
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-us-palin-property-taxes,0,7699231.story
    "There are no tax assessments for the two-story, house-sized cabins, a workshop and a sauna spotted Thursday in an aerial survey. Property taxes totaling $156.13 were paid on the land in 2009 — but that bill did not include anything for the structures because the local assessor didn't know about the new construction nearly 100 miles north of Anchorage...Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said it is not the responsibility of property owners to report structures that go up on their land. "It is the borough's job," he said in an e-mail. "The property taxes on this parcel are fully paid and have never been delinquent."

Exactly and thank you...

23. Queso macrumors G4

I think she needs to produce the documentation individually to anyone who asks for repetitive scrutiny, otherwise she's Kenyan a cheat by default.

24. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So, its ok to make excuses for someone who from their position should've known better?

I dont think so.

Everyone, especially the ex-governor of the freakin' state, should know that building something requires assessment and taxes and permits and all that govt crap people seem hell bent to complain about.

Complain all you want, the law and code is there and just because you dont like it doesnt make you exempt from it. Chop down the trees, build something with it. But when someone notices there's new structures un-assessed and taxed, you will be paying for it.

I think the fact this was spotted from a damn airplane should prove how much the big bag govt knew this kind of stuff goes on in AK and how they go about enforcing it.

Sure, it sucks I have to get a damn $100 permit just to put up a 10x12 shed in my backyard, but its the LAW around here and I follow it because if I dont, the big bad city govt gunna charge me alot more for not telling them I built it.

25. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Under the law, she was required to inform them of any errors or omissions on her tax bill. She did not. By her lawyers own admission, construction began in 2006. Sounds like a mavericky move to me.