Sarah Palin threatens to start third party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jul 1, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/308651-sarah-palin-floats-third-party-if-gop-abandons-us

If Michelle Bachmann joins Palin and Levin, would that be what they refer to as a "trifecta"?

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Just what we need, another party full of gun-totin', bible thumpin', oil burnin', tax hatin', war mongerin', and reality denyin' useful idiots.

4. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Good. Get the crazies out of the GOP and maybe... just maybe... we'll have a government that can function again.

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I thought they did that already. Called it... What was it... The "coffee party" or something?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know why this woman is taken seriously for anything she says. The sheeple will eat it up, send her money and she'll spend it on things she likes to rail against like private jet travel or consultants.

7. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Lets be honest with each other here - the chances of this happening is going to be nil. First, the notion that it will do anything is nil - Palin is not active in politics and makes a bigger name for herself by associated with Republicans and the fringe Tea party - but she needs the republicans or she isn't going to get any traction. Same with Bachman, she isn't going to attempt this while still in office and looking to move to the (I think the House of Reps). No way. Again, she works better with the Republicans. She switches parties she risks loosing a strong base she has to rely upon.

Second, third parties are very hard to deal with - you need enough members or else it will never get enough support or attention. Heck, the Tea Party has more attention and it isn't really a third party - it's just a bunch of Republicans. Palin knows that - and she is the last to care given that she isn't running for anything - she has very little influence in things.

Finally, Palin is just talking hot air here - she is known for making big talk about things that never turn out. She isn't going to do anything, she is just grandstanding here.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The GOP has not abandoned fanatics like Palin. They have abandoned the GOP.

The tea party is merely the latest iteration of splinter extremist groups like the John Birch Society...except that in this day and age, with the support of Fox News and hate radio (Rush, Beck, etc.), even extremists can garner a sizable following.

And the coffee party is pretty much the opposite of Palin's nut farm. By the coffee party's own definition, they're a very centrist group. Where the tea party's message is "F.U.", the coffee party's is "kumbaya".

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I agree 100%, Im a republican for my fiscal conservative views, but for the last 13 years, I have not been a proud republican :[ I just dont understand why "conservative" has associated itself with bible-loving, close minded people

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

[/COLOR]
    Hey, if it keeps them out of trouble...

----------

They needed the votes?

12. MegamanX macrumors regular

I want her to do that for no other reason than to end gop bat **** crazy as that group would go to the new party.

13. Zaid macrumors 6502

Wow, is this really how they see themselves? Interesting redefinition of the term libertarian. And some real 're-authoring' of history if she's associating with Lincoln.

14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Gun-totin - yeah that is called 2nd amendment. Plenty of people on both sides of the isle respect that.

Bible Thumping - Freedom of religion? I think that is still part of the first amendment right?

Oil Burning - Until they create an pickup truck that runs on electric that has a few hundred mile range that can pull my 26ft boat i might get one. Until then I have no problem burning 10mpg to pull my boat out to the intercostal this weekend.

Tax hatin' - More like tax restructuring. Current tax system is a big bowl of spaghetti. Everyone should hate it.

reality denyin' useful idiots - your losing me now.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

She can start a thousand differ parties, but she's still gonna walk like a duck, talk like a duck .................... you get the point.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

'Merica.

----------

Of course, just keep that trash out of my face and stop trying to shove it down our throats. Which is what the conservatives are constantly trying to do.

17. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I've got mixed feelings. The fun of watching the further implosion of the hypocritical conservative movement* versus the unhealthy aspect of enduring more hatred being introduced into U.S. politics.

*Not implying that all conservatives are hypocrites, just their current leadership.

18. MegamanX macrumors regular

not even going to touch this one as it is pretty clear that some are so closed minded that it is not worth it. Should you be able to own a rocket launcher? that would fall under that.

Problem is they are doing the bible thumping to shove their belief down on us and not respecting others religious freedoms.
    and what about the times when you just need to run the the grocery store. It is one thing to get that 10 mpg towing and using it as a truck compared to the other 95%+ of the time when it is just getting you from point A to point B.

Tax hatin' - More like tax restructuring. Current tax system is a big bowl of spaghetti. Everyone should hate it.
    yes we know that is the GOP party right now.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I know, I know. It was a good fantasy while it lasted. If only it would actually happen.

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Republicans would never let this happen.

Quite simply, if this were to gain traction, it would split the GOP vote and hand numerous victories to Democrats all across the country - especially in red states.

There is no way any current member would give up the money and benefits that comes from being a Republican to join this fringe party led by someone whom even hard-core GOPers know is no longer relevant.

Still - it's a nice fantasy.

21. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Nice spin on the talking points. Get your "facts" from Faux Noise?

----------

I don't know, I feel like the more these types of crazies come out, a few more people wake up while dividing their own followers. I like to see the silver lining here.

22. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not "Civilized" enough.

23. TedM macrumors 6502

Exactly what this country needs, just not created by her. Anything Palin Touches is instantly soiled.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Perhaps make faces like a duck?

[​IMG]

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Anchorage, ALASKA - Funded by bored political reporters with a extra per diem money and comedy writers looking for an easy target, the New Bull Moose Party offered former Alaskan governor and Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin for the 2016 presidential race.