Sarah Palin: US Waging War on Russia May Be Necessary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Sep 11, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I hate to create yet another Palin thread, but this is just oh so neo-con I don't know what to say.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5778018&page=1

Why is it that republicans always jump straight into saber rattling and beating the drums of war before trying diplomacy? I learned in kindergarten to use words instead of fighting.

edit: and might i add, with what money and what troops does she plan to attack russia with?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

"Perhaps" doesn't mean "Let's bomb the hell out of Russia!" I see no problem with leaving the option on the table. In fact, I see a problem with taking the option off the table.

3. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I grew up with the threat of a full blown nuclear war with the USSR I really don't want to spend another huge chuck of my life with that... Thanks but no thanks mr McCain and Mrs Palin

And what a weak lying answer to the question about the war in Iraq as a "task from god" she didn't mean it as a quote from Lincoln.

Have to say, he didn't look impressed with her.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

She is a scam, she just utters the words from speech writers without the slight intention of understanding it.

President Palin?......... Can you imagine that? Since John McCain clearly understand US average life span is 75.

Goto war with Russia? no option off the table? for Georgia? Your "no options off the table" might be a nice threat against other country, but mind you, Russia has 4000 Nuke warhead and they aren't taking anything off the tale neither.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh god, please, you haven't even finished in the middle east yet, one war at a time atleast.

I'd actually like to see how USA vs Russia turns out, Russia is far far bigger than the US and as such would probably be a near impossible country to successfully invade and take over...

Plus russia is damn 'ard too. :p

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Why the hell would we want to go to war with Russia? over what? Georgia? Osetia? and that is worth American blood and money for what exactly? :mad:

7. Queso macrumors G4

The more I read about her history and her views the more I dislike her. She's a piece of work, that's for sure.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

By no means do I encourage a war with Russia. But if they start pulling more and more of stunts like this, especially against American allies, it may become necessary. Backing down and showing indifference only works until they show up at your doorstep. The world doesn't work in the happy-go-lucky way that we might want it to. All options should always be on the table in any situation.

9. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

She probably thinks that she's aiding Teh Rapture™ cause.

[​IMG]

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Which is a great reason not to add countries to NATO without really giving the American people the understanding that it could drag us to war in an area of the world that is already unstable.

If Russia invaded Germany, I can see everybody for it. But Georgia? We want to risk being a target for nukes over a tiny fake-democracy with a nut job as president??!

11. Queso macrumors G4

At this point it's probably good to mention that Georgia started the war by attacking South Ossetia, according to a plan devised months before. Russia responded to that attack.

As far as I'm concerned Georgia cannot be trusted to join NATO. If we let unstable countries led by demagogues with a veneer of democracy into the alliance it will pull us all into war before long.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh god that's hilarious, my aunt always belived Bush would bring on the apocalypse, looks like it'll be Palins job, and we all thought the Large Hadron Collider would kill us all :rolleyes:

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There are Russian long range bombers in Venezuela at the moment, which for some bizarre reason the US government considers their doorstep,does this mean the US is going to war with Russia? Obversely there are US naval vessels in the Black sea should Russia go to war over that?

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If that cannon goes off, it will surely bring on the rupture.

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

I completely agree. But if we would have just sat still and not have reacted to the Georgia invasion, who's to say that they wouldn't have moved on to some other eastern European state? If there's no response to diplomatic and economic pressure and they keep doing that sort of thing to other states, there's not much other place to go. I personally didn't interpret her comment as being about waging war with Russia over the Georgia issue, but to be expressing the possibility of taking further action if similar situations involving Russia occur elsewhere

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

But you realize that Russia reacted to Georgia moving in to what Russia considered "allies" right? so it wasn't even how we moved into Iraq. More like how we beat the crap out of Serbia for Kosovo.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Essentially the US did just sit still and do nothing,fortunately their are people in Washington with some grip on reality.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Firstly, stunts like what? Secondly, by that rationale do you support people starting war with the USA over the **** they've pulled in Iraq and Afghanistan?

The USA is the most dangerous country in the world, why people in America can't see this is beyond me. Well, it's not beyond me, but it is annoying.

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

We have good media, and unfortunately it is hard for us to accept that we make mistakes.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, I'm aware of that. I know how the timeline folded out hence the reason that I don't think that we need a huge reaction to this.

I was referring to the government.

How is that really relevant? They invaded a country considered an American ally. For whatever reasons they had to do that, America is also entitled to an opinion.

Back to the point... I have no problem with Palin wanting to leave all options on the table...

21. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This has to be a setup.... :eek:

A war with russia should be the last country we ever fight. I would rather us fight Great Britian than Russian, even though they're our friends.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

So was I.:confused:

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I find this just as frightening:

"You can't blink." Omigod, she would be another Bush, somebody who works totally from internal beliefs rather than external realities, and who shuts herself off to contrary opinions and advice.

I think you can counter this best with Hillary Clinton. I know, you'd normally wait until you win the election before announcing names of who you'd like to have in your cabinet, but it couldn't hurt for Obama to talk to her about possible positions in his administration and agree on one that's right for her. (I could see her as AG or Sec. of HEW or Defense.) That may get back a lot of the women who abandoned Obama.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I have yet to see any evidence that "a lot" of women have abandoned Obama for Palin. What are you basing that on?

25. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Ah, it's OK for the USA to do it... just not anyone else.

Well, Russia recognises South Ossetia and Abkhazia's independence and they went in to save the lives of their citizens. Slightly different.

Even talk, any talk, of a war with Russia is horrific foreign policy. Although, as she lives somewhere that 'has a border with Russia', I'm sure she already knows that.