Sarah Palin Uses PAC to Buy Her Own Book

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fresh off her quitting her job as Governor of Alaska and the exploitation of her children and grandchild, now we learn that SarahPAC has spent tens of thousands of dollars buying copies of Going Rogue.

Link1

Link2

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If this is the case and it's deemed as misappropriation then could Harper Collins take a hit for this as well?

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Shes not even a candidate for president. Also how much is her book? That can't be very many. Even at 18 bucks thats only 3500 books.

6. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

:rolleyes:

Nice try... come back when you have a real story... Since each book retails for approx. $13.50 (Amazon) this amounts to less than 4700 books to mail copies of the memoir to her new donors; because Palin is neither a candidate for office, nor a sitting member of congress, her PAC is free to purchase the book (expenditure of $63,000) under current law (according to Jan Baran, a campaign legal expert)*. Wow... the big news here is that Palin’s PAC had at least 4700 donors in the fourth quarter who gave enough money to warrant the incentive gift!

More detail at Palin buys books to incentivize donors
    *"Joe Lieberman did the same thing in 2004, when he ran for Vice President on John Kerry’s ticket. He didn’t take royalties off of those sales, but ABC also acknowledges that they don’t know if Palin did, either. And since she’s a private citizen, it really doesn’t matter if she did or didn’t...".

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I feel dirty, but I did some digging. According to this post, you had to donate at least $100 to get a copy of the book (it is signed!). Figuring that they got a bulk deal for about $10/book, she picked up 6300 books and her 90% net-over-book yielded at least $567,000. Not a bad pickup.

What I'm curious to know is if these books count towards actual sales figures. That they are donation gifts, I would prefer that they not be used to artificially inflate those numbers.

As for Jan Baran, a quick search suggests that he falls under the social conservative wing of the party, as he was RNC general counsel during the Bush41 years and now defends Palin. While I am certainly not an expert in the field, I would feel more comfortable on that statement if it had come from someone without ties to the GOP. As presented in his Wiley Rein bio, the only election law voice that would be more disconcerting would be Bopp.

8. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Her take was probably higher than that. The damn book was selling for $10 at retail.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Congratulations, you just lost any credibility you had left. Joe Lieberman didn't run for VP in 2004, nor did he run on John Kerry's ticket.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Wow.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

John Edwards was the VP nominee on Kerry's ticket :p

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I figured that was a typo in his post, but nope - it is straight from the source (of course, it is called "hot air").

It would be nice if either party could pick a VP candidate that wasn't a pompous <fill in word>. Gore, Cheney, Lieberman, Edwards, Biden, Palin. Last good selection I can think of is Kemp in 1996.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see that quote is from hotair.com, which is equivalent to quoting something from dailykos.com. Anyway I'm pretty sure John Edwards was the VP nominee on the Kerry ticket.

EDIT: lol, in the minute it took me to write this post, we got 3 other members jumping on this.

14. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Negative points for completely ignoring the point I was trying to make specific to Palin (and focusing instead on the quote and where it was cited)...yeah it was John Edwards as the VP... ... back to the point =>

In the event you care to focus on reality: Palin sold 1,937,000 copies of her book when you exclude the ones bought by her PAC. Is there a story here on 4700 copies liberals are trying to fault her on?

Let me know...

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I can't point to you doing the same thing, but I would expect you to make a point of addressing the source had a Palin attack come from huffpost/dailykos/etc. When a source is clearly biased, any position that it takes in support of its own must be taken with a grain of salt. Additionally, basic factual errors, which can be verified in an instant by looking at the first hit in a "kerry running mate" Google search, undermine credibility to support other more important facts (such as Palin's royalty status).

So that is .24% of total sales. That doesn't seem like much. But, when we look at political ethics, .24>0. I am willing to concede this much - if she derived no financial benefit, those sales will not be credited towards total sales, and she can clearly demonstrate that she will obtain no benefit from the purchase of the book beyond the contributions that she received in exchange for the "gift," I'll let this go as overblown. If she obtains some greater standing for the book in some way as a result of this (even if it is just considered in meeting any sales goals required under her $1.25m advance), it was wrong and she needs to fix it.

16. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So let me get this straight. You would immediately toss out a citation from me or one of the other "liberals" on this board if it came from DailyKos, HuffPo, MediaMatters, or even MSNBC, even if everything in it was factually correct. Yet, you post a citation from a right wing site that makes a blatant, obvious factual error that they would've never made if they took 10 seconds out of their day to do a Google search, and you're wondering why I immediately dismissed your link?

You're a hypocrite.

Edit: And before you deny ever dismissing a citation just because it's a liberal source, here is you outright dismissing a MediaMatters link even though the content contained on their page is factually correct and backed up with video.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't care. Really I don't.

If she was a candidate then there would be an ethics problem, seeing as she isn't, who gives a ****?

Like she's the first politician (actually, ex politician) to have their groups move more of their books.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

When you spend $63000 for copies of a book, do you seriously think you would be paying retail?

20. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

You missed the point... it is not the citation I am objecting to, whether it came from DailyKook or HuffPooh... what I am objecting to is why don't you address the 1,937,000 copies of her book she has sold rather than 4700 copies she chose to send to her new donors? Said another way, why would this issue warrant yet another "Hate Palin" thread?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yet you don't cry out against another "Bowing Obama" thread..... interesting.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

depends....having the PAC pay full price would be to your personal benefit if you were also the author since it would mean the publisher would be paying more royalty payments into your personal account ;)

23. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Again, do you have a link to her book's sales figures?

Oh my. Seems her popularity in Alaska is dropping again.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

first of all, EVERYBODY likes to talk about Palin, it's just your misfortune to be an admirer of somebody that a lot of people find appalling.

secondly, why is another "hate palin" thread any different than another of your "hate obama" threads?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because clearly his are rooted in reality and important pressing issues, right? ;)