Sarah Palin wants to clean up journalism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There really should be a poll with this topic: upon reading the thread title, did you (a) roll in hysterics, or (b) recoil in horror?

The woman's serious, though. Here's the story:

You have to wonder how much longer Palin is going to hold a grudge against Couric for...well, essentially for Palin's inability to answer a question. That obviously was all Couric's fault. :rolleyes:

But more to the point, you have to wonder what this paragon of reason thinks qualifies her to teach anybody else how to be a journalist. One can certainly argue that the world of journalism does need to return to its roots (i.e., news, instead of entertainment), but the idea of Palin "cleaning up" journalism has a creepy Ministry of Truth feeling to it.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Lamestream" media is so far beyond her capabilities, she must have a coterie of "advisors" around her, 24 - 7.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Between her books, 8 week political ad on TLC, regular FOX appearances and her daughter on that dancing farce, this bitch is everywhere.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...by outfits like Fox? Facts? Come on, she's kidding, isn't she?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That is terrifying. She does not get to decide what the media reports or how they do it. A cornerstone of our very freedom is non-governmental interference with our press. She obviously does not believe in freedom of the press, nor does she believe in what the USA is supposed to stand for. This woman is a maniac.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The US Press Corps on the whole does a pretty good job of forgetting what the USA is supposed to stand for. There are obviously just a few obstinate holdouts she is after.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's a sad state of affairs when the people that are supposed to be the Public's one real advocate, the free press, participates in taking this country out at the knees. :(

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I understand that. But if we are to keep what little honest journalism we have left, this woman needs to go.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sure. I was merely translating for her. Think of it as a sort of Babelfish service.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe time to add 'palin' to the profanity filter.

On topic though, Sarah Palin doesn't want to clean up journalism. She wants to give the impression of cleaning up journalism. In other words, it's time to bash the libroolmedia as she works her way through a series of buzzword checkboxes to tick off the closer we get to the Iowa caucuses and the spring debates.

The old saw of running to the right to capture the base and then moving to the centre in a national election still stands true and in her case, she's doing a fantastic job of sucking all the oxygen out of the room in order to shore up support and control the conversation, feeding red meat to her followers along the way.

So, nothing to do with journalism at all. Next week, it'll be something else, but the story remains the same.

11. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Of course she does, which is why she's a news contributor and actively pursuing political goals at the same time. Fair and balanced - I mean, Fox employs all the GoP Prez. hopefuls the same amount.

She does want to clean the media up, all right. Just wipe away those things like objectivity, giving an equal voice to the opposition, verifiable fact checking, peer review, and non partisanship, and you have nice clean channel directly to your followers.

*Obligatory "dems do it too!"/"media is liberally slanted!" in 3, 2, . . .*

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right to the heart of the matter. I'm glad she was able to remember the 5 W's, but if she wants to 'clean up' journalism she should start by evaluating why political operators are paid contributors at news agencies.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

She needs to study harder.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, she was actually a Communications major with an emphasis on journalism.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the eyes of the right, the only good media are those which accept right wing views without hesitation or question. That's Fox, Limbaugh, Salem, Clear Channel, et al.

The legitimate media that do question them or that reflect the real world, are "obviously" biased.

I really think that in the desolate void of Sarah Palin's mind, she's already planning on how she'll marginalize and defang the legitimate media after she runs for and gains the presidency.

Now, we may laugh at the idea that she'll ever get anywhere near the White House (except on tour). But is this giving ideas to other Republican candidates? Is someone going to try to take it to the next level, i.e., excluding the legitimate media and speaking only through Fox?

As someone with a degree in Communications including journalism, I can tell you that she didn't learn a damn thing.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

After she gets done cleaning, maybe she can make me a sandwich.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Unfortunately, most of the cable media has already done that—or purrs in her lap.

Well, I think that's already happening to a point. Politicians are using social media like Facebook to end-run around journalists hoping that by connecting to the public directly they won't face the same scrutiny they face from journalists.

I wouldn't blame Idaho, some people are unteachable.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow.

(Assuming you were trying to play the sexism card) Yes, she has never done anything to warrant the criticisms she faces. It's just plain old sexism that drives such things. :rolleyes:

20. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As much as I like that particular skit immensely, there are no redwoods in BC, except for those in peoples gardens and on the front lawn of the Parliament Buildings. It's mostly fir, cedar and hemlock. Sarah Palin would know that.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL I think you've mistaken me for someone who cares what Palin says or does.

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

The other media has to be biased to cope with a right-wing media that lies and distorts truth without any concience.

Personally, I don't think media should have the right to lie straight to the people's faces.

24. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, if you're talking about MSNBC's stable of night time commentators, I guess I'd agree.

But I don't see the other networks -- ABC, CBS, CNN and NBC -- leaning the opposite direction. Too often they allow the Republican Noise Machine to dictate what they'll cover and how.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Let's get rid of the "liberal media"...
    Let's get rid of "big government"...
    Let's get rid of social projects...

Can anyone say Oligarchy?