Sarah Palin's new book is already on clearance. But wait, there's more....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]
    The article does suggest that Amazon may be low-balling the price to gain market share. But frankly I doubt that's all there is to it. I haven't heard of them doing it with any other book, and they don't need to do it. They already dominate bookselling.

Mayhaps it has more to do with the fact that they book's position on the best-seller list is artificially inflated, and they want to carry it, but not get stuck with half a million copies they can't sell.

Oh, that's right...I did say there's more, didn't I?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This has been your morning chuckle. We now return you to your regular mix of conservative propaganda.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would be inclined to read both. As fascinated as I am with both her critics and her, I think it'd be interesting to just read them. However, I would not allow Amazon's pricing to be the indication that a book is on clearance. I get books cheap there frequently that are still $15-$25 at brick and mortar stores. Now, if you show me a picture of this book on clearance at say Barnes and Noble then I would consider it to be a true "clearance" item.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The only potentially interesting thing in this book is how much she's prepared to publicly launch into her critics within the Republican Party, setting herself against those who briefed against her in the dying days of last year's presidential campaign. I mean, if you're going to 'go rogue', then do it properly. I'm not sure what much else to expect from a book that's been ghost-written except an airbrushed hagiography.

I guess also that this book and her upcoming Oprah chat will mark a point at which she more clearly lays out her cards for her future political career, if she has one.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

*Supposedly* she got $7 million in advance for the book and also signed up for a lecture circuit that'll charge $100,000 per speech. Kind of explains why she quit during her elected term. Cash in while you can.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The issue about the book being on clearance is moot. Dan Brown's new book, The Solomon Key, was 40% off the day it was released (at least at Border's). Almost every book is on clearance on it's release day.

Don

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And in the UK Harry Potter was 50% off on release day so was Terry Prachett's new bookUnseen Academicals and I'm sure big discounts could be had on Dan Brown's new book too.

At least in the UK T, FIFY. They use bestsellers to get you in to buy other things.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

this isn't on clearence, the big retailers have been trying to beat each other for a while now. Its on the best sellers list for god sake.

That being said I bet its a pile of garbage which she didn't even write herself.

9. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

as much as I LOVE to hate her, I wont buy this book or support her monetarily in any way

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah, that's why we hadn't seen such huge discounts until now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd still like to see what Palin's spot on the best seller would be if they subtracted all the bulk-buy sales to conservative organizations. I'd like to see that for any book...you know, what the sales are to just ordinary people who are actually motivated to buy the thing, rather than those receiving a free copy from the RNC or whoever. But I doubt the publishing industry releases such statistics.

Now "Going Rouge"...I might actually buy that one.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No, they won't because they all depend on bestseller lists for marketing a particular title. It's about as meaningful as the BCS.

Also, I'd expect to see inflated reserve requirements coming from the large bookstore chains who are both determined to use reserve lists as a means to get customers in the door for other more lucrative items.
    Essentially, bookstores are using titles like Dan Brown's latest twaddle or these ghost-written hagiographies as movie theater do for Transformers: it's a way to sell popcorn.

The book will sell, but it will also be forgotten in a year.