Sarah Palin's talk show is ratings flop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Apr 5, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Palin’s talk show debut garners weak reviews, lower-than-expected ratings.
    http://thinkprogress.org/2010/04/04/palin-weak-ratings/
    Greta Van Susteren’s On The Record which normally airs at 10pmET beat the program the previous three nights in the A25-54 demographic and two out of three nights in total viewers. Moreover, the show “shed viewers from start to finish,” losing 18 percent of viewers over the course of the program.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I can't imagine she hosting a talk show being a good idea. What is it with former governors hosting talk shows?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This was no talk show. They took a bunch of previously recorded interviews and she did voice overs. Even FOX knows she's a no talent quitter. :D

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Liberals are secretly attracted to Palin... yg17 as case in point!

Ratings for Sarah Palin Debut on Fox News
    By Chris Ariens on Apr 02, 2010 07:18 PM
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fnc/ratings_for_sarah_palin_debut_on_fox_news_157259.asp
    While coming in first in its time period -- beating the Total Viewer average of the 10pm programs on MSNBC, CNN and HLN combined -- FNC's "Real American Stories with Sarah Palin" was down substantially versus the performance of "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren" last Thursday...

How Sarah Palin Became a Brand
    By DAVID CARR
    Published: April 4, 2010
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/business/media/05carr.html
    "She was paid a $1.25 million retainer by HarperCollins. Her book, “Going Rogue,” has sold 2.2 million copies, according to its publisher, and she has another tentatively scheduled for this fall. She now has an actual television career, including appearances as a pundit on Fox News, her gig as the host of “Real American Stories” four times a year, and a coming eight-part series on TLC called “Sarah Palin’s Alaska,” which will cost, according to some media reports, $1 million an episode (a lot more than governors make for “Come visit!” P.S.A.’s)... Ms. Palin turned on a dime and was a ratings sensation from the word go: her first paid appearance, as a commentator on “The O’Reilly Factor” on Jan. 12, was good for an extra million viewers. Her appeal doesn’t stop at the red states. When Ms. Palin stopped by to chat with Oprah Winfrey — not exactly friendly territory — the show achieved its biggest ratings in two years.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it was a mess. I guess I was wrong about the train wreck thing. Maybe everyone doesn't like a train wreck.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The fact that Discovery chose to put her on their freak network, TLC speaks volumes. She will join reality shows about midgets, midget chocolatiers, clown car vagina lady and Kate Gosselin. :D

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Haha, good point. She's just another freak show for TLC. She doesn't deserve to share the same network with The Mythbusters.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

... yet she still got better ratings that olbermann and maddow. lol

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This liberal hopes that she stays the darling of the right for a long, long time.

Sarah Palin is the best thing to happen for liberals since Spiro Agnew.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, she is. I hope she's around til the next election for sure. She's the gift that keeps on giving.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

As we all know ratings equals, you know, clarity and honesty...maybe even equals integrity!

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Last time I checked, it was the OP, not obeygiant, that made the subject matter one of the importance of ratings. I must have overlooked your like scorn for the thread title.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't want to point out the obvious, but yesterday was Easter, I think most of the right wingers are doing church stuff or whatever christians do.

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It aired on Friday.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How ridiculous. You are attracted to her. When most "left-leaning" people hear that nightmare voice, they go spend an hour on the table saw ripping eight-foot four-by-fours just to listen to a more pleasant sound.

And yes, I can imagine how some men would find her vacant gaze appealing, that is a matter of personal taste.

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Do you know how many political, apolitical and all around ridiculous topics get started based SOLELY on polls, ratings numbers or other statistical BS!?

Alot.

A whole lot.

And then end up with the same handful of people complaining how the others don't read the facts or whatever.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most of the religious people I know were in church friday night too.. some people went three times this week...

18. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Those are a bunch of neat sentences (and a great rhetorical question), and you know what, I agree with you. But what do they have to do with what I said?

Edit: Perhaps I am misreading your posts. I inferred you were attacking obeygiant's comment. Perhaps you were attacking the OP. If it was the OP, my apologies. If it was obeygiant, I remain confused.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If you take a few minutes and look at threads in which Fox News comes up, you will find a common theme.

Someone refers to Fox News as a source
    Someone says Fox News is biased.
    Someone always points out that Fox News has high ratings.
    (edit) Or compares Fox News ratings to MSNBC to demonstrate that it is better.

I think the point the OP was trying to make is that if Fox News is to be believed due to its high ratings, maybe Ms. Palin's ratings must mean something. Or, on the other hand, perhaps, Ms. Palin's appeal is to a different audience than that of Fox News.

Yes, the OP brought it up, and it could mean many things, but like I said, it is probably a response to the number of references to Fox News' ratings in these threads.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Especially Catholics, in Ireland Good Friday was the big day.

21. macfan881 macrumors 68020

having to listen to Palin for 30 mins would drive me off the wall heck i get a headache when i hear her for 1 min.

22. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Palin's show was on Thursday night, April Fools.

Link

I didn't watch it, but it sounds like it was poorly produced. That, and there wasn't enough anti-government, anti-Obama rhetoric for Fox viewers.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How about that?

And Olbermann and Maddow interview several people live, every weeknight, while Palin's "interviews" consist of introducing repurposed pre-recorded clips.

Yeah, that's a direct comparison. :rolleyes:

24. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Gee Thomas... that must be why Palin's show beat the Total Viewer average of the 10pm programs on MSNBC, CNN and HLN combined! By the way, please explain "repurposed" to us, in the context you used above, and how it is relevant? Pre-recorded interviews are conducted all the time. Did you watch the Palin show and who she interviewed? You have any idea how impossible it would have been to interview all those individuals sequentially and live? And you're comparing those two idiotic MSNBC stooges as examples here?

Ratings for Sarah Palin Debut on Fox News
    By Chris Ariens on Apr 02, 2010 07:18 PM
    http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...ews_157259.asp
    While coming in first in its time period -- beating the Total Viewer average of the 10pm programs on MSNBC, CNN and HLN combined -- FNC's "Real American Stories with Sarah Palin" was down substantially versus the performance of "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren" last Thursday...

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, so much for giving ItN a break. :D

You are kidding, right? After the LL Cool J/Toby Keith fiasco? Tell me when that's ever happened to "those two idiotic MSNBC stooges"?

I see you still have this fetish for ratings. Okay, I'll play that game.

Numbers for McDonald's
    By Ronald McD on Apr 02, 2010 07:18 PM
    http://www.mcdonalds.com/billionsserved
    McDonald's came in first once again -- beating by far the total weekly clientele of The Four Seasons, Le Cirque, The Rainbow Room and Sardi's combined. thereby once again proving the superior quality of McDonald's food.

Incidentally, I wouldn't go around calling other networks' people "stooges" when Fox's 5 pm guy behaves and even looks a little bit like Curly Howard.

Herein.