Sarah pallin "refutes" ground Zero Mosque

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macfan881, Jul 19, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

refute - to deny the truth or accuracy of
    repudiate - to refuse to have anything to do with

refudiate?

I guess that could work...

Also I think having a Mosque at ground zero is a bad idea.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The mosque is NOT at ground zero, its nearby.

It will be a massive community center with a mosque in it.

I don't understand the "controversy" on this one. I do understand that many American's stupidly think that all Muslims are terrorists and hate America. :rolleyes:

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Perhaps you should. It might help you with your spelling.:p

Agreed, it is a horrible idea.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, so why don't we go and put up churches near where Christian extremists have bombed abortion clinics.:rolleyes:

Islamic extremists killed over 3,000 people near where that mosque will be built. It is insulting to those who have lost family members there.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I thought America stood for freedom and opportunity. Guess that only means where it won't upset the small minded and willfully ignorant. EXTREMISM caused 9/11, not the muslim faith.

There is no bigger sign to the world that America is the place acceptance than to allow others their religious freedom.

Also, its a ****ing community center with a mosque on one of the floors. I know the media doesn't give a **** about the truth of the story, but can we at least not fall for that **** here?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No one is saying it doesn't. I guess because I can't put up a liquor store or an adult bookstore next to an elementary school, I'm being denied my freedom and opportunity as well. Right?

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There were a number of Muslim victims of the attack.(and I'm not referring to those who carried it out)

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think the liquor thing would fall under the "drug free" zones that are around schools. As for the bookstore, why the hell not? Again, I thought we had freedoms here, one of which is not the freedom from being offended.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm sure there were some Muslim victims of the attack. However, that still doesn't mean a mosque should be there.

Just out of curiosity, do you have the number of Muslims killed?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the reasoning as to why it shouldn't be built, on the land owned by the land owners with these plans, is that people died nearby?

Are you going to rally against a new library in NYC too, after all, people died.

Seriously, I'm sick of the media's spin on this story. Most of the building is meant to be a community center, something the area desperately needs. One of the floors will be a mosque. Guess which story was picked up on? :rolleyes:

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree, that we don't have the freedom from being offended. However, there are a myriad of zoning laws that restrict the types of buildings that be put certain places, how high they are, etc. They certainly restrict freedoms. All of our freedoms are not absolute. There are restrictions on speech, the ability to bear arms, assembly, etc. I think in this case zoning laws should be used to keep out this mosque.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Like rubbing salt into the wound.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Partial list:

http://islam.about.com/blvictims.htm

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I don't know. Why don't 'we'?

Next thing you know they'll go building Catholic schools for boys :rolleyes:

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I'm not against building the community center at all. The mosque should not be part of it.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why not? It would go a long way toward healing some very deep wounds. Look at the big picture.

18. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

If somebody complained about a proposal to build a church near the site of a bombed abortion clinic on the basis that it is insulting to victims of "Christian violence," how seriously would you take that complaint?

Only if one does not draw any distinction between extremist Muslims and the overwhelming majority who are peaceful. Rejecting an attempt by those peaceful people to publicly distinguish themselves from the 19 animals who committed the atrocity is one of those ridiculously frustrating recursive tragedies.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Like what? What laws have a provision based on making sure people's feelings aren't hurt? I wasn't aware we had retarded laws like that.

Guys, its been almost a decade. Can we please show the world we are big boys enough to move on and still embrace the values of equality we were supposed to stand for.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Or an invading army will build a embassy the size of Vatican city in the capital of the invaded country.Seems a tad like rubbing salt into the wound to me.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is this opinion based upon? What is wrong with a mosque?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very seriously. I wouldn't want that to be built either.

By no stretch of the imagination am I saying that all Muslims are plotting to do what the 19 terrorists did on 9/11 or what other terrorists have done elsewhere. There are other ways for peaceful Muslims to distinguish themselves from the extremists.

There is nothing wrong with a mosque. It just should not be located next to were 3,000 people were killed by Islamic extremists. Build it someplace else.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It would be like building a Christian Church near Centennial Olympic Park in downtown Atlanta.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Other ways? This mosque had NOTHING to do with 9/11 until the media picked up on it.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This would be a good way to start the process of forgiveness.

If there's nothing wrong with a mosque, then there's nothing wrong with a mosque in that location either.

Should we also make a law that no churches can be built near gay bars because Christians oppress gay people? Do you see how ridiculous this kind of thinking is?