Sarah Sanders Should Resign. She lied about Comey's Firing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 18, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Of course she lied, it's par for the course with this admin.

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Birds of a feather flock together. Branded as a liar or not, Sarah Sanders so far remains shielded if not celebrated and egged on by a master of the same dark art.

In the past on these boards there were occasions on which I defended Sanders as operating within bounds of reporting honestly based on what she was aware of. As it turns out, that was or at any rate became an incorrect assumption on my part.

To me Sarah Sanders has become an example of how corruption can overtake a person with good intentions. Such examples are myriad in this administration, even setting aside the Trump loyalists --some of them notorious enough to have had to resign-- whose intentions seemed to me even initially to have been based in other, personal agendas. That much I don't attribute to Sanders. She's politically conservative and I think she meant to serve a Republican administration honorably. But this is not an honorable administration, nor traditionally conservative for that matter. She's been forced to choose between dissembling (or outright lying) and resigning far too many times, and I've long thought she should resign for the sake of her personal integrity. Loyalty to an incessant liar can never end well.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

LOVED the way she handled the MSM............. but she is as fake as they are so can't defend that.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Trump supporters don't care, he could rob a bank on camera and they would still defend the guy. However, if you're appealing to the better nature of those who aren't rabid supporters, most would agree.

6. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

If we fired everyone in DC or major politics, we would be voting and or hiring new people continuously throughout history.

People barely show up to vote every couple years.

There isn't even a real fix for anything, definitely not one I will likely see in my time period.

Either way, continue sarcasm and rants.

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Best "let's never hold them accountable for anything because they're all dirty" post yet.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Don't forget our right leaning poster's favorite source, which covers in detail those lies & more.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/18/18485512/mueller-report-trump-lies-sarah-sanders
    Oh and so no one feels like 'the Huckster' is being picked on, 'Spicey' didn't fare much better either.

9. Solver macrumors 6502a

Can you imagine a world where politicians get fired from politics for lying?
    It would be a world without politicians.
    Hmmm.

10. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Say what you may, but me on a computer forum isn't holding them accountable in the least so that means I need someone else that can and will.
    So try not to read into what I did not say or change my wording to continue the debate.
    My views are mine and yours are yours, have a good day sir or madam or both.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

THE day you guys start holding YOUR side accountable is perhaps the day you can point to the other and say they are the bad guys.......

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Yeah, that will happen. "If you guys hold your guys accountable first, I promise we'll do it too! Evangelical pinky swear!"

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

hey, it's the same as the liberal pinky swear ":D

14. cube macrumors P6

15. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

But it always comes down to "But Trump lies more"

16. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Glad we agree that Trump is pathological.

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I suppose when you can make a case like this, yeah that would be a fair claim.

18. LizKat, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

No, it would just be a world much like the one we live in right now, since pols do get caught out on their lies and may have to exit politics for it even if they later manage a comeback. The politician (or judge, or president) who forgets that or who imagines that's not the case is who's daydreaming while standing on thin ice. We still do live in a country under rule of law, no matter that our Constitutional protections sometimes allow scofflaws including flat liars about bad behavior to skate.

The ones who lie as a matter of course in front of the public are not exempt from paying a price at the polls these days either, when telling a lie risks being recorded on the smartphones of even ordinary citizens. "Getting fired from politics" includes getting fired by the voters.

Some pols who are caught out by their lies end up in prison, some are indicted and not convicted, some escape prosecution on technicalities or under grace of our Constitution's protections against self incrimination, etc. But, in my state alone over 30 pols in the state legislature have stepped down over ethics violations in the past couple decades. They lied until the lies didn't work any more.

Some pols or judges face impeachment and step down. Nixon comes first to mind for me there. All for lies over a bungled, politically motivated, penny ante break-in to a campaign headquarters. What a price tag. Associate Justice Abe Fortas resigned from our highest court over ethics scandals that lies could not conceal forever. Another heavy price.

Some pols are impeached but are not removed, notably former President Bill Clinton, who may have skated because "it was only a lie about sex." It was a lie under oath. He managed to hang on and win re-election. He did however, also win humiliating footnotes for that lie, footnotes that will endure even unto his obituary, no matter his acuity in politics then and since then. Another heavy price for lying.

Some pols are indicted, tried, convicted or plead out over their lies: 60-odd people in the fallout of Watergate, many of them lawyers. Enough so the ethics code for lawyers had to be changed!

It remains to be seen what price the liar now in the Oval Office ends up paying for any of his monumental collection of casual, repeated, documented lies. The country seems to be paying quite a price for that collection already, even as it continues to grow and to divide us.

Just because we still have some lying pols around doesn't mean that they will always skate, nor does it mean that all pols are inveterate liars either. We do live in an era of disinformation but we don't yet live in a world where there are no truth tellers.

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Sanders isn't a politician. She's a mouthpiece. A lying megaphone. She has lost whatever LITTLE credibility she may have had left. Further proof that "fake news" often starts within the WH.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

If she was replaced does anyone actually think things would be different?

21. Zenithal macrumors 604

22. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well her salary is around 180K so we know the price of her integrity. Also her role is tax payer funded. So I think we should have a say ;)

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Ha, that would be entertaining. A Senate confirmation hearing for WH Press Secretary.

One could be forgiven for imagining that telling lies effectively is a prerequisite skill for the job. How then to interview a suitable nominee under oath with any certainty of whether one's been lied to or not. And if not, does that mean the nominee's not up to the tasks of the office of WH Press Secretary?

It might have parallels to a scene with Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass...

When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

"The question is," said [Senator] Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master, that's all."

[Senator] Alice was too much puzzled to say anything....

So after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. "They've a temper, some of them --particularly verbs, they're the proudest—- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs; however, I can manage the whole lot. Impenetrability! That's what I say!"

24. jerwin macrumors 68020

Trump once exclaimed that he "could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and not lose any voters.".

25. Krayzkat Suspended

Where’s all the usual Trump apologists in this thread?