Sarkozy Exits with Class

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, May 6, 2012.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't agree with his politics, but I love this statement ...

Well said.

Now get out. ;)

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

3. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Its France, not some middle eastern dictatorship. I'm totally not surprised and expected exactly that.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    New guy looks hard workin and, well a bit dull.

Probably exactly what politics needs right now.

5. Andeavor macrumors 6502

We'll see, let's hope he'll have a similar relationship with chancellor Merkel or we can kiss the Euro and the EU goodbye.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think he will be the ideal counter weight to Merkel's cut and burn policies. :D

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

His wife makes up for it.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Really? I feel it's exactly what I was expecting. A short (no pun intended) remark implying Hollande is not going to [be able to] do what he has promised.

----------

Merkel and Sarkozy were Merkozy. Merkel and Hollande, will it be Merde?

----------

No. Marine le Pen would have been the bigger winner if Sarkozy won. Now, the left have five years to try and change FN's voters' opinion. If they fail, FN will have won over more voters - but I'm guessing there will never be a FN president.

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They are not married (although conservative countries,Islamic,Catholic,U.S. etc will no doubt force them to)

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Nothing became him like the way in which he left office.

Sarkozy was a nasty enough piece of work, arrogant, egotistical, elitist, opportunistic, irresponsible, devoid of principle, breath-takingly rude and addicted to crude and vulgar displays of wealth and status. It is nice to think that he finally acquired some of the dignity the office required and had a right to expect, but it is a pity that it took him so long to do so.

Nothing wrong with dull. Hollande doesn't seem to trail clouds of cordite, he is hard-working, low-key, level-headed and still somewhat idealistic. Reports I've read suggest that he also has a sense of humour. He'll be a welcome change from Sarkozy.

He may well serve to temper them a bit, which would be welcome.

No, although she has done horribly well. Actually, I think she would have a bigger winner had Sarkozy won.

Agree.

No, they are not married and nor was he married to the mother of his four children, Ségolene Royale. Not necessarily; but the precise position of his partner may present challenges for the protocol departments of various foreign ministries when he undertakes foreign visits.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Please explain why you believe this. Do you have any examples of countries trying to force other countries' leaders to marry their partners, or in any other way try to interfere with their personal choices?

Considering Sarkozy divorced his wife and married Carla Bruni just after his taking office five years ago without these conservative countries saying a word about it, I'm guessing they won't try to interfere with this president's personal love life either... And a good example of a conservative, catholic country would be Italy. Berlusconi, anyone?

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Ed Miliband has spoken openly about the political pressure he faced when taking leadership of the Labour party. Though he said he was resistant to it, I don't doubt he decision to get married was influenced in some way.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The far right will only be the big winner if Hollande fails badly.

Good luck with that, you do know that French call her Madam Rottweiler. :D

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

This. Hollande has his work cut out for him now, hopefully he really is the man for the job.