Sarkozy speaks out against burka

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 22, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Can't say I disagree personally...though I'm sure he's opening a big can of worms.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When he says it's not welcome, does he mean it will be illegal to wear one?

I don't agree with the practice either, but if you want to wear one, that's your right.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't have a problem with banning the practice of requiring someone to wear one, but what if she chooses to? Is that a problem?

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If a person has been brainwashed from birth, can they ever make a fee choice?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sure they can. I've lived most of my life in the U.S. and as such I've been brainwashed into wearing pants.

If I moved to Scotland, and they passed a law banning pants on men, and you had to wear a kilt, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with that. I'd prefer to keep wearing pants.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you a male in a female dominated society? Is the wearing of pants a means for those women to subjugate you? To deny you your human rights?

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I have to say I agree with him. There is nothing in Islam that requires such complete coverage of the female body, and surely the burka has taken the notion of "dress modestly" to a major extreme.

8. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Well, by God, we'll make the choice for them!

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So your idea of "human rights" is for a government to tell you you have to stop wearing clothing you choose to wear and requiring you to wear something different, rather than giving you a choice....wow.

Doesn't matter whether I'm in a female-dominated society - I prefer to choose my own clothing, not have the government choose it for me.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it a right in France? I'm not sure.

I agree though- if someone wants to wear the burka, let them. However, I reserve the right to criticize them without having to fear for my life.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Surprisingly a lot of Muslim women prefer to wear the burka. To suggest that these women should shun their religion to adhere to a law that in it's very essence displays a state control of religion is no better than the state run Muslim religions of other countries.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm... well I don't know about that. I can tell you where I would rather live. ;)

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I know about that. I know some Muslims. Besides I thought people didn't want the government to meddle into religion. I suppose it's ok to do that as long as the religion is Islam ?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know some muslims too. What does that have to do with anything? I can tell you this- given the choice between France and Iran, I know where I'd want to live. And it ain't Iran.

Of course, that would mean I'd have to put up with the French. :eek:;):D

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not even sure if I approve of them being banned in public schools. Since most manner of hats are typically prohibited in schools, I can see how there is some pre-existing ground to outlaw them, but I would hope that similar rules would be enforced for turbans, yarmulke and the like, and that restrictions would apply only to hats. I believe anyone who works in public service should not be permitted to wear religious garb, which would of course include teachers, but the general public should be free to dress in whatever religious cloth they choose.

I'd like to hear from some women on the subject before I'd be willing to reach a verdict either way.

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

To be fair to the French, all conspicuous religious symbols are banned in public schools.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I realize this but Sarkozy wasn't referring to public schools.

"Mr Sarkozy also gave his backing to the establishment of a parliamentary commission to look at whether to ban the wearing of burkas in public.

Wearing of the veil is already outlawed in France's state schools."

Does Sarkozy now wish to dictate what religious garment a person wears in public ?

18. Queso macrumors G4

I'm not quite sure what Sarkozy is attempting to achieve here, but the State has no right to dictate what people wear IMO.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

In certain situations it should. No one should be allowed to wear a burqa for an ID/passport photo because it's not much of an identification if you can't tell who's in the photo. Also, no one should be allowed to wear one while driving because I'd imagine those things limit the field of vision, especially peripheral vision and severely impairs their ability to see what's around them.

20. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I don't know how it is in France, but I knew Muslim twins who wore the veil because they felt that American society put too much pressure on how women appear in public, and judged them based on that. By covering their bodies, I suppose they felt that it removed this bias.

21. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I have to disagree with you. From my perspective, I think that you can choose to wear whatever you want in a private setting. If you're going public, you have to comply with certain rules. The burka and other "clothes" accessories are a pain in the butt when it comes to ID people in a hospital, a bank and such.
    If you want to practice Islam it is absolutely fine. However you have to comply to the rules the same way we all do.
    I support Mr Sarkozy in that effort 100%. We always had a tradition in France to keep religions separated from our public lives, that should stay that way.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Sarkozy isn't talking about cases of ID, or any other situation on government or private land. He wants an outright ban. What business is it of the governments what people wear when walking along a public street? So what if people get offended? People should stop attempting to impose their views on what is correct onto others.

23. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Tomorrow, the burka is designed to hide an attractive female from the eyes of anyone but her husband, so as to reduce the risk of adultery. Within this concept, the woman's right to sleep with anyone she pleases is taken away. That is degrading and misogynistic. End of story.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always wondered how you could hold any kind of social life or hold down any job whilst wearing such a thing. It masks your identity and I think that's too potentially dangerous. So I have to (for once) agree with Sarkozy.

25. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Are you sure you are not confusing the burka with hijab? The burka is not a widespread dress code, definitely not outside Afghanistan, some areas of Pakistan, and some in Saudi.