Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnHa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hi guys,

I've been reading all the optical caddy and SSD threads 'til my eyes bled, and just wondering if anyone else has attempted to upgrade their late 2008 unibody Macbook 13".

I want to breath new life into my old laptop and I am planning to get a Nimbitz or Fenvi optidrive from ebay and want to put a boot SSD in there, probably the Samsung 830 256GB. But, I've read here and on OWC's data doubler description page that putting a SATAIII drive into the optibay will result in only SATAI speeds (1.5Gb/sec).

Has anyone else put a SATAIII 6.0Gb/sec drive into an optidrive bay on their late 2008 Macbook and are booting from it?

Should I get a SATAII SSD instead, in the hopes that it will yield a more reliable 3.0 Gb/sec negotiated speed?

I would prefer to get a 6.0Gb/sec drive because I will probably retire this laptop in the next 12-18 months and put the drive into my next laptop, probably a 15" MBP.

Thanks,
John

Ant-honey

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2004
No, you don't want to put a 6G SSD in your MBP's optical bay. I would check and see i you can get 6G speeds at all in that model year, even in the regular HDD bay.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No, you don't want to put a 6G SSD in your MBP's optical bay. I would check and see i you can get 6G speeds at all in that model year, even in the regular HDD bay.

Only the 2011 MBPs and up have S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) in the HDD bay, some of those even have S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) in the optical disk drive (ODD) slot.

Anyway, I have my S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD (Vertex 3) in an optibay in my 2009 MBP, which only has S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) in both slots (HDD and ODD). It works for me, I only had to upgrade the firmware of the SSD.

JohnHa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011

Um, I'm well aware that my 5,1 only has SATAII.

----------

Anyway, I have my S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD (Vertex 3) in an optibay in my 2009 MBP, which only has S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) in both slots (HDD and ODD). It works for me, I only had to upgrade the firmware of the SSD.

That's encouraging. Can I ask which optibay you have? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.