Saturday Night Live attacks iPhone and AT&T, uses Google Pho...

MacBytes

macrumors bot
Original poster
Jul 5, 2003

Category: Humor
Link: Saturday Night Live attacks iPhone and AT&T, uses Google Phone as its weapon
Description:: The attacks on iPhone and its exclusive carrier in USA , AT&T are far from over. No Verizon hasn’t done the honors this time. Saturday Night Live (SNL) (telecasted on CNBC) is the source of the latest swipe on Apple’s high flying mobile phone. Google Phone aka Nexus One was used as the attacking weapon by the folks at SNL. Not only they declared the Android powered phone from Google as an iPhone competitor but also laughed over AT&T’s poor service.Details and a funny video right here

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
Apple should sue the **** out of NBC for defamation! That'll show em who's really boss, hoss.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pssh, so Saturday Night Live is bartering their poor track record for being funny to claim credibility as spokespeople for cell phone users?

I'd rather they concentrate on being funny at least occasionally.

JonB3Z

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
The bit was (slightly paraphrasing):

"Google announced a new phone today as a challenge to the iPhone. Also a challenge for the iPhone: making phone calls."

Much like being funny is a challenge for SNL. Where have you gone, Mr. Robinson?

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
Millions of phones sold under AT&T, I would think more than most any single phone in the world....yes, service sucks, but every company wishes they had an iphone to offer. Would I go to verizon if they had the iPhone? YES, in a New York second, however, I would venture to say, most of us are with AT&T because of the iPhone, not the company.

brandonphoto

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
switched to droid

I generally like most of Apples products, including the iphone, but finally got tired of AT&T. Lost a $1800 client because they failed to deliver a voice mail for an entire month!

Given the Droid isn't what most Apple fans would call a "sexy or slick" device, but it does EVERYTHING the iphone does, and IMHO somethings better. Oh and it also makes calls without dropping them!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Why not a cheap Verizon phone for voice calls, and an iPod Touch for the rest? That way you can get the only really good thing Verizon can do - voice coverage in more rural places, less dropped calls because it's not GSM, which from what I understand, doesn't make the switch from one cell tower to the other without dropping the call - that's what I was told once. That makes the call-dropping issue more a GSM thing, and the cell diameter or range from each tower is shorter with GSM than CDMA. But, some form of GSM is where it's all going down the line because of the limitations of CDMA, although there are some things CDMA does better - but voice and data simultaneously isn't one of them.

natewhite76

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
3G internet!

Good idea, BUT you're forgetting about 3G internet. Not everywhere your going is going to have a wifi connection and for me being always connected to the Web is essential.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I generally like most of Apples products, including the iphone, but finally got tired of AT&T. Lost a $1800 client because they failed to deliver a voice mail for an entire month!
Now I'l admit AT&T's service isn't the greatest, but I had way more delayed or lost voicemail's on Verizon when I was with them.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Why not a cheap Verizon phone for voice calls, and an iPod Touch for the rest? That way you can get the only really good thing Verizon can do - voice coverage in more rural places, less dropped calls because it's not GSM, which from what I understand, doesn't make the switch from one cell tower to the other without dropping the call - that's what I was told once. That makes the call-dropping issue more a GSM thing, and the cell diameter or range from each tower is shorter with GSM than CDMA. But, some form of GSM is where it's all going down the line because of the limitations of CDMA, although there are some things CDMA does better - but voice and data simultaneously isn't one of them.
Well I have a Droid and an iPod Touch and other then a better music player I don't see how the Apple device is any better. I do have music on my phone, but I like using the iPod for listening to save my phone battery for calls, internet, and apps.

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
Well I have a Droid and an iPod Touch and other then a better music player I don't see how the Apple device is any better. I do have music on my phone, but I like using the iPod for listening to save my phone battery for calls, internet, and apps.
oh you must have never used safari or opened up the app store then.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
oh you must have never used safari or opened up the app store then.
I find that the browser works well on the Droid and other then multi-touch performance is equal. Apple has more available applications, however I have been able to find plenty of great apps in the Android market. Yes, I know that the phone is not the "right" brand, but I have found it to be an excellent iPhone alternative in a place where the iPhone is still not available.

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
I find that the browser works well on the Droid and other then multi-touch performance is equal. Apple has more available applications, however I have been able to find plenty of great apps in the Android market. Yes, I know that the phone is not the "right" brand, but I have found it to be an excellent iPhone alternative in a place where the iPhone is still not available.
So you are telling me you believe everything about the droid besides the music player is just as good or better than the iphone? safari, app store, computer syncing, touch screen, multi touch, UI, maps, on screen keyboard, video camera, network (att sucks blah blah blah, i know still the fastest 3G internet and allows you to talk on the phone and use internet at the same time)

Droid is a solid phone, but no where close to the iphone.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
So you are telling me you believe everything about the droid besides the music player is just as good or better than the iphone? safari, app store, computer syncing, touch screen, multi touch, UI, maps, on screen keyboard, video camera, network (att sucks blah blah blah, i know still the fastest 3G internet and allows you to talk on the phone and use internet at the same time)

Quoting marketing commercials isn't a good come back.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

Yes everything is as good as far as the device itself. The Touch is nicer for syncing with my iMac, but I do fine with drag and drop on my Droid.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone else may have engineered a product that is just as good as the iPhone? I keep hearing people on these message boards saying "the iPhone is much better," but honestly I don't see it. The media player on my Touch is better and so is syncing, but the rest of the device works just as good. In some cases, the Droid is better in terms of customization, multi-tasking and the notification panel. I only have an iPod Touch so maybe the iPhone is better, but I am just saying both devices have their strengths and weaknesses and in the end both work well.

AT&T having faster 3G and allowing you to talk and surf doesn't really matter to me. I live in South Dakota so you can go and check the map and see why someone would choose Verizon over AT&T here. Network reliability is the most important thing when you drive roads that have nothing but fences and cattle for 30 to 40 mile stretches. The fact that Verizon can run a reliable network in the middle of a large city and in the middle of nowhere says a lot. I think you would agree.

growlf

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2004
Droid vs. iPhone

I actually was expecting to like the Droid much more than I did. My comparison is a 3GS, but the Droid felt "clunky". The interface was sluggish (scrolling/zooming photos), inconsistent in appearance, switched between portrait/landscape with no visual feedback to show the change, and... dare I say it... kinda ugly.

The iPhone is just extremely elegant.

I *really* hope that Android forces Apple to improve the iPhone experience faster. I can get everything I want if I jailbreak the phone, but there's no reason why I should have to do that just to set a wallpaper that is visible behind my friggin' icons.

As for multitasking - I spent 14 days using the "Multiflow" trial (Google it - very slick) on my jailbroken phone. What I discovered was that I could launch apps as quickly as I could "multiflow" between them. Most apps I use save their state, so there was very little difference between having things running in the background and just launching apps. Battery life was definitely impacted by running the background apps, so, until battery technology (or the associated "consumers" of batteries) improves, I don't see a huge benefit...

I think Apple has a winner with their pseudo-background notifications. They work great when properly implemented (I use Sportaculous, Umbrella, and Knocking Video) and they don't cost me anything as far as battery life goes. Apple's iPhone SDK is a thing of beauty, and I don't see Android matching that anytime soon. In fact, I think the Android development process may become a bit of a mess since the Android platform can run on a wide range of hardware. I can see a very fractured app store forming. Apple has alittle bit of this going on with the variations of the iPhone, but, in general, the experience from device to device is very very similar.

Android may well end up being the "Windows" of Smartphones, but the iPhone is definitely still a Mac. Poor Pre.