Saudi Arabia and the West

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rovex, May 15, 2013.

1. rovex macrumors 65816

Saudi Arabia - The only country left to execute public beheadings. Can this really be the US's closest ally in the middle east after Israel?

I thought the west liked democratic leaderships.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Of course. It is the only major nation in the middle east that has any OIL.

BL.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you implying that Israel is in any way better than SA?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Israel is not perfect, but at least they're not chopping heads off people in the town square for such horrible offenses such as renouncing religion or being gay.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Just running over innocent protectors with bulldozers...

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Protesting in front of a bulldozer when the driver can't see you practically guarantees a nomination for that year's Darwin Award.

7. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

But they have extremely low crime rates in the Kingdom. So capital punishment does work as a deterrent!

Source

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Sure the west like democratic leadership; but doesn't really matter if it's just leadership; without democratic. As long we have our benefits that's all fine. :eek:

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Our history clearly shows otherwise. We much prefer client oriented dictatorships that we overthrow only once it's clear they are no longer pliable to our geopolitical goals.

Why else would we be allies with the breeding ground of terrorism if there wasn't a greater prize in it for us?

Remember, we've got a great PR mechanism in this country when it comes to shaping the public understanding of our foreign affairs.

----------

One of which was an America, bet most people haven't heard about it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Corrie

There was a great piece on Democracy Now! a few months ago to commemorate the anniversary of her death.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Man confronts tank in Tienamen Square. Man wins.

By your reckoning he should have been nominated for a Darwin award. Instead, he is still alive, and that photo of him in front of the tank is the photo of the year for Time Magazine in 1989.

Nothing further left to say.

BL.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Bravest thing I have ever seen anybody do.

12. SprSynJn Guest

Didn't he climb the thing after it stopped? Heard he asked "why are you shooting my people?" That was as badass as they come.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:rolleyes:

Do you have any other comments you'd like to through here showing how little you care about the facts? It's clear that you haven't really looked into any of this but would rather resort to platitudes.

To say the construction crew simply didn't see her in the three hour confrontation is BS of the highest order.

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Obviously the guy driving the tank could see him. Which validates the point I made. If you can't be seen and you stand in front of a bulldozer until you die, you can't blame anybody but yourself.

Douglas Adams - The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

----------

Every time the case was tried, those trying to blame the bulldozer and/or driver for Corrie's incompetence lost.

YOU try looking at the facts.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm well aware of the results of those court cases. God knows justice has never been miss-served by Israeli (or our) courts. :rolleyes:

Are you under the impression that a woman being run over by a bulldozer after hours of standoff was somehow an accident?

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Are you under the impression that courts in Israel and the US didn't consider your question? The overwhelming evidence is that she acted the fool and was killed by accident.

17. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I believe she was run over twice. Tom Hurndall's (remember him?) mother famously said:

"It seems that life is cheap in the occupied territories. Different value attached to life depends on whether the victim happens to be Israeli, international or Palestinian."

I'd also note there was also "accidents" in the cases of Iain Hook, James Miller and Brian Avery.

18. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Please explain what your reply has to do with my comment that you quoted. The fact that the Intifadas resulted in deaths on all sides doesn't alter the circumstances of Rachel Corrie's demise.

"Stupidity is not illegal, but it is often fatal."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

19. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Truth be told, the personal confrontation lasted seconds, tops just a minute.

It seems unlikely he never saw her, but it might as well be possible that he saw her and then never realised exactly were she was. I mean, see a picture of the thing, they are huge and must have very poor visibility.

I admire her, she was obviously brave. But, in between that, she was also stupid for staying in front of such vehicle once she realised it wasn't stopping.

If the driver did it intentionally, he should be punished accordingly. But that doesn't removes the fact that this woman made an irrational and very risky action.

Attached Files:

20. Shrink, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Wrong. The argument that capital punishment is a deterrent dates back at least to 1764. Saudi Arabia has only existed since the 1930s.

The low murder rate in SA can be arguably attributed to swift capital punishment.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I repeat...the correlation you provide between capital punishment and crime rate represents the post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

Correlation does not imply causation.

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Most importantly capital punishment brings the recidivism rate down to zero.

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And I repeat: The low murder rate in SA can be arguably attributed to swift capital punishment.

This being a site for debate, you are entitled to submit your own interpretation of why the Kingdom has such a low crime rate.

True, correlation does not imply causation, but you're making the opposite fallacy – dismissing correlation entirely, as if it does not suggest causation.