Saudi Arabia gives Israel green light over its airspace!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, Jun 12, 2010.

1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7148555.ece

Saudi Arabia has conducted tests to stand down its air defences to enable Israeli jets to make a bombing raid on Iran’s nuclear facilities, The Times can reveal.

In the week that the UN Security Council imposed a new round of sanctions on Tehran, defence sources in the Gulf say that Riyadh has agreed to allow Israel to use a narrow corridor of its airspace in the north of the country to shorten the distance for a bombing run on Iran.

To ensure the Israeli bombers pass unmolested, Riyadh has carried out tests to make certain its own jets are not scrambled and missile defence systems not activated. Once the Israelis are through, the kingdom’s air defences will return to full alert.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It will be really interesting to see how this develops. One way or the other, Ahmadinejad somehow needs to be stopped. That man "ain't right." :rolleyes:

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Isolate Israel and then have them nuke Iran, seems convenient.

5. Shivetya macrumors 65816

The Saudis are deathly afraid of a nuclear Iran. Regardless of the posturing in the region I doubt that other than Syria the other countries in the region would not get too upset at Israel taking Iran out. They of course will let their own people rant in the streets and make some threats in political space but you can rest assured most would be thankful.

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Personally I think the US is biting their time until the troops are withdrawn from Iraq before either attacking Iran itself or giving Israel the go ahead. An Israeli strike is very likely, especially considering how hard they lobbied with the Russians not to sell Iran the surface to air anti aircraft missiles, which the Russians agreed to under the new sanctions.

I also think the bulk of US policy towards Iran (and the middle east in general) is motivated behind the scenes by Israel, including the latest round of sanctions, it's an attempt to cripple the country's defences ahead of an Israeli strike.

It's quite low of Israel to deny defence capabilities to another sovereign country so that when they attack that country's facilities that country has no way of defending itself. But hey, more of "the only democracy in the middle east" at work.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Al Jazeera picked up the Times article but added their own bit of reporting at the end of the story;

so perhaps the Times report is nothing but disinformation on the part of Israel?

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised, the flotilla incident was a public relations/image disaster and it's in their interest to shift the attention to something else ASAP, especially with all the calls of independent international investigations. The public best forget about the whole thing ASAP so a refocus is needed be it to this or the Iranian nuclear issue in general (which is one of their favourite targets for changing the subject).

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Why would they announce such a strategic piece of information before an attack? Is it meant to be a deterrence? A foil?

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't know if I believe this news entirely, but if it's true, then that's awesome!
    :D

[​IMG]

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

So are you suggesting that Iran as it is has no air defense capability? The sanctions are obviously going to impact only Iran's future purchases. I don't see how this has much to do with their installed base of surface to air missiles. It is probable that they already have the latest systems offered by Russia anyway. I would understand if your reference was to a prolonged conflict, but not to an Israeli strike mission targeting specific facilities.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

^^ Marvellous, the best channeling of Goebbels I've seen in some time. I thought there was a minimum age of thirteen to join Macrumours?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You've scraped right through the bottom of the barrel.

15. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

No, but without foreign hardware their systems might not be as effective. Of course there would also have major effects on their abilities if there were to be prolonged conflict (which if there is an air strike, there likely will be).

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Great Photo, thing here is if Iran gets the nukes then every mideast nation will want them and then you have the entire mideast armed to the teeth, not a good thing. Its still pretty funny how Iran pretends its a peaceful program they are hiding.:p

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So Saudi Arabia will or won't grant Israel fly over rights?

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Hypocrisy much?

Attached Files:

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Looks like the current purchase is going ahead. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...to-air-missiles-to-iran-despite-new-sanctions

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Who knows? It's certainly not a straight forward decision,it for instance could mean the end of the totally corrupt and U.S. backed regime in Saudi:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...-israel-air-corridor-for-iran-strike-1.295672

Here is a link which points to some of the difficulties which Israel would face if they decided on a aggressive attack on Iran.It's over a year old but points out the importance of the Russian S-300V missile system the possession of which no one is sure about although Mossad may know and that may be behind Israeli's thinking about attacking Iran before November:

http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/ev...plating-launching-nuclear-weapons-against-it/

21. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

This quote is especially amusing:
    What a world.

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no, they could fly south over the gulf of aqaba for a short distance and then turn east over saudi arabia

of course they wont!! perish the thought !!

but they might well look the other way while it's happening and then later say "hey! they shouldn't have done that......more tea anyone?" :p

Yeah, Iran has peaceful intentions alright.
    :D

[​IMG]

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's unfortunate. How quickly they reversed their position, having initially claimed that the S-300's would be included in the new sanctions. To them, business is business. It won't be their pilots who may be potentially targeted by these missiles, so what do they care....

25. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Surely if the Israelis have a right to defend themselves from a 60 year old unarmed man on an aid flotilla who they shot 4 times, the Iranians have the right to defend their facilities from any Israeli air strike. Or does it only work one way?