Saudi Arabia says all atheists are terrorists in new law to crack down on political dissidents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 14, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

me thinks they kind of missed the boat on that one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

2. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

3. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

might need to go there, which religion should i pretend to have?

4. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

the one the boss says to follow.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

If you need help to find real Muslims, this will help.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

can't pass as an arse-groper. viable options are jew, catholic or some other type of christian. all bad I suppose :p

whats the problem with atheism anyway... we just don't want to play that stupid game

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And considers atheism to be sorcery and sorcery to be a capital crime.

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I would think part of the reason these laws just got passed is related to the financial squeeze on the kingdom of Saudi Arabia due to how cheap oil is and how long the supply glut is expected to last, which is now up to a few years I believe.

Pumping more oil isn't going to fill the coffers. It's going to get harder to give the idle or underemployed next-gen royals (there are thousands of them now thanks to polygamous marriages and high birth rate) their allowances AND subsidize the usual household commodities for ordinary Saudis AND keep bribing the imams to look the other way on royal corruption and disregard for adherence to Islam.

Cannot elect to skip keeping ordinary people's stomachs filled or there will be hell to pay even without access to enough weapons. So next logical step is pass some laws to enable rounding up troublesome clerics as well as heretics (Shias whether imams or lowly oilfield workers), atheists, witches, the average troublemaker and the odd stray cat.

I'm not sure this is how Abdullah really wanted to act in this early time of his reign, but he's pretty much boxed in thanks to terrible decision making by his predecessors, agreements to sell oil to the USA and buy weapons and planes made by the USA, a pattern of bribing the clerics , and the full knowledge that not only do a lot of his subjects want to bring down the monarchy but a lot of his relatives, in the tradition of their own forebears, would love to depose and replace him. So in some ways this seemingly brash or even reckless decree is evidence the new king may be a rational actor. It won't be pretty but it might keep the kingdom from going up like a box of kitchen matches.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Wonder if Obama will arm or bomb the rebels should they rise

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

talk about your sixty four billion dollar question! shall we peg it to price of oil at the time?

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I would call them non-believers but not terrorists.

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

Glad to see the anti Islam crew showing their independent thought skills at their best :D

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Good to see the self hating censorship brigade out as well. Any religion that would kill me in the 21 century for being atheist, homosexual or being a rape victim is barbaric. Don't give me that "not all muslims" crap, most muslims support Sharia law.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And they are one of our closest Middle East allies. :rolleyes:

Religion, while it can be a force for good, is frequently the path to falling down, holding us back, used as a vehicle to unleash our prejudice and intolerance towards different faith based views. You know why it's called faith...

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's all so simple in your world, isn't it?

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Source?

Or are you just regurgitating something you heard someone say?

Lets be honest, if you're really resorting to phrases such as "don't give me that crap" you're not really interested in discussion about the topics at hand are you?

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

When political leaders and their followers start categorizing a particular group as inherently "barbaric," we stand at the beginning of a very slippery slope.

Once a group is seen as intrinsically less than us, it becomes much more acceptable to do things to them that we would never tolerate within our own group. This is itself barbaric and uncivilized, regardless of what the extreme wing of any group is doing.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you know (or let's be honest, care) what Wahhabism is?

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The reason Abdullah now enfolds atheists into "terrorists" in the new decree may be an attempt to modernize somewhat the "sorcery" charge that has usually been applied to heretics, atheists and other non-adherents to Islam. "Sorcery" as a capital crime in SA has always raised eyebrows in the West but "terrorism", hmm...

The emergence of this decree just now should also be seen in the light of Saudi Arabia's recent and extremely controversial execution of a Shia imam from eastern Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Nimr Baqr al-Nimr.

Sheikh Nimr's sermons advocated empowerment of the Shia minority but had stopped short of advocating violent overthrow of the monarchy. He also favored Sunni-Shia cooperation in resisting oppression by rulers in the region generally, which stance alarmed the Saudis in particular. He had been imprisoned on a number of charges including sedition while supporting Arab Spring protesters, was convicted and sentenced to death in 2014. However, he was executed in the same timeframe as mass executions at several Saudi prisons of more than 40 Sunnis convicted for terrorism as followers of Al Qaeda up to ten years ago.

Shias from within and outside Saudi Arabia took exception to the execution of Sheikh Nimr at all but especially for having occurred at the same time as mass executions of the imprisoned jihadis; in Iran the protests spilled over to rioters who attacked the Saudi embassy in Teheran.

So the decree issued by Abdullah can also be seen as an effort to try to deflect charges by Iran that there's no difference between Saudi application of Sharia law and random ISIS terrorism. Abdullah's decree proposes instead that the basis for Sheikh Nimr's imprisonment and execution was the same as for punishing jihadi violence against the state itself, i.e. the kingdom has expanded "terrorism" to include dissidence more generally.

Several media accounts have mentioned that Sheikh Nimr had belittled the late Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz, a former head of the Interior Ministry, on the day of Nayef’s funeral. Nayef’s son, Mohammed bin Nayef is now crown prince and runs that ministry, which carries out Saudi death sentences. One would not suppose any of that portended a happy outcome for Sheikh Nimr regardless of any tweaks of Saudi law or opinions from outside the kingdom. Who knows whether Abdullah saw eye to eye with the crown prince on any of these executions at this time, but if he did not, apparently he thought it unwise to try to prevail.

The challenge for Western powers now is how to try to defuse the Saudi-Iranian confrontations over Sheikh Nimr’s execution. They need to try to get the two parties to settle down so that other negotiation efforts related to strife in the region (the Yemen conflict, the Syrian conflict), since both the Saudis and Iranians had agreed to be involved in these talks.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Saudi Arabia is in a bad economic position at the moment. Economic downturn leads to social unrest, and in an autocratic, repressive society like Saudi Arabia the symptoms of that unrest have the potential to become quite violent.

I think we should be as worried about the consequences of the weakening of the Saudi government as we are about the outrages inflicted by its repressive and backward legal system.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Blowing a billion bucks a month in Yemen seems pretty optional, that may be the only reason they could be manuevered to the table for the Vienna talks.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Human beings at least a portion of them revel in this activity, simplicity is easy, dealing with the reality is a lot harder.

25. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Lets be honest, there is nothing that the religion of peace could ever do to make you open your eyes.

here are some sources, not that you really care.

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/

if you think the ones in the USA are a bit better, think again over 51% in the USA would support sharia law.
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/260473/51-us-muslims-want-sharia-robert-spencer

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpres...on-muslim-world-paints-a-distressing-picture/

If the Pope advocated the following ,death for apostasy, stoning women, FGM, killing atheists and killing homosexuals, you and every other SJW would also call Christianity the religion of peace.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2016 ---
    It really is, have you ever read what sharia law is?
    When the extreme wing is mainstream or at least supported by the mainstream I would call that barbaric.
    When 86% of Egyptians believe death should be the punishment for leaving Islam, I call that a big problem.

When is it a problem, when 150% of Muslims have the belief?
    I don't care, could you explain why I should?