Saudi Arabia sentences man who renounced Islam to death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Feb 24, 2015.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ty-to-man-who-renounced-his-Muslim-faith.html

And those guys are our allies. Someone please explain to me how they're any better than ISIS.

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Allies and enemies can change at the drop of a hat. They are not "better" or "worse" than some other regime. It is all part of exerting and staying in power. Welcome to reality. ;)

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

We wouldn't chop his head off, I could tell you that much. Personally, I'd support his right to freedom of speech even if I didn't agree with it.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Only idiots would give a ****, you know, those America is the ****ing best country ever and we can do no wrong, types.

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Makes sense now.

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

8. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

This a ruling from a state that happens to be Muslim.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

They wouldn't sentence him to death.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I don't see why everyone is so outraged by this. Contrary to the title of this thread, this guy isn't being put to death for renouncing his faith.

He intentionally posted an offensive video online in order to make a political statement. Yes, it was ill-advised to do such a thing while living in Saudi Arabia but ultimately he knew what the consequences would be but yet he chose to do it regardless.

11. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

The court wouldn't sentence him for death but many will ask for his neck.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Desecrating the American flag, last I heard is legal. It's considered free speech. While many Americans migh disapprove, I don't see the vast majority thinking it to be an offense that deserves jail time, much less death. I agree with the premise that this kind of intolerance makes Saudi Arsbia, not much better than ISIS. It's heinous. Freedom of religion is a basic right that all people should enjoy. A coerced religion is a corrupted religion. If there is judgement, let God do the judging and stop pretending to be wise in such matters as if you (not you personally) would know what God approves or disapproves of.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I know this is very old news and now irrelevant but just for laughs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

And although not illegal to desecrate the flag, it is often argued that it should be:

14. juanm, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

So what? There are many reasons some people would argue to ask for someone's neck. The important issue here is a court has sentenced someone to die for a harmless act of personal freedom. And the bigger issue is that because they have oil (and now, assets) we western countries play along with them and call them our allies.

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I wouldn't say it's harmless. Islam plays a huge role in Saudi Arabia, insulting it in such ways can be very harmful.

Once again, I put emphasis that I disagree with the ruling but I personaly believe it's unfair to bash Saudi without first looking at ourselves.

Either way, you're in Saudi, follow their laws. There are better ways to fight for freedom of speech.

16. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Who cares if someone did that? The flag is just a piece of cloth. You want to burn it? Stomp on it? Go ahead. The object is not important, it's the ideals it represents that matter.

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yep, stupid headline. It sounds as though he was intentionally looking for martyrdom (is there an atheist equivalent to 'martyrdom'?).

18. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Not fair to bash Saudi Arabia foe sentencing someone to death because they renounced being a muslim? That's crazy.

19. Huntn, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What better way? Religion as wielded by Saudi Arabia has its citizens by the throats. A group of liberals would have to rise up and verbally disagree with the policy which could land them in jail for religious subversion.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

A state that practices Sharia ( شريعة‎ ).

21. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

How is this possible? Islam is a religion of Peace and Christians were in the crusades 1500 some odd years ago...

22. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It is logical. The problem - however - is that when muslims enter the world of kafir (كافر‎) they don't think the same, i.e. when you are there follow their laws, when they are here, they follow their own laws.

----------

And now we have Jihad (جهاد‎)...

23. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

stylinexpat

This is obviously not good. I doubt though that they would actually carry out an execution for this. This would not be good for Saudi Arabia to implement such an execution during times like this in the Middle East as this would fuel lunatics like ISIS to commit more crimes under the name of ISLAM.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is still plenty of justification to criticize. I admit that the offense is held in the minds of the collective group. I can still look at injustice and call it out for what it is. Just because it's a law somewhere does not make it right.

The flip side is that the group of the religious intolerant would look at me and condem my views. Pragmatically it boils down on some level to majority rule. But I can still judge and rightfully so, I'm that confident in the universal fairness and wisdom of my standards. :D

25. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

He didn't just renounce, he insulted the religion by burning a holy scripture.

----------

Anyway that does not involve insulting the established laws in the worst of ways possible.