Saudi Arabia soccer team apologizes for declining moment of silence for England terrorist attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I would argue that your thread title is quite possibly misleading - and your actual post somewhat disingenuous.

Do you wish to discuss Saudi culture, Arab culture, or Muslim culture? They are not all the same thing, and I suggest amending your thread title accordingly.

If - as the link suggests - the Saudi football team declined to participate in an expression of respect, then, that is what the thread title should make clear it wishes to discuss.

However, your post seems to suggest that you would prefer to condemn the Washington Post ("fake news").

So, which is it? A critique of Saudi culture? A blanket condemnation of Arab culture - attempting (erroneously) to conflate it with Muslim culture? Or a desire to put the boot into The Washington Post?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

If anything I think it's telling of the SAUDI culture and regime.

What Football (Soccer) teams do is always scrutinised back at home, from a political standpoint. To the masses, they are as much a speaker of their country as any government envoy. They have clear instructions on how to behave, and they are very much aware of the retaliations they'd face if they didn't respect them.

So yes, in a way you're right: this says a lot about the Saudi regime. Also worth mentioning, Trump just sold hundreds of billions worth of weaponry to these same guys who only differ from ISIS in that we are their *itches because they have oil and investments in our countries.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It was in very poor taste, whatever the reason. And:

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The religion of love and peace. Terific people.

5. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Does it speak to Arab culture? Sure, but not in a negative way the OP is trying to make it into.

Different cultures, different rules. No big deal.

6. HEK Suspended

HEK

Well he actually didn't really sell all that much. Turns out when you look at details it is multiple procurement request, many started during Obama administration, still in process of getting all the t's crossed and i's dotted. Further bidding and done deal are far cry from a signed real estate deal Trumpster is used to. Government defense and arms procurement works quite bit differently. But hey those are details, and we sure know Trump can't be bothered with details, transparency, or truth. So let's just take credit for whole thing as if I negotiated it all in a day.

7. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

I don't care much whatever you're religion or beliefs but this was in my view the most disgusting thing I have witnessed at a sporting event.

The way they also explained really had me mad, they said it is not in their culture to partake in minutes silences, yet they were photo'd and videoed offering a minutes silence for their King who died and the Brazilian Football teams players who died in a plane crash before they played Barcelona.

Either way if you cannot respect the poor people who lost their lives in this tragedy and stand silent for a minute even if it isn't your belief then you are not human.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's OK. Saudis are Trump's friends. They can do as they please. No one can hold them accountable. They could even fund another 9-11 style terror bombing by Sunni jihadists, and both Trump and Republicans and Saudis will simply find someone else to blame…. like Iran. Or Qatar. Or Rosie O'Donnell.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's a bad idea to generalize on things that you may not understand in the first place. The Middle East isn't a single culture or society. Pretending otherwise has actually led to a lot of needless deaths in the region. You might recognize for example that Saudi Arabia is considered a US ally. We actively support their current regime due to US interests (not that I like it). Don't apply the same same judgement to everyone in the entire region.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Last clown was their friend as well

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Well then. Simple logic. If the corrupt House of Saud love befriending our Presidential Clowns…. then we should protest by electing non-Clowns in the future. That should keep them at a distance. Agree?

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The article said they apologized, but frankly I don't get it, why not observe a moment of Silence?

Now as far as Does this say it all about Muslims/Arab Culture... I think some further examination is required before making a blanket statement about 1.6 billion people.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well, no. That doesn't say it all about Muslim/Arab culture. It says something about those particular men. If they had taken part in that moment of silence, would that have led you to believe the opposite about Muslim/Arab culture? Or are you only looking for examples that confirm a negative impression?

What does it say about Muslim culture when over 100 imams condemn the terrorists and refuse to give them an Islamic burial?

14. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

No,it's a total fake,the Saudi royal family was among the first to send their condolences to the British government,only other eu countries where faster.

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

I am starting to understand this statement more and more now. It seems that many people simply do not know what cultural differences actually are. In another thread I was told that Europe is just like America! Uh, not even the countries that make up Europe are alike. This may be the crux of a much larger problem.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Lmmfao. We had a historic election between the worst there was and third parties still got nowhere

17. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

If this lone incident "says it all" about "muslims" and "Arab culture", does the attempts at converting people to Christianity say it all about Christians?

No culture or religion can ever be seen in such a narrow light as you are trying to portray it in.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet it is naivety like this that tries to tie culture to religion. They are mutually exclusive.

Homework assignment for you: find an article where people blame Christianity for the Clippers turning their warmup outfits inside out due to their former GM's racism in the name of "culture", or Kapaernick taking a knee for "culture".

BL.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I updated the title to represent the article's title.

20. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If they are really sorry they will have a moment of silence at their next match. I doubt they will.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How do we know that is the aspect of the article the poster wanted to address? To apologize for something they would have had to commit the act first, maybe the poster wanted to discuss why they made that choice?

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I've visited many places around this world, and have had the privilege to learn and immerse myself in many different cultures; I have yet to find a particular "culture" that has a standing issue to offering a moment of silence, regardless of what incident has occurred.

One sports team is not a representative of an entire culture; if one believes that, then that person shows a great bit of naivety about that, let alone any other culture.

BL.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Interesting how very misleading Trump thread titles don't get edited.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm gathering some people think some aspect Saudi/Arab/Muslim culture is to be retarded because standing there and keeping your mouth shut for a minute or two is not hard or complicated.

Personally I think that's far more insulting than just saying they were being rude and disrespectful of the dead.

Further I can almost assure you members of that club spoke English so it's not like they didn't understand what was going on across the board.