Saudi prepares to behead and crucify young blogger

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Our good friends, the Saudis...

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

****ing savages and our BFF no less. How the **** are we supporting a country that actively supports our enemies, was home to most of the 9/11 hijackers and governs as if it were the 5th century?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama & Bush love them.

4. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Let's not oversimplify a complicated international policy issue.

On that note, what a bunch of disgusting savages.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

In one word: petrodollars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrodollar

In three words: money, petroleum, stability.
    The word "stablity" refers to financial, economic, industrial, and political stability.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hold on there! I was under the impression that all cultures were equal and need to be respected... at least that's what I keep hearing in the media.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let us hope the Saudi's don't go through with this.

The sooner the West kicks its imported oil habit the better. Perhaps it's time to start asking at gasoline pumps where the companies are getting their oil from...

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Nobody gives a **** where the oil came from. People want it cheap and they want to get to work. Lets not kid yourself, if your running on fumes and you pull up to a gas station who gets it's oil from Saudi Arabia, you're not buying a gas can and walking your ass down to another gas station. You're filling up right there.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Unless you have an electric car.... Or, heaven forbid, walk or cycle to where you need to go.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There is a line between respecting other nation's right to manage their own affairs; and to observe their own customs - and enabling tyranny and brutality. And our Government's silence crosses that line.

Its high time the US; Britain; France; Germany; and the other Western nations stood up and told the Saudis its time for them to make some changes in the way their country's legal system works. Stoping public beheadings and floggings would be a good place to start. Because I don't believe - even among a conservative Muslim population - there are too many people who think they are a good idea.

The time to do it is now. Why? Because we in the US are nearing energy independence. Iran will be rejoining the world oil market. And oil prices are low. We hold most of the cards.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Our "habit" is the petro dollar

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

His crime? "Rioting and attacking police" which he confessed to under torture. You gotta question the veracity of any confession obtain under torture.:mad:

Rioting? Attacking the fuzz? Clearly the guy an unrepentant threat to society.:rolleyes: They ought to raze his home and salt his lands as well.o_O:rolleyes:

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I guess in KSA enhanced interrogation techniques would include "sand boarding"?

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

The same reason why Bin Laden was a CIA asset and his family, close friends of the Bushs made their fortune from the Saudi emperor.

The same reason the CIA sponsored Al Quaida, armed, equipped and trained ISIS.

Can't you put two and two together?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7th or 1st, surely?

The funny thing is, Mohammed was in all likelihood based in Syria himself until Mecca was selected by his hagiographers.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I was reading that to the beat of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme, and, you know, it worked up until the end.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Source?

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Small wonder that Democratic administration friend, Obama supporter and unrepentant terrorist bomber Bill Ayers remains in America despite his deep antipathy for it.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

My understanding is that Bill Ayers hated imperialism and the Vietnam War, not the US in general. And while I don't necessarily agree with his methods, it's interesting how the right can condemn him and yet worship Cliven Bundy and his supporters, whom were willing to shoot Federal Agents.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or the police who shoot black people with impunity.

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

This guy gets it. The whole damn thing has been about protecting the dollar. WMD was just the politics and media BS to keep the people from realizing the truth. Saddam sealed his own fate several years prior when he refused to accept the US Dollar as payment. All the crap over there has had little to do with protecting the lives of their people. It's not about a humanitarian need or even the oil. Our number one export to the world, which is the linchpin of our economy and society is the US Dollar.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Oil > Morals

Apparently.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Oddly Obama was criticized early on his handling of relations with Saudi Arabia, as Saudi Arabia was still considered a long term ally. I can't find the links anymore, and I don't intend to dig through the wayback machine at the moment. The narrative changed later on to portray hims as a muslim.

I think the reason you're seeing more opposition to this relationship is that social media reports on some of their practices. I doubt anyone will break off relations in the near future though. There are other terrible regimes, yet we still maintain diplomatic relations with them.

I probably wrote something like that on here at some point. It's actually quite easy to judge other cultures and yet not see problems within your own. In the case of the Saudis, they seem to get more of a pass on human rights violations than many of the others in the region. That isn't a case of reserving judgement. It's highly selective.