Saudi women challenge driving ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Jun 17, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I love it. You go girls. Give me more of this. ❤

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...udi-women-begin-to-challenge-driving-ban?bn=1

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That country disgusts me. Let's hope the women there win this and are not beaten down even more for simply trying to drive.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Ah the joys of living in a Muslim country.

I love it when I visit there but I'm sure as hell glad I don't have to live there.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Where is Sharia law when you need it? Woman driving cars! Whats this world coming to in Saudi Arabia? Whatever happened to blaming woman for all the worlds evil?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why in the hell would you want to visit such an awful place?

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Absolutely good for them but I wonder about licensing with burkas. Should they gain the right to drive (there's a sad sentence) do they have the photos of their faces taken by a woman in private and show their license upon request the same way or what?

I've heard cases (here's one) of Muslim women wanting to wear their burkas in driver's license photos. I think that's a load of BS. Either expose your face for the photo like the rest of us or piss off and don't drive. It's identification, FFS. I have no patience for religious beliefs being forced into law.

So many Muslim beliefs, particularly over women are incompatible with any sort of fairness in life. I find it infuriating.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm still wondering why anyone in their right mind would want to visit such a place. My brother taught English there for a year and said it was an experience that he never wants to repeat. He told me some real horror stories. Another friend of mine just got back- he was required by his architecture firm to go there for a project. Since he's gay, he asked his company to send someone else- they wouldn't. He said it was really scary.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, that's one of those places you couldn't pay me enough to go. Although, as a Jew, I don't think I'd even be allowed in.

Iranians have more freedom than Saudis, and the Saudis are supposedly our allies.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, but screw all those places- horrible.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I am a traveler and I love backpacking and I would love to visit every country in the world as long as my safety was a priority.

As for a Muslim country, I should have been more specific. When I traveled I went to Egypt which is a bit more secular than places like Saudi Arabia due to their tourism industry.

I love the country, the culture (for the most past) and everyone I have met on my journeys have been very generous people and have felt very safe.

On the flip side though these Muslim countries punish people for driving, drinking beer, being gay and sex outside of wedlock. I find these laws to be devastating and against basic human rights. It makes me extremely sad and angry that people have to deal with this stuff.

I despise all religions but I despise the Muslim faith the most. In countries where it is law, very terrible things are the norm for the citizens and it truly makes me sad. I am thankful that when I visit these countries that my American passport allows me to leave the country at will. Most citizens of these countries could never leave if they ever wanted to.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm sure a good number of people can wonder the same thing about America.

The main message (that I read) is that change is best that comes from within.

We should stop trying to force change on Islamic cultures, and let them change naturally, as they will, with time.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah lets hold our breath while this keeps happening:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-19-stoned-death-beauty-contest-Ukraine.html

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- good luck with that. Islamic countries are stuck in the stone age. You'll never see it in your lifetime.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

With liberals like you, who needs conservatives? :rolleyes:

I'll bet $20 it happens in our lifetimes.

I guess I just have more faith in humanity that you two sourpusses. :D

15. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Or, you choose to ignore history.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

See? Just because we got to a point first, we think our **** doesn't smell.

American history isn't filled with happy bunny rabbits and rose blossoms.

Yet somehow we managed to make progress.

We just must be special, I guess. :rolleyes:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We aren't even there yet.

18. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You're on!!!!!

Best $20 I ever spent. :D

But no drooling into a cup for me, please.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would gladly take that bet and an easy one at that. Have you ever been to the Middle East? It is a night and day difference compared to how us Western nations act.

I hope you're right one day but I highly doubt we will see a significant change. If women are getting canned for drinking beer and being imprisoned for hopping a car then they have a LONG ways to go.

Either way, hope you're right.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

China used to be run by a bunch of down-jacketed commies who sent intellectuals to re-education classes.

Now they're poised to out-capitalize capitalists and become the next great superpower.

All within my brief lifetime.

So I've come to expect surprises.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And China also has a very poor human rights record. They've grown economically, but have a very long way to go socially.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And we don't?

Who in this world gets to sit back claim they "made it"?

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

No one is claiming that we made it but when you compare the life of Western nations to the Middle East then the differences are very obvious.

When people get punished and sometimes executed for being gay, having sex out of wedlock, drinking alcohol, driving a car, following a different religion then I will say we are in trouble.

Until that does happen though I can certainly say that us Westerners and even Muslim's that live in Western society have it 100x better than their peers back home.

24. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OP's prerogative follows.

No finger pointing, but could we keep this thread on track, about the plight of Women under extreme Islam.

The stone-age reference was amusing, but focusing our efforts in this area will do most to drag them into the 21st Century.

"Brother, you can believe in stones if you wish. Just don't throw them at me." - Wafa Sultan

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

What efforts do you think we should focus on? Should we go over there and shake our finger at them and make sure they let them drive cars?

The Middle East is going to do what they want and they have the oil money to do whatever they want. They don't care about us or our opinion of them. They are going to have to change on their own and that's what I'm what I'm fearful of.

The men have cars, the men live the lavish lifestyle. When I was in Bangkok last I saw a Middle Eastern man wearing a nice polo shirt and jeans just like me. His wife was decked out in an all black burka from head to toe, disgusted me. They were shopping for new clothes, well he was shopping for new clothes. They don't need to come from the stone ages cause the men have it good, they just don't care about the women.