Saudis rebuff Bush's request to pump more oil

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 16, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So If there is no demand why are prices so high?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Link here.

Demand is down, supply is up, but the dollar is in the toilet, and no one wants oversight against the oil companies, nor can anyone do anything about OPEC because we have no leverage.

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Um, because they're at maximum pumping capacity and don't want to admit it?

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

And the higher prices go the lower the dollar will sink.

The Fed can cut interest rates to 0 but it won't solve anything. The dollar needs to be worth something if we are ever going to recover.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Here's a novel idea, lets just drill for our own oil. Create a company that is american only, cutting out Chavez and OPEC, and set the price of oil at $50 a barrel, and then gas can go back down to about $1.50 a gal again. ;)

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ You already do, but you use too much so you have to import it too. Regardless it'd just be a temporary restbite.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you ditch all your SUVs, your air-conditioning, most of your trucks and your 24/7 lightfest, you might be able to survive on you own for a while, but you'd run out pretty soon anyway.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What is "restbite", pray? :confused:

9. bartelby macrumors Core

He meant respite

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I know. ;)

11. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

word

word +2

word +3

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

American oil companies are an important part of OPEC. The biggest oil company in the world is Aramco. It is jointly owned by SA and the US. They let the foreign countries face the cameras and take the blame. But, they have their dirty little mitts deep in the pie. The international oil cartel has no allegiance to national borders. It is the world's largest (and most corrupt) monopoly.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Who eats pie with mitts on :confused:

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Depends on whether they're straight from the oven. You don't want to get burnt, do you?

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Mitts:
    noun (usu. mitts)
    a mitten : oven mitts.
    • Baseball a mittenlike glove, worn by the catcher and first baseman.
    • a glove leaving the fingers and thumb-tip exposed.
    • informal a person's hand.
    PHRASES
    keep one's mitts off informal keep one's hands away from; not touch : keep your mitts off the fan control!

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's OPEC. Not the oil companies. How many times must I tell you in particular? Their change in profit margin is not even close to large enough to account for the change in gas prices. The price of gas has gone up 33%, don't you think if that was the oil companies fault they would make almost 33% more on each gallon they refine? It's not even close.

OPEC, is, in effect, a monopoly. They raise price far above marginal cost and profit maximize at a point that is higher than it otherwise would be were there not explicit collusion. It is simple.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You're still supposed to use a fork. Unsanitary.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

What about the people that don't have silverware? They've got to eat their tasty pies somehow.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

at least high prices will force people to use oil carefully.

Sadly, the poor will be effected first and most, many of which can't go buy a new car, to use less gas. While the rich could buy a new car, but they don't care because they can afford the gas.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if i were president......soome ideas i would have

1) all cars would have max displacement of say 2L for consumer uses with exceptions to commercial freight vehicles or special purpose for job req. this would only apply to autos

2)the us would get most power from nuclear plants and fade out coal/nat gas/oil/fossil fuel plants. there is no reason why we shouldnt be using more nuclear power in this day and age. the tech has come a long ways from say chernobyl era

3) cars would HAVE to have regenerative breaking of some sort to capture energy while breaking. whether the energy is simply stored or used for hybrid purposes is still up in the air in my mind

4) in order to have a license, you must hold a hs degree and must know how a car works in practice. this would in effect raise driving age to 18ish (i think 16 is way too young in todays society as i believe 16 was used so kids could help with farming or something)

as i said these are just ideas, whether they are stupid or not (which some probably are) it illustrates the point that something MUST change from the status quo

all i can say is im glad i have a motorcycle to help ease the fule prices in the summer months. 70mpgs doesnt hurt at all!

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

While plant safety is a serious concern, the main downside to nuclear power is dealing with the waste. Hanford is in my home state (WA). They have been burying waste there for many years. But the barrels sometimes leak. the AEC wanted to dump waste from the entire Country here. However, our governor and legislature said 'no way'. Until they come up with a safe way to deal with the waste, nuclear power is still a dangerous technology. If they ever do solve it, then it becomes much more attractive.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Whoa whoa whoa there, it's freakin' hot here. I'll do what I can, conserve as much as possible, but there's no way I'm giving up my air conditioning. I've been in a place with nothing but fans during a heatwave. Driven cars with broken ACs. Not going back there, ever. Sorry.

I was including them.

For one, see above. For 2, I did say OPEC. And 3, how many times must I tell you that I'm speaking mostly of things like corporate welfare when I reference the oil companies. If my tax dollars are going to the oil companies for things, it would be nice to know they're actually doing them. As I've pointed out when you bring this up, we pay them for alternatives they say they're working on, but really aren't. At least not as much as they say they are, and no where near as much as we pay them for. Same with refineries. They say there are obstacles to building new refineries, so we remove those obstacles and they still don't build them. We've also heard them say they're too expensive and won't be much good in a few years. Of course they'll still be used in the years to come, we're nowhere near being off of oil, and as for expense, see the corporate welfare. So no, their profits haven't gone up as far as prices have, but their profits are going up, to record highs, on a resources completely ingrained in our society and almost everything we have and use, and they still get corporate welfare, tax breaks, allowances for tax shelters, etc. but when called before Congress, it's all behind closed doors and off the record. You're right we have gone over this before.

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

My local news did a story on where the money goes. Pay $4.00 at the pump 18 cents goes to the station owner, 50 cents in taxes and $3.00 plus to the oil company.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Get a punkah wallah.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nuclear power plants take a long time to build so they can't come online instantly.

Sounds like a good idea, though it'd take time to implement (5 years probably).

Same difference.

Probably worthwhile, though I don't imagine it'd affect fuel usage significantly.

EDIT:

I've been to hot countries (30˚C all the time) on holiday and the time AC is most useful is when you are sleeping. But you can help that along by sleeping in a room with no windows and then you can more than make do with a single small AC unit. The other place AC is useful is in a club and possibly in transport (as its more fuel efficient than opening the windows).